Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 7:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 36  Next

To tank or not to tank???
YES - lets get picks 1 and 2 this year and be a force for the next 10 seasons 42%  42%  [ 77 ]
NO - we will be right with what we've got 58%  58%  [ 106 ]
Total votes : 183
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:23 pm 
Serge Silvagni

correct it took them six years after their first round pick to win a flag.

the young guys need to start winning games..simple..

screw hawthorn, melbourne, st kilda, richmond and fremantle and all the rest of these loser clubs.

time to learn how to thump teams.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:37 pm 
Trevor Keogh

When Murphy is running around as your your no.1 midfielder, it kinda proves that we dont have the best midfieldd depth...

Murph will be a star but it just proves how large the gap is between our midfielders players (Kouta, Stevens (we didnt actually develop him), and Murphy).

We just dont have the core experienced midfield guns like Bisbane (black, Power), WC (Kerr, Judd)

These experienced players make players like Rosa and Rischitelli look so much better...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

And that is the Key those Gun kids or even the potential kids without some quality senior influence take longer to develope.

I think we have a talented list of Kids but lack the experience to guide them and fast track them

Every club has got a core group of senior players to help guide there new young guns hence why they can develope there kids better.

The Best Teams have the best core seniors.

The Blues have the weakest core group of senior players and this is one reason we are struggling tosee results from players who we believe are a lot better.

Blues Core - Whitnall / Stevo / Fev / Lappin / Kouta

Compare that with any other list of influencing over 25 Year Players

Take the Pies which i reckon is average list but
Leadership / senior players
Buckly / Burns / Clement / Rocca / Fraser / Holland / Lecuria / Waklin

Even Hawks which have removed a lot of senior players still have an important core
Crawford / Dixen / Croad / Hodge (exception) / Mitchell / Smith / Vandenberg / Croad
The Hawks have been super agressive in trading and obtaining high Pics but still have a much better core of senior players than the Blues

So yes get the kids but equally target some key players who will also be able to help develope and assist the talented kids

Pick any club and the senior core will be far stronger than what the Blues currently have

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:39 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Synbad wrote:
winfieldblue wrote:
west coast was a developing club in 2000 with a sheit list.

they didnt need a plethora of first round picks, did they...

Take Judd out of that side.. lets see how they go...

Add Sampi who was their real PP from 2001 and lets see how they go. :lol:

Or their father-son pick Cousins who pound for pound would still be the best footballer on our list.

WCE are only where they are due to great development, coachin and recruiting rather than prized early draft picks. Alot of the people who said we needed the PP last year couldn't help but say we stuffed up when we selected Hampson ahead of Jetta.

So much for 12 months of misery and hoping to lose to gain one extra player. :lol: :roll:

The answer is more money not more early picks - Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Polo and Pattison. :wink:

Mitch Morton hasn't broken into the Eagles side despite having big wraps on him pre-draft and being a "bonus" father son selection.

Pratt's wallet is more important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:55 pm 
Rod Ashman

Relying on the only equitable system amongst all of the other unjust and corrupt policies of the AFL sonds a bit like putting too many eggs in the one basket ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 1:15 am 
Harry Vallence

No point arguing with Synbad because all he has are unsubstantiated, irrelevant and illogical opinions that can not be supported by facts. It's always been that way.

Synbad wrote:
we dont have any other way of attracting talent to the club and FASTRACKING it to be succesful than early picks.

I'm just so glad that Synbad isn't running our club because all we would do is lose 18 games every year for 5 years and then win a premiership or two (if we're damn lucky) and then go back to losing for another 5 years and so on....

Let me just repeat what he said ... "NO OTHER WAY OF ATTRACTING AND FASTRACKING..." So basically trading is irrelevant. Development is irrelevant. Support services and coaching is irrelevant. All you need is 5 years of high draft pics and you win a premiership. Man its just so simple, why didn't I think of that!

Think I would rather follow a team that wins 12-20 games a year and is always in contention to win a flag than a low life, loser of a team that finishes near the bottom each year just to get some early picks. Which don't guarantee success anyway. Personally i would prefer to win a premiership the hard way... the ethical way. Developing what we have. Shrewed trading. Forward thinking recruiting (good use of pre season picks, rookie picks, NSW picks), Father son pics, etc etc. Also taking the draft picks we get based on where ever we finish by playing our best team week in week out and making the best choices by having the best scouting department in the league. If we get to round 19-20 and we have no chance of making finals, then it is in our best interest to give the kids experience by playing them. Discussing this at round 5 is dispicable. It's non Carlton.

I think Synbad has been hit by Mike Tyson a few too many times.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:37 am 
Harry Vallence

Interesting article from the Hun, promoting tanking:

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/footy/ ... 42,00.html

But They Just Can't Kill The Beast!" <2016

THE BLUEBAGGER BEAST IS BAACKK!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 4:49 am 
Harry Vallence

According to this definition we are already tanking because we are playing the youngest most inexperienced team in the competition. So to tank further would be to drop Lappin, Whitnall and maybe even Kouta (when he returns) Fev and Scotland. That would be extreme and despicable. What a shit message to send to the players about the sort of club we are. When you get to 27 and we can't make the finals, expect to be dropped no matter if you're one of our better players.

History shows that team's develop better and quicker with a mix of youth and experience/seasoned bodies. Look at the Baby Bombers of 1993. We are doing fine with the team we have right now. All we need to do is continue to provide opportunities to our younger and middle tier players that deserve a senior spot by showing form in the Ants.

Harts needs a chance asap. Bower has time but deserves a spot as soon as his defensive side comes along. Edwards soon too I hope. Some with Blackers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:12 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Mark Robinson in todays Hun has embraced tanking as the way to go for teams such as Richmond that are going nowhere.
Its now accepted practice and not considered dirty anymore...its about overloading with kids , expecting to lose, getting some development into those kids you overloaded with and then picking up your early pick as the prize for your suffering.

Other clubs are doing it, have done it and will continue to do it under the present system.....if presented with the same circumstances then we will have to embrace it or watch other clubs go past us....
Using the system as it stands is not a crime...

re: Kerr......at pick 18.....said he wouldnt leave WA....other clubs lost interest..

West Coast, Freo, Crows, Port etc all have advantages over us ditto for Swans and Brizzy and will be the same for the Kangas when they move North....get used to it and take every advantage you can of the system.
The AFL want the interstate teams successful and give them an armchair ride.......if it means we have to tank to even up the balance then go for it I say...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:32 am 
Serge Silvagni

Elwood Blues1 wrote:
re: Kerr......at pick 18.....said he wouldnt leave WA....other clubs lost interest..

Maybe we shouldn't of picked Gibbs because he would of preferred to stay in Adelaide. Your argument doesn't come into calculation pick the best available.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:43 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

We went with mature harder bodied type older players in 2003/2004 and look where it got us - 10 hard fought wins in 2004 and picks 9 and 25.

I really hope Russell and Hartlett turn into fine 200 game players for the Blues - but by crikey we would have been better off with a Deledio, Franklin.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 9:58 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

blueboy8 wrote:
Elwood Blues1 wrote:

Maybe we shouldn't of picked Gibbs because he would of preferred to stay in Adelaide. Your argument doesn't come into calculation pick the best available.

He wasnt considered the best available,.........he was never rated like Judd or Gibbs as a standout. He was a very nervous shy private school boy who didnt standout like Judd, Ball, Hodge etc.....was seen as promising but not like Reiwoldt, Kosi and Didak who were the standouts that draft.....
Livo and Wiggins were rated higher and were picked accordingly.......Daniel Harris was rated higher......
Mark Coughlan was another WA boy who wasnt considered in the best twenty and fell to Richmond at around pick 25....injuries aside he is avery fine player...
Why would you bother with a shy unwilling kid who wasnt seen as top shelf and came with problems...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Elwood Blues1 wrote:
blueboy8 wrote:
Elwood Blues1 wrote:

He wasnt considered the best available,.........he was never rated like Judd or Gibbs as a standout. He was a very nervous shy private school boy who didnt standout like Judd, Ball, Hodge etc.....was seen as promising but not like Reiwoldt, Kosi and Didak who were the standouts that draft.....
Livo and Wiggins were rated higher and were picked accordingly.......Daniel Harris was rated higher......
Mark Coughlan was another WA boy who wasnt considered in the best twenty and fell to Richmond at around pick 25....injuries aside he is avery fine player...
Why would you bother with a shy unwilling kid who wasnt seen as top shelf and came with problems...

My understanding is that Kerr and (or) his father told all interstate clubs in no uncertain terms to "flower off" that he would not go interstate if selected and it would be a wasted draft pick.

Draft tampering if I ever - but of course "no evidence".

Unless you have a filthy snivelling stoolie like Stephen O'Rielly go states evidence then the AFL do not have the balls to do anything.

Ben Cousins could inject himself in the middle of the MCG on Grand Final Day - and "The Spew" would just say "Cos" or "Iceberg."

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 11:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Oh yeah.

2 picks in the top 3 or 4 in this years National Draft - with opportunity probably never presenting itself for another 10/15 years.

Oh lets go for the 10 honourable wins this year and take Picks 9 and 25.

Its a no brainer.

We have such depth and talent in our list.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 12:02 am 
Harry Vallence

Agro The problem you have is that there are 2 teams below us who havnt won a game as yet and unfortunately you can wish or barrack for the Blues to loose in the next 16 rounds but i reckon we will win a few more games for the year.

Anyway no matter where we finish i will never wish the team to loose and i would pissed off if they purposly threw games 5 rounds into the season but i dont believe they do that so if the win 2 up until round 20 well so be it you hope they dont win anymore but i dont think thats going to happen

Also Dennis will be on notice to win games this year or will be given the chop

If we go by theory that Pratt has set target to finish 10th he will have his work cut out and if he dosnt achieve this well good by Denis
10th would be around 8-10 wins i would think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 9:20 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wolfe wrote:
Agro The problem you have is that there are 2 teams below us who havnt won a game as yet and unfortunately you can wish or barrack for the Blues to loose in the next 16 rounds but i reckon we will win a few more games for the year.

Doesnt matter where we finish - if we only win 4 games or less this year we will get PICK 1 in the National Draft.

Melbourne or Richmond could both win ZERO Games this year - and one of them can win the dreaded spoon, that you all fear so much, but if we win 4 games or less we still get PICK 1 in this years National Draft.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:15 am 
Bruce Doull

Hey Munga...................

ya know something............?

my luck is many............!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:19 am 
Rod Ashman

tommi wrote:
Hey Munga...................

ya know something............?

my luck is many............!

kindest regards tommi

The most amusing and incomprehensible post I have ever read tommi. :lol:

I can only assume that it contains some private joke *shrugs*

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 10:22 am 
Bruce Doull

Nah Sparky..................

nothing private about.......my luck is many................!

they're EVERY-where..............!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 2:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

Surprised this thread is still going :)

Why Tank? Carlton havent done any good in the last 13 years with 1st round draft picks. Only Murphy and Gibbs.

Losers attitude

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 701 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 36  Next