Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:57 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 36  Next

To tank or not to tank???
YES - lets get picks 1 and 2 this year and be a force for the next 10 seasons 42%  42%  [ 77 ]
NO - we will be right with what we've got 58%  58%  [ 106 ]
Total votes : 183
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think its about winning wars and not battles.
Dont want to step out of darkness without ultimate glory...

Leave that for clubs like Collingwood and Richmond...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:16 pm 
Ken Hunter

Ahhh the ride of Paul Reverie - mind you poor Bessie....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:35 am 
John James

GAVROMAN wrote:
BlueDW wrote:
I agree with Gavroman, win 4 games this year, get picks 1 and 2. Then, tank next year as well, win 4 games, get picks 1 & 2. Then....well you get the picture. Surely mods we can ban this goose from posting on this site!!!!

Is the whole idea of a forum not to express opinions or what???

You dont have to agree with me but calling for my head is a disgrace.

I want to see Carlton succeed as much as anyone. Its for the good of our club that we get picks 1 and 2. Evidently, another 20 posters seem to agree with me.

Just offering my opinion!!!

I go to the footy to see us compete, and hopefully win.

What you are suggesting is that my club keeps losing, perhaps in the process making it harder to keep our kids, who I am sure would rather be winning than losing. Also makes it harder to attract a mature player or 2, to help out with the kids.

I dont know if you are aware but w actuall have plenty of talent developing in the Ants as well as what we have in the senior team. I want to see this group improve, and perhaps be a contender for a glag in 3-4 years. That would be much more satisfying that the road you are suggesting.

Go Blues!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:41 am 
Bruce Doull

Yup................

we're bound for Glag Glory...................!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:07 am 
John James

tommi wrote:
Yup................

we're bound for Glag Glory...................!

kindest regards tommi

Thanks for pointing out my lack of typing skills!!! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:37 am 
Ken Hunter

Don't waste your breath DW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:51 am 
Bruce Doull

Sorry Dee Wuh..............

not taking the piss at of your typing skills.........it was just
a good "typo" to have fun with........!

didn't mean to upset................!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:21 pm 
John James

Mate what gets me upset is seeing us lose, then these so-called supporters get on here and are encouraging a losers mentallity. Would be interested in seeing how many players read some of the tripe that gets posted on here. Have some real talent at the club now (finally), lets develop these kids and see where the road ends.

By the way, for general reading, just wondering what these so-called supporters were doing when the boys were up and about in the first half on Sat night, or the second half against Essendon*. Some of the best and most attractive football played by this club in 5+ years. Taking massive steps at the moment in my opinion. In 12 months I can see us taking some huge steps, and perhaps knocking on the door of the 8 next year!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

BlueDW wrote:
Mate what gets me upset is seeing us lose, then these so-called supporters get on here and are encouraging a losers mentallity. Would be interested in seeing how many players read some of the tripe that gets posted on here. Have some real talent at the club now (finally), lets develop these kids and see where the road ends.

By the way, for general reading, just wondering what these so-called supporters were doing when the boys were up and about in the first half on Sat night, or the second half against Essendon*. Some of the best and most attractive football played by this club in 5+ years. Taking massive steps at the moment in my opinion. In 12 months I can see us taking some huge steps, and perhaps knocking on the door of the 8 next year!!!!
\
Its not a losing mentality its the system..
The AFL wants a draft.. thats what happens....

You cant turn shit into strawberry jam... or get Braddles Sticks and Mots as well as Motley in one year...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:33 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

last year I may have voted to tank..reckon we probably were...but now its time to give all..exorcise the demons..a winning mentality doesnt mean we will always win but a losing one surely means you can only win against a side that is tanking better

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

oledarknavyblue wrote:
last year I may have voted to tank..reckon we probably were...but now its time to give all..exorcise the demons..a winning mentality doesnt mean we will always win but a losing one surely means you can only win against a side that is tanking better

No.. i think we have been fed a diet of class players that gave us premierships under another system,,,,and now we are expecting to be premiers in a new system with not enough class....

Wont happen till the absolute class is amassed.!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:47 pm 
John James

Synbad wrote:
BlueDW wrote:

\
Its not a losing mentality its the system..
The AFL wants a draft.. thats what happens....

You cant turn shit into strawberry jam... or get Braddles Sticks and Mots as well as Motley in one year...

Losing every week will develop a losers mentallity. This group needs to learn to win. Losing every week will stifle their development. Every win at the moment is a bonus, that can be measured by 4 pts alone!!!!!

And as far as the draft bringing results like '86, we bought players who were already All Australians, and you are comparing that to drafting 18 yo kids, get a grip mate, its not that easy, and its certainly not that definitive that you are going to get a great player just because he gets drafted high up!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:58 pm 
Harry Vallence

Synbad you are so narrow minded and one dimensional:
- If someone is slow, they can't play modern day football.
- If we lose every game this year we will get pick 1 & 2 and then win a premiership. A fat load of good it did St Kilda.

Getting early draft picks doesn't guarantee anything. You have just as much chance (or more chance) of building a premiership team by winning and giving players confidence then by tanking. Losing only makes it more likely we will lose good players to other teams, that some players will get disillusioned and their form will drop away, and all the other intangibles that go along with being losers. Just take a look at the most successful teams of the past 10 years and see who the players are and where they were picked in the draft.

We got the benefit of 3 drafts now we're we had early picks. If that's not enough to be successful then we're doing something wrong. We all want more early draft picks but being a losing team isn't the way to go about it. Let's have some confidence in all the young talent we have now and build on that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:06 pm 
Bruce Doull

nytdog wrote:
- If we lose every game this year we will get pick 1 & 2 and then win a premiership. A fat load of good it did St Kilda.

Getting early draft picks doesn't guarantee anything. You have just as much chance (or more chance) of building a premiership team by winning and giving players confidence then by tanking. Losing only makes it more likely we will lose good players to other teams, that some players will get disillusioned and their form will drop away, and all the other intangibles that go along with being losers. Just take a look at the most successful teams of the past 10 years and see who the players are and where they were picked in the draft.

We got the benefit of 3 drafts now we're we had early picks. If that's not enough to be successful then we're doing something wrong. We all want more early draft picks but being a losing team isn't the way to go about it. Let's have some confidence in all the young talent we have now and build on that.

And you live in the past.. VFL....

Ask yourself why the interstate clubs have dominated the AFL in this century???

Answer.. because they didnt arrive with the baggage of the VFL competition and understand the future.. not just the past and present alone...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:11 pm 
John James

Synbad wrote:
nytdog wrote:

And you live in the past.. VFL....

Ask yourself why the interstate clubs have dominated the AFL in this century???

Answer.. because they didnt arrive with the baggage of the VFL competition and understand the future.. not just the past and present alone...

Its certainly not because of tanking and getting early draft picks. Developing a winning culture, that is what has them all flying. Until a Vic team is big in body and hard in mind, we will continue to struggle. At themoment most Vic clubs dont think they can compete with the Eagles and Swans etc. Until that changes, footy will stay the same!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:17 pm 
Geoff Southby

I know that no team has yet to win the flag with a side built around early draft picks, but it's certainly fair to say that only injuries stopped St Kilda from at least playing in a Grand Final or two over the last few years. And just quietly, Hawthorn is starting to look pretty good too.

Tanking? In my book, you only consider it if the season is completely and utterly shot, with just a few junktime games left and a potential priority pick up for grabs.

Hawthorn did it the clever way. Traded good senior players for picks, which in turn guaranteed a losing season the following year, which meant more picks. Then traded some more senior players, which got them more picks. The tanking was done by the administration, not the 22 guys who ran out every week.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're the next Victorian team to win the flag.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:25 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I don't know.... clearly the clubs needed an injection of young talent - and probably could need more.

However - how many premierships are the Saints winning with all their great draft picks? How many top picks do the Weagles, Adelaide and Swans have.... not that many....

Seems to me that clubs who have a strong organisation, leadership and money can compile a top team without 3/4 no. 1 draft picks....

Even the Dogs with all their first rounders - whilst improving a lot - are a long way off a premiership and might not even make the finals this year.

I am sure that Pratt & Co. think strategical and will do the right thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:32 pm 
Ken Hunter

its not the whole argument

really tanking is about fast-tracking the chances of success not a certainty for that success.

once we have a core group of players around the 100 game mark who would alk into any side, then the issue becomes loist management over a sustained period - which is what the interstaers do extremely well.

I have no doubt picks 1 and 2 (etc) would speed up that process
but it is not the only path.

We must build that core group that we sold down the gurgler in the 90's.

How we do it is neither here nor there. Once assembled I want to see us maintain it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:34 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

JohnM wrote:
I know that no team has yet to win the flag with a side built around early draft picks, but it's certainly fair to say that only injuries stopped St Kilda from at least playing in a Grand Final or two over the last few years. And just quietly, Hawthorn is starting to look pretty good too.

Tanking? In my book, you only consider it if the season is completely and utterly shot, with just a few junktime games left and a potential priority pick up for grabs.

Hawthorn did it the clever way. Traded good senior players for picks, which in turn guaranteed a losing season the following year, which meant more picks. Then traded some more senior players, which got them more picks. The tanking was done by the administration, not the 22 guys who ran out every week.

Wouldn't be surprised if they're the next Victorian team to win the flag.

Agree....you would do it in junktime when the season is lost and a priority pick is on offer.....nothing wrong with manipulating things to get the best advantage especially when everyone else is doing the same...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 2:34 pm 
Wayne Johnston

As long as young players are on the park instead of some of the 'senior' hasbeens we should try to win as many as we can

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 36  Next