Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:54 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:36 am 
Rod Ashman

I think Geelongs performance adds value to our efforts last week. The cats are a side on the way up and widely considered to be top 4-5 material.
They played with their starting defence (Mooney missing but he isn't a permanent fixture down back) and we had to confront port without our 2 key backmen.
They were having a red hot go right from the start unlike us who played for three quarters and were having a snooze for the 1st quarter (and had to play catch up footy!)
The cats had their full midfield contingent to choose from (bar Wojcinski) and we were without Campo and Scotland - 1st choice midfielders

Having said that, if we put in one of those sad Subi performances that have become the norm in recent years against freo today then it wont mean much... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 8:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

To be honest, and I know I'll be unpopular for this, but............

I reckon having DeLuca in the forward line clogs things up.

I think that spot would be better served by someone like (ultimately) Fisher who can take a grab but also move around.

I realise DeLuca isn't a lumbering oaf, but he tends to sit in the corridor a lot (look, no doubt he's told to play there), and we get less room for Fev to work in.

I think if DeLuca is on the field, he has to be either rucking or providing a marking option OUTSIDE forward 50.

But then Waite often plays that role...... and with Prender in the team, Archie gets less time on the ball.

In all seriousness, I think we need to go back to the drawing board on DeLuca and where he's supposed to play.

A gig in defence on JLo or Sandilands (esp. Sandilands) might be good for his development.

Its not good enough to take a guy with less than 50 games and say "he's a poor defender, so we just won't play him there". It sends a better message to him to say "you have skills you need to work on, and you'll sink or swim for them."

To be honest, having a 200cm quick bloke who is capable of playing in all 3 thirds will be huge luxury. We have to be forward thinking, even if it means taking a risk now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 9:07 am 
Rod McGregor

AGRO wrote:
Just a question for comment which I think is relevant to this thread - does Port's loss to Geelong tonight devalue our drawn result against them last week, ie. are we getting ahead of ourselves?? or does it mean we on a par with Geelong given their is only a kick in it.??

What do others think?? :?

I don't think many of us were under the delusion that we had just beaten the Premiers at the height of their form. Imagine if we had to travel over there when they had a full list to choose from? But Geelong isn't far from a full list, and Port lost Brogan, James and Shattock from the side that played us. Despite this, Geelong, a legitimate contender this year, just scraped home. I don't think that loss devalued our draw at all.

The commonality with the game in Freo is that we again face an interstate trip that we would lose against an in-form Freo which had a full list from which to choose. They don't, and we again find an unexpected chance falling our way. Let's not blow it, because as with the game against Collingwood, we will drop games we are favoured to win down the track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:21 pm 
Craig Bradley

Synbad wrote:
I thought Port got the home town umpiring decisions all except that last one where the umpires thought they had better even up abit....
Everything 50/50 went Ports way in the first half.

I agree. Even the last one with Tredrea wasn't a free in my opinion. I reckon Tredrea play for frees a fair bit. When he's out of position or under pressure, he either falls forward (like many forwards do), or he arches his back and throws his arms back as though he's been held. Having said that, he's a wonderful champion who doesn't need to play for frees. I thought it was some nice justice to see him miss out at the end last night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 7:23 pm 
Craig Bradley

The Tyrant wrote:
I reckon having DeLuca in the forward line clogs things up.

I agree to some extent. Fev had his best game last week when there was more space, because De Luca played outside 50.

Perhaps it's about long-term development for the team, and trying to develop a number of attacking options. The main drawback with De Luca at the moment, is that his hands aren't very clean in marking contests. But no doubt he'll improve.