Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:03 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Brett Johnson
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:15 pm 
Bruce Comben

Ok, we've had the Carazzo, Wiggins, T-lo, and to some degree the Bowyer appreciation threads but what about Johno??

I felt he really provided great support for Kouta with his clearance ability,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

He was excellent on the weekend but his skills are still a bit questionable and he has to start kicking those goals he always seems to stuff up. I've always been a fan of his clearing ability but I don't know if that will save him when we start delisting players at the end of this season.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:39 pm 
Bruce Comben

I agree, it'd be great to see him nail those goal opportunities he tends to miss. Hope he continues to deliver like last week and improve, I'd be really disappointed if he was was chopped come seasons end. I feel he has a part to play in our side

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

No doubt Verbster, Johnno was great and you can never doubt his determination he is always one of the last of the training track and is always working on his kicking.

Definitely deserves a game this week, good player to have on the bench as he can be used in spurts to give Kouta a rest up forward.

IN all games except against the Power Kouta has had too do most of the grunt work and get the clearances I'm sure Dennis is aware of this and needs to look after Kouta and not run him into the ground, Johnno is a good back up to have on the bench.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:30 pm 
John Nicholls

Never lost the faith with Johnno.
Easily one of the most underrated players on our list.
His worth to our side is enormous.

Keep up the good work, Johnno.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:17 am 
Rod McGregor

Johnson is great at the stoppages, but I agree, he has missed at least 12 easy goals since he has been with us.

Last year he started in the middle most games, Pagan loves his hardness and clearance ability.

I think that he does have a role in the team, but may well be culled at seasons's end if guys like Houlihan, Carrazzo and Bentick show they can play well in the midfield. All three are good at the stoppages. If he improves and is consistent, though, he will have earned his place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:42 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Until we have something better than Johnson needs to stay. Kouta is nearing the end and right now we have very few players who can win the ball. Johnson just needs to steady up when he kicks at goal and kick through the ball. He'll be ok IMO.

Bentick I rate highly, but he seems be serving a forced apprenticeship at the Bullants before being allowed to play in the seniors. Remember that although we like to pair and Carazzo and Bentick as debutants last year, that Carazzo is actually 21 and has been in the system for 4 years, whereas Bentick was drafted on the rookie list in 2003 and was promoted last year and stayed there.

So really this is Bentick's 2nd year in the system, whereas this is Carazzo's 4th year or so (someone correct me if I'm wrong...). I think Bentick will play 150 games for us (bold prediction, but he has the tools - good disposal being one of them) - important development year for him. He will get his chance later in the year IMO.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:36 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Has been good value since crossing from Hawthorn and done little wrong.
However he is in that group of players who are borderline when we have a full list and borderline means he will always be under the pump for his spot on the list as the club looks to improve with better quality players.

Does great work in the clearances and i dont think his disposal is that shabby as many think..his problem is he just doesnt have the over all class to be a top player but will always be a handy backup...and its the handy backups that tend to get traded or delisted when you want to improve your list and add quality...Corey Mcgrath is in the same boat...hard at it competitor but doesnt cut it when matched up against a Burgoyne, Luke Ball, James Kelly etc....both Johnson and McGrath are terrific blue collar works but we probably need another class midfielder like Stevens to go the extra step upwards and I feel a player like Mcgrath, Johnson, Bowyer will have to be sacrificed along the way.

To play the role of grunt Midfielder you need players of the ilk of Brett Ratten,Josh Carr, Riccuito,Bartel, Jason Johnson etc and I dont think Brett Johnson or McGrath are at that level or going to be...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:45 pm 
Geoff Southby

Elroy wrote:
Johnson is great at the stoppages, but I agree, he has missed at least 12 easy goals since he has been with us.

Last year he started in the middle most games, Pagan loves his hardness and clearance ability.

I think that he does have a role in the team, but may well be culled at seasons's end if guys like Houlihan, Carrazzo and Bentick show they can play well in the midfield. All three are good at the stoppages. If he improves and is consistent, though, he will have earned his place.

Johnno 5.11 at the Blues!

Look, Johnno played a great game, no doubt, but when is that guy going to be given that much space again? Think about it - he was free on the wings, free in the forward line, because they just didn't respect him. When he's playing on-ball he gets to the ball first a hell of a lot, but does he really get it out that much? If there was a stat for 'caught with the ball, another ball up) Johnno would be up there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

Denis being interviewed on SEN a couple of days ago by KB.

"Denis you would be happy with the form of Carrazzo and the posessions Johnson got when he came on and Chambers is a ready made player"

"Yes , Chambers injects pace and were happy to get him... Troy Longmuir was good and were happy with what he will give us "

Or something along those lines...

Made for interesting listening if you read between the lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:02 pm 
Bert Deacon

hes a fringe player, and would not be in our best 22 in my opinion. weve got a few fringe players eg. wiggo(1), davies(2), bowyer, mcgrath, bannister, simpson, and johnno. all these guys are competing for about 2 spots in the team.

it would be great if 2 or 3 took a step up. it would help us out heaps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:05 pm 
Bob Chitty

I don't consider Johnson part of our long-term plans. His skills are not good enough - end of story.

It's no good getting it regularly if you turn it over more often than an AFL player should. He gets caught too often trying to get onto his left foot. And he misses too many easy goals.

Carazzo strikes me as a player who, despite missing the target occasionally, shows that his skills will be precise given more time to hone his craft in the seniors. Whereas Johnno has had plenty of time & his skills have not improved. Yes, he delivered the ball quite well on Sat night, but, f*ck that awful shot at goal was costly - would have put us up for the first time for the night & who knows what we would have done with the momentum that the lead in the 3rd quarter would've given us.

Don't get me wrong, I was quite pleased with his game on Sat night, but I don't consider him a long-term option. Brisbane's premiership unit did not carry a player whose skills weren't up to scratch, nor should we if we want to progress towards flag no 17. I reckon Bentick is the in&under player who will be the man in years to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:06 pm 
Bert Deacon

i think Johnno is like Jon Mccormick. hard at the ball, good clearances, but poor disposal and bad decisions at pressure moments.

i hope johnno improve and gets better this year or else i fear that hell be where Jon Mac is now. delisted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:12 pm 
Bob Chitty

Shippy_cfc wrote:
Quote:
weve got a few fringe players eg. wiggo(1), davies(2), bowyer, mcgrath, bannister, simpson, and johnno. all these guys are competing for about 2 spots in the team.

Good point - it would be nice to they they all stood up & made it as quality 150 game players at Carlton, but I think you're right! I'm hoping 3 or 4 will make, throw in simmo & bannister to your 1 & 2.