Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:50 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next

To tank or not to tank???
YES - lets get picks 1 and 2 this year and be a force for the next 10 seasons 42%  42%  [ 77 ]
NO - we will be right with what we've got 58%  58%  [ 106 ]
Total votes : 183
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:35 am 
Bruce Doull

All i know is................

if we end up winning 5 games this year...................i will VOMIT............!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:41 am 
Bruce Doull

tommi wrote:
All i know is................

if we end up winning 5 games this year...................i will VOMIT............!

kindest regards tommi

:lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:46 am 
Bruce Doull

Oh i WILL.........

you just watch Mr Syn................i bloody well will...................!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:35 pm 
Horrie Clover

I know that some of you post in here and thats great.

I have a request that i hope you take on board. Please ensure that we do NOT win one more game this season. Our on-field team is a rabble and we desperately require picks 1 & 3 from this seasons draft. With the new PP rulings, this will be our last chance to get the PP. We are all bitter about losing 2 legitimate PP's in the last few years, lets not make it a hatrick.

I watched the Under 18's on Saturday and Kreuzer is clearly a GUN prospect. He is there for the taking. There is no point at all in winning one more MEANINGLESS game for this season. We have way too much to lose.

I know this email is more common sense than anything. I just hope that the club can realise this. Blood the youngsters so they get experience and lets secure our on field future with Kreuzer and hopefully Cotchin!!!

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE!!!

08/02/1981 - GATE 7...Our brothers will never be forgotten!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:37 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

This is not an email dude.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

*MEMO TO : MARK H & STEPHEN M*

Please look at the coaching situation and do something about that - WHilst I agree players should be punished for prolonged on & off-field indiscretions - Denis Pagan has been the one hiding from all the flack and responsibility.

He needs to go AND FAST!!!! Otherwise, unfortunately those extra 'fair weather' members signed up this year will drift off and never return.

I think the sentiments of many on here are that Pagan MUST GO.

I hope this happens by the day after Round 22, 2007 or sooner!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

so its Cruising for Krueser (oh the pain, the pain...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:11 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

If you're anything less than a top 4 team you should be tanking. The AFL would be a much better competition if it had a top 4 instead of a top 8.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:42 pm 
Laurie Kerr

We'll agree to disagree, but it's too simplistic to say football dept and draft picks guarantee success. In fact Sydney were just getting their act together in '02 off the field. There success is more about their playing group taking responsibility for their performance, hence the bloods were reborn. No amount of expenditure or tanking can give you that spirit.

There are other examples, Port Adelaide (who aren't as well resourced as the Crows) won a flag with a Wakelin at full back.

BTW, most posters still say no to tanking according to the poll. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

popeye wrote:
We'll agree to disagree, but it's too simplistic to say football dept and draft picks guarantee success. In fact Sydney were just getting their act together in '02 off the field. There success is more about their playing group taking responsibility for their performance, hence the bloods were reborn. No amount of expenditure or tanking can give you that spirit.

There are other examples, Port Adelaide (who aren't as well resourced as the Crows) won a flag with a Wakelin at full back.

BTW, most posters still say no to tanking according to the poll. :wink:

I have never advocated tanking - we dont need to.

So Sydney was just getting their act together in 2002 - Premiers in 2005.

Okay hands up those who think we can win the Premiership in 2010 with the current list we have, and you can add National Draft Pick 4, this year and National Draft Pick 6 in 2008, and National Draft Pick 9 in 2009.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 5:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

dannyboy wrote:
so its Cruising for Krueser (oh the pain, the pain...)

I advocate

BOTCHIN' FOR COTCHIN

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:16 pm 
Garry Crane

Can't stand the idea of throwing games for any reason.

It's just not Carlton damnit! :evil:

(Unless of course it's to deny Essendon* a spot in the finals and our position on the ladder is secure. That goes without saying.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 6:28 pm 
Wayne Johnston

TANK

then trade fev for whoever has the following pick from us so we may have.

Priority pick
pick1
pick2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:00 pm 
Trevor Keogh

For those of you with a suspicious minds dropping Fev when we play one of the bottom two sides may indicate that this year is not about winning but about giving experience and still putting up a reasonable showing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:41 am 
Geoff Southby

I might be wrong, but I strongly suspect that over the next 5 years, Hawthorn is going to put paid to those 'but no team has ever gone anywhere by loading up on high draft picks' arguments.

The trick, of course, is to do it properly. Which they've done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:56 am 
Harry Vallence

JohnM wrote:
I might be wrong, but I strongly suspect that over the next 5 years, Hawthorn is going to put paid to those 'but no team has ever gone anywhere by loading up on high draft picks' arguments.

The trick, of course, is to do it properly. Which they've done.

Shrewd/smart list management and good selection has gotten Hawthorn's list to where it is as much as bottoming out.

7 finishes between 6th and 11th and only 4 bottom 4 finishes in the past 11 years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:08 am 
Stephen Silvagni

The difference between us and Hawthorn is they still have players like Crawford, Croad, Smith, Jacobs etc running around. We have so little depth compared to them as we turfed out a heap of mid-aged players a few years ago, and now have a handful of experienced players, a bunch of kids, and very little in between.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:18 am 
Bruce Doull

verbs wrote:
The difference between us and Hawthorn is they still have players like Crawford, Croad, Smith, Jacobs etc running around. We have so little depth compared to them as we turfed out a heap of mid-aged players a few years ago, and now have a handful of experienced players, a bunch of kids, and very little in between.

We have Fev Kouta Lance Stevens Skinny Saddo McLaren Ackland ...

Its how you manage your list and how you manage your men that matters...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:27 am 
Geoff Southby

Yep, Hawthorn were shrewd.

But it's undeniable that they traded key players in the knowledge that those trades would consign them to the arse-end of the ladder for a couple of years.

That's tanking, in its purest form.

As I say, if you do it as part of an intelligent broad strategy, it can work for you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:44 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Synbad wrote:
verbs wrote:

We have Fev Kouta Lance Stevens Skinny Saddo McLaren Ackland ...

Its how you manage your list and how you manage your men that matters...

I'm talking in reference to relative output. Of the list you just mentioned, only Lappin is close to any of the Hawks' older player's output. They have much more depth than us, right through the middle of their squad.

They have a younger list than us, but are getting much more return from their senior players, and heaps more from their midrange players.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36  Next