Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 6:45 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Kouta and Lappin
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:15 pm 
Bert Deacon

Just interested to hear what people think Lappin and Koutas role will be this season.

Kouta in spurts off the bench ?

Lappin same role as last few seasons, floating forward flanker or half back role ??

I love Kouta and he can still extract the ball better than most but his ageing body will need to be rested, do you reckon rotated onto the bench or rest him forward?

Both players i think definately have a bit to offer especially leadership for the young boys

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:48 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

In such a young side as ours, they have huge roles to fill.

Kouta is the best extractor at the club (let alone the comp)....and very strong.

Lappin is very smart....and very fit too! Making him a versatile player.

I'd love the luxury of Lappin in the forwardline. In fact I do prefer him to Betts in general. Having said that, I believe that Betts has really kicked in over ther last 2 weeks and is a special player, whi will probably earn a spot in the first 22..

Lappin: Wing/ midfield/ defensive wing and floating forward (and rotated off the bench with all midfielders). He will kick goals if left forward (maybe 2 per game).

Kouta, must be rotated off the bench, as well as floating into the forward line (2 goals per game).

Fev can play out at CHF at times whilst Kouta floats down to FF, with Kennedy flaoting down into a pocket whilst Lance takes on CHF duties.

Go Blues.

I'd like to see the opposition coaches / players second guessing as to wher Carlton players are lining up and positions they play. I say mix it up, now that we can!

Remember back in the 2005 Wizard Cup? We became one dimensional and predictable, and we paid the price ever since.

Now we have a bit of depth / versatlity / pace / height.

Let's get creative, and look after Kouta as much as we can. he is very useful as an extractor...using for that in bursts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:54 pm 
Harry Vallence

KOUTA will be dancing around opponents this year anywhere on the ground

and Lapps will be either picking up Fevs crumbs or taking specys over defenders in the backline.

I think they will both have a good year and be fit enough to play full games, but will expect Kouta to play limited minutes though, not sure about Lapps, hes still fairly fit n agile.

GET THE DANCING KOUTA SIGNS OUT hehe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:17 pm 
Garry Crane

I hope both players rediscover their 2005 form as (for whatever reason) their form last season was indifferent (and that's being polite).
I reckon they both have a lot to offer (especially Lappin) and with the assistance they should receive from our up and coming players, mebbe these veterans will be able to make a better impact on games this year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:03 pm 
Trevor Keogh

Both players will be expecting big years...

I would have Lappin on a half forward...

Kouta as a midfielder and then back pocket...i dont think he will kick enough goals per game to be a forward player...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Play Kouta in the midfield.............please!

Bench him if you have to every now & then, but if this is to be his last season, please let me just enjoy it. Let me enjoy watching the greatest ever clearance player ever to put on a footy boot do his thing!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:23 pm 
Bruce Comben

ryan2000 wrote:
Let me enjoy watching the greatest ever clearance player ever to put on a footy boot do his thing!

Could not agree more. Half a quarter at a time - playing off the bench would be ideal. The speed of the game isn't great for him down forward or back. But at the clearances... speeeeciaaaaal!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:06 pm 
Geoff Southby

Kouta in guts for short periods to give young guns a rest.
Lappin to play down back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:08 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Kouta and Bentick rotating from the bench as extractors.

Lappin is a tough one. Alot of kids treading on his toes for his spot this year. With his Bullants stinit last year he may be one to slide as the kids come on later in the season?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:13 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Kouta in the centre, a la Greg Williams - ditto Ryan2000
Lappin - I like him up forward, has to be worth 30 goals or so. IMO

4. Gibbs,
5. Judd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

amers wrote:

Problem with Lappin up forward,that makes Betts on the interchange bench or used in the midfield,you think.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

mjonc

Quote:
Lappin is a tough one. Alot of kids treading on his toes for his spot this year. With his Bullants stinit last year he may be one to slide as the kids come on later in the season?

He also got dropped at the Saints after their GF in 1998 too.

Since then, he's played in the '99 GF, won AA selection, CFC Leadership group, and is in the top 10% in terms of fitness at the club. He is miles ahead of the kids as far as experience is concerned...alot of upside with skinny.

I've had my doubts...but that's because I look long term, and he is not the future...but reality check is he is a conduit for the kids to a successful future with Carlton. He has know how and can play both ends of the ground.

he has surprised everyone...and may be given an extra year at the end of this year.

Bullants stint had a lot to do with attitude towards the coach. In short he was sick of playing to lose; that's how he saw Pagan, and told him so....we all were sick of the game plan of 2006.

He maybe on his last year of a 2 year contract, and sure it may be his last....I think he's one that can last a season without a problem now that Pagan is on a sort a leash.

Lets hope. The kids love him and lookk up to him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:04 am 
Laurie Kerr

Rambo Stallone wrote:
amers wrote:

Problem with Lappin up forward,that makes Betts on the interchange bench or used in the midfield,you think.

There's room 4 Lappin and betts and Murphyand Houla(there the smalls that I would like to see there), all in the forward line on a rotation basis, either off the bench or through the midfield.

4. Gibbs,
5. Judd.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:22 am 
Serge Silvagni

Kouta in the guts in 5 minute bursts generally resting on the bench but with the occasional stint up forward to stuff up the opposition match ups.

I want Lappin back in his true position up in the forward line. There is enough emerging talent to take up the sweeeping role he performed down back. In a forward line centred around Fev, JFK, Fish and Whitnall I think Lappin can cause huge problems for the opposition. He could pick up 30-40 goals at a pinch.

Than I used to, my love

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:18 pm 
formerly p(12)terg

amers wrote:
Amen to that!

amers wrote:
There's room 4 Lappin and betts and Murphyand Houla(there the smalls that I would like to see there), all in the forward line on a rotation basis, either off the bench or through the midfield.
All looks good .. just as long as Fevs gets the supply .. there's a ton in it for him, I reckon!