Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:58 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:18 pm 
Rod Ashman

I don't understand why the media keeps repeating the same spiel regarding player payments impacting on the future financial viability of our club.
I don't know how many times these media buffoons have said that some of the player's back ended contracts will place further strain on Carlton's financial performance in 2006.

Carlton has always paid 100% of the TPP so the player payments are at the maximum allowed amount, year in, year out (please no puns about the years we were over!!). So whether there are massive payouts due in 2006 to certain players will not increase the player salaries beyond the TPP allowed so the amount will be essentially the same, withstanding the negotiated increase as part of the EBA. Therefore, it is a non-issue about the contractual structures of the individual payments as this is merely a distribution issue and will not suddenly place an irregular strain on our finances. I mean it is common sense isn't it??? :?

Dumb, just plain dumb!!! :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:20 pm 
John Nicholls

marciblue wrote:
I don't understand why the media keeps repeating the same spiel regarding player payments impacting on the future financial viability of our club.
I don't know how many times these media buffoons have said that some of the player's back ended contracts will place further strain on Carlton's financial performance in 2006.

Carlton has always paid 100% of the TPP so the player payments are at the maximum allowed amount, year in, year out (please no puns about the years we were over!!). So whether there are massive payouts due in 2006 to certain players will not increase the player salaries beyond the TPP allowed so the amount will be essentially the same, withstanding the negotiated increase as part of the EBA. Therefore, it is a non-issue about the contractual structures of the individual payments as this is merely a distribution issue and will not suddenly place an irregular strain on our finances. I mean it is common sense isn't it??? :?

Dumb, just plain dumb!!! :roll:

Just another reason to have a dig at us, Marci.

Sit tight and wait until St.Kilda start to feel the pinch.
Then we can go a hunting!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:27 pm 
Garry Crane

One would have thought that with our current list that player payments would be at their lowest in years (Kouta, Campo, Big Red excluded)

Are we still paying for McKernan?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:31 pm 
John Nicholls

Laguna wrote:
One would have thought that with our current list that player payments would be at their lowest in years (Kouta, Campo, Big Red excluded)

Are we still paying for McKernan?

We're still paying for Red, Campo and Kouta.
Their contracts are up at the end of this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

We still paying for Beauie?

I thought kouta's ends next year

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:34 pm 
Footscray Supporter

More than 2 registered media reports for every one footballer in the AFL + all 1,500 odd reporters fishing for the most insignificant stories = stupidity and hyperbole in AFL media reporting. A joke.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:42 pm 
Trevor Keogh

nice to see you onboard Sedat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

It is just hilarious reading and listening to them trying to place further emphasis on this so called gloom and doom by adding that Carlton will need to make these massive end of contract payments next year that will place "further pressure on their precarious financial position"

I mean give me a break, it only means the pie is being cut a different way next year. It doesn't mean we've baked a bigger pie!!! Geez... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 3:58 pm 
Garry Crane

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The bottom line is that looking at normal operation costs and expenses we made a $200,000 profit - the $11 million write down will make our balance sheet look a bit sick and effect our ability to borrow money in the short term (but Collo has already said the bank is helping us).

What these idiots in the media dont see is the room we are going to have in our TPP for 2006 and that is fine with me - because if the media underestimate our ability to go out and do some damage in the "Uncontracted Player Stakes" in the 2005 post season this means that the other 15 clubs will be caught unawares, which is fine with me.

So let them focus on the doom and gloom now.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:46 pm 
Ken Hunter

your title need no why.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'm still struggling with the e in marciblue. :|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

AGRO wrote:
What these idiots in the media dont see is the room we are going to have in our TPP for 2006 and that is fine with me - because if the media underestimate our ability to go out and do some damage in the "Uncontracted Player Stakes" in the 2005 post season this means that the other 15 clubs will be caught unawares, which is fine with me.

I'm not really sure about that. After a good (hopefully) 2005 Whitnall's contract won't drop as much as we expected. Kouta and Campo are already on the Veteran's list so their contracts only cost us half as much as they would normally, and some of our young stars will be expecting upgraded contracts. Players like Teague, Thornton, Scotland and Fevola will be asking for alot more than their currently earning and they'll get it too. In the end we won't have as much cash to burn as most expect. We'll have to improve from within.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:44 pm 
formerly Fevola

I know, people at work annoyed me so much today making comments at how broke Carlton are.

Everyone is so stupid, I had to explain that it was only a book loss not an actual $11 million loss money wise.

I tell you what, I am looking forward to when we get out of all this crap, I am tired of the negative happenings. We should all be excited at the moment with the clubs on field improvements, and we still have to hear negative stuff.

Even the stupid doggie supporters are all coming out of the woodwork, making sly comments about Fevola getting off. I said, "oh yeh, justice was served".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Hypno Toad wrote:
AGRO wrote:

I'm not really sure about that. After a good (hopefully) 2005 Whitnall's contract won't drop as much as we expected. Kouta and Campo are already on the Veteran's list so their contracts only cost us half as much as they would normally, and some of our young stars will be expecting upgraded contracts. Players like Teague, Thornton, Scotland and Fevola will be asking for alot more than their currently earning and they'll get it too. In the end we won't have as much cash to burn as most expect. We'll have to improve from within.

McKernan's salary will also be removed from the equation - and Whitnall will not be on $500,000 no matter how well he plays this season and if he does have a stellar year then there will be 1st and 2nd round draft picks a plenty come trade time.

Dont worry there will be plenty of room to play with and WE ARE going to do some damage. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 12:42 am 
Craig Bradley

I think they must be confused.

In the olden days perhaps an 11 million dollar defecit could be linked to the salary cap (or pehaps 10 gallon hat as the case may be). :lol:

It is laughable however, because Luke Blackwell's contract is technically placing the same degree of pressure on the club's financial pressure as Kouta's ie none.

It was worth noting Jake Niall's article in the Age, though, telling Blue's supporters not to worry too much about teh club's financial situation. It was kinda nice of him I thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2005 10:37 pm 
Rod Ashman

camelboy wrote:
I'm still struggling with the e in marciblue. :|

well it is how i wanted it originally.

when I applied for TBV I missed the e on the end and ended up staying as marciblu. So now that I have registered here at TC I thought I might rectify that mistake.

It really is great seeing all you guys around here :P