Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:22 pm 
Laurie Kerr

one way or another i think Pagan is gone after last night but the question is - who would the Blues be better off with - Ratten or Voss

1 - Raten has expierience as an assistance coach, has he learnt enough & does he have a game plan that would not see us get blown out of the water like we did last night & really improve our style of play

2 - Voss has no previous expierience but has had enormous benefit of playing under Matthews for years & being involved in 3 premierships, would know how it all works very well, does he have a game plan that would see us prevail from where we are at the moment

Both have been champions of the game & have a smart footy brain but who in your opinion would make a better coach for Carlton

How much quicker will we improve on the field under either of them, are they the ones we should be looking at or is there some else out there that we have overlooked, lets hope clear minds prevail & the right decision is made soon as we cannot have a repeat performance like last night again, insipid performances cannot be tolerated anymore - it is not good enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

If i was Pratt and co i'd sack Pagan and give the caretaker role to Ratten for the remainder of the season (approx half)

See how Rats goes as the main man then make an assessment

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:30 pm 
Trevor Keogh

The fact that our forward setup looked 200% better the second Ratten stopped coaching the forwards, is of grave concern.

Voss > Rats

Must say though, I love Ratts for the player he was - true champion of CFC. Don't want him to coach though.

Post subject: ...
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:19 pm 
Ken Hands

Barry Mitchell can be caretaker for the next 11 games, under the instruction to develop the kids at all costs. (Everyone's favourite euphemism for tanking).

Come 2008 we start with picks 1 and X, a new coach providing a fresh direction, Nick Stevens, and Aisake on the main list.

And I'd rightfully expect finals.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:27 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

thrylos7 wrote:
If i was Pratt and co i'd sack Pagan and give the caretaker role to Ratten for the remainder of the season (approx half)

So what happens at the end of the year if we decide Ratts isn't the man yet?

We lose him as an assistant. It would be impossible for him to return as an assistant after being caretaker coach.

Let Pagan see out the season, make a decision then, and that decision still could very well be to let him coach season 2008 before deciding on a new coach. Ideally Voss will come on board as an assistant next season at the expence of Libba

Quote:
The fact that our forward setup looked 200% better the second Ratten stopped coaching the forwards, is of grave concern.

Did the forward set up look better because of the forward set up or because the midfield set up change. Carazzo has been on fire since Ratts became midfield coach. Walker has been spending more time in the midfield as well. Is that because Libba decided he didnt want him in the backline or because Ratts got his way and had him moved into the midfield?

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:43 pm 
Trevor Keogh

TruBlueBrad wrote:
Quote:

Did the forward set up look better because of the forward set up or because the midfield set up change. Carazzo has been on fire since Ratts became midfield coach. Walker has been spending more time in the midfield as well. Is that because Libba decided he didnt want him in the backline or because Ratts got his way and had him moved into the midfield?

Sorry TBB, but it's because of the forward change by Crosisca, not midfield change.

The proof for this is in our inside 50 stats while Ratts was forward coach. Think of the game against Adelaide: we had heaps more inside 50's and our midfielders did very well against Adelaide's. But our I50's were wasted due to a pathetic forward structure that did not help to isolate Fev and did not put alternative players in attacking positions.

Other games showed similar patterns. Midfield has been doing OK.

Crosisca has improved the forward set-up out-of-sight compared to Ratten. This is very visible at the games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:54 pm 
Garry Crane

Ratten with absolutely no doubt in the world!!!!!

The last thing we need is another experimental coach with no experience in the box, coaching is a completely different kettle of fish from being a special comments man on TV ( and another thing Voss has been less than inspiring with his special comments). We need some experience in charge.

Melbourne still raves about Ratten's contribution whilst he was there as an assistant.

Voss needs to do an apprenticeship, It is worrying when a great player believes they are immediately ready to cooach.....eg Tim Watson

(however either would do better than DP because they are excellent communicators, respected by the players and the assistant coaches)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:57 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

simonverbeek wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:
Quote:

Sorry TBB, but it's because of the forward change by Crosisca, not midfield change.

The proof for this is in our inside 50 stats while Ratts was forward coach. Think of the game against Adelaide: we had heaps more inside 50's and our midfielders did very well against Adelaide's. But our I50's were wasted due to a pathetic forward structure that did not help to isolate Fev and did not put alternative players in attacking positions.

Other games showed similar patterns. Midfield has been doing OK.

Crosisca has improved the forward set-up out-of-sight compared to Ratten. This is very visible at the games.

I think both the forward structure and the midfield have improved. Its been win-win.

The one thing I would say is that the forwardline has been as dysfunctional the last 3-4 years as it was early this season, not sure Ratts could be held responsible for it and not sure its just been Crossisca which has seen it look better of late.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

TruBlueBrad wrote:
thrylos7 wrote:

We lose him as an assistant. It would be impossible for him to return as an assistant after being caretaker coach.

Thats where things get complicated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:24 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

thrylos7 wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:
thrylos7 wrote:

Are you willing to risk losing him as an assistant?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

Buckley.

PS - and yes I know I posted the Voss story, but that was more due to the amusing timing of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

TruBlueBrad wrote:
thrylos7 wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:
thrylos7 wrote:

Are you willing to risk losing him as an assistant?

Thats the risk i guess, but at the same time he can prove himself in those weeks to prove to the hierarchy he is the man going forward.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:21 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

SOS will be the next coach of Carlton

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:21 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I would offer Voss the job... he has no friendships at the club or loyalties to players/officials and would make the hard decisions...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:19 am 
Ken Hunter

nightcrawler wrote:
Buckley.

PS - and yes I know I posted the Voss story, but that was more due to the amusing timing of it.

Ditto.

A garden to nurture and protect

#DopeThenStash

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:43 am 
formerly Josh Kaplan

Buckley

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:50 am 
Ken Hands

In Voss (Assistant) - Out Libber.

Don't sack Pagan until this time next year.

Then give Ratts & Voss 5 weks each to show us what they can do.

At the end of 2008 you would appoint 1 of them OR go elsewhere.

My opinion only but I think we would be mad to throw either of them into the role at the end of the season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:19 am 
Laurie Kerr

Sydney Blue wrote:
SOS will be the next coach of Carlton
if he does come next year i hope he doesnt bring that shit st kilda game plan with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:30 am 
Rod McGregor

This has probably been posted in another topic somewhere...

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:32 am 
Laurie Kerr

how would bluey mckenna go as coach, has he got enough expierience yet ??, he is learning a lot from malthouse & could bring a totally different game style to the blues, an intersting thought - mmmm