Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: GET HARMESY UP!!!!
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:43 pm 
Ken Hunter

Blight drawing away
2:33:15 PM Thu 21 April, 2005
afl.com.au
With week 2 of the Toyota AFL Memorable Moments program drawing to a close, it appears that barring and late influx of votes, Malcolm Blights towering torpedo to defeat Carlton after the siren at Princes Park in 1976 will be clear winner.

Based on fan SMS votes, Blight’s memorable moment will knock out two other highly popular moments in the competition’s history – Wayne Harmes tap to Sheldon in the 1979 Grand Final and Ray Gabelich’s famous run and goal in the 1964 Grand Final loss to Melbourne.

The Blues have featured heavily in the first two weeks of the program, with the 1970 victory over Collingwood winning in the first week. This will be some consolation for Carlton fans who will see one of their favourite moments – Sheldon’s goal after receiving the tap in from Harmes ensured victory over the Pies in ’79 – eliminated.

For people who register at the site – www.memorablemoments.afl.com.au – and vote at least once during the promotion, the AFL are giving away a number of Grand Final packages including the ultimate Grand Final week.

To have your say and vote for your Toyota AFL Memorable Moment – SMS your name and A (Blight), B (Harmes) or C (Gabelich) to 1999 7733.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 4:19 pm 
Robert Walls

already voted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I've voted..

Make sure you change the carltonfc to afl in the above link.

GO HARMESY
GO BLUES

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 8:25 am 
Rod Ashman

Yeah... come on. It is a no-brainer.

There have been plenty of torpedo goals over the years - and Blighty's was a fabulous goal... but come on!!!!

Blighty was an exceptional player...(one of my favourite non-carlton players) but this type of goal has been scored by Daicos and others many times.

A torpedo goals vs harmesy's five course heroics that has been only done once. There has been nothing like Harmesy's tap in ever.

Harmesy chased his OWN KICK!!! - how many times do you see that in any match?

and he taped it in to win a grand final....

Surely that is far more important than a home and away game?

Get out there and vote.

It will be a travesty if harmesy doesn't make it through.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:29 am 
Bruce Doull

So what...........

he kicked it from fifty metres out..........it
may have flown post high.........!

but it was only fifty metres out........pffft.........!

and lets not forget.......Blighty's as mad as a
cut snake.........!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 11:41 am 
Trevor Keogh

can't believe blight's kick is being rated as more memorable than harmesy's tap!! :shock:

tommi, i'd even say blight was 55 out ... tops, but who's counting (i was in line with him in the outer of the pratt stand side). sure, his kick ended up in my front yard in west brunswick ... but he WASN'T 80 meters out!

voss kicked one from even further out against collwouldscum at the gabba a few years ago, and his kick was a drop punt!! :shock:

what harmes did, as 79 tapper said, is not only unique but astonishing. it would have been normal for harmes to have just let it go out and jog to the boundary throw-in. it was time-on in the last qtr of a physical GF played in mud ... he would've been spent!!

but he did what no-one else would have done .... and got us over the line in a GF!! .... a GF FFS!!

i voted btw