Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:20 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

[quote="Synbad If we had a guy that could control the air at CHF wed be dangerous with all the other armoury we have. (Lappin,Fisher. Betts,Houla, DeLuca,Davies, T Lo etc.. and Whitnall if he survives)...

quote]

Here we go again.... what's Whitnall done to you Synbad.... did he eat your lunch one day. I doubt we would have drawn the game last night if Pagan did not put Lance on Tredrea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:16 pm 
Craig Bradley

And Silvagni wasn't creative out of FB? T Bird is out at CHB because we are hoping the Livo can hold down FB and I am not sure he can. As I have said we need another KPB and to be honest if it is a CHB or FB I d not really care because T Bird can fill the other KP.

Concur with your comment re CHF, finding a good CHF will free up Whitnal to do what he does best ....find space.

I am sure you would agree that we need two extra strong bodied talls in the team. Which would give us the one capability we are lacking, ability to take a contested mark. Unfortunatly these types of players are difficult to find and often take time to develop.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:19 pm 
Bruce Doull

You dont?
Well maybe if we had a CHF we may have still outscored Tredrea??Didnt see the stats of the CHF prior to half time being racked up... you know??? marks, kicks, GOALS!!!!....
Whitnall has done nothing to me ... i dont hate Whitnall.
I want a CHF... dont you???

If we can find a gun CHF and keep Whitnall and he desires playing for the club id be happy...

Look this is just a personal opinion .. I dont over see the playing list.. Denis does.. Id be happy with whatever Denis thinks is best for this footy club.

If that means Whitnall is the man that controls the skies at CHF for us.. well Denis knows best...

Is that ok with you???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

BlueMark wrote:
And Silvagni wasn't creative out of FB? T Bird is out at CHB because we are hoping the Livo can hold down FB and I am not sure he can. As I have said we need another KPB and to be honest if it is a CHB or FB I d not really care because T Bird can fill the other KP.

Concur with your comment re CHF, finding a good CHF will free up Whitnal to do what he does best ....find space.

I am sure you would agree that we need two extra strong bodied talls in the team. Which would give us the one capability we are lacking, ability to take a contested mark. Unfortunatly these types of players are difficult to find and often take time to develop.

Mark... the days of the Silvagni FB are gone.
Silvagni would never have played FB these days... theyre not allowed to touch the FF...

Lance would be good as the third tall.. but to get a gun tall.. CHF we will a) need to trade for him cos we have a board policy that we will not be trading our early picks for a player. b) make money room.

We will have to rely on Karl,Hartlett,DeLuca and Waite to build their upper bodies and relish an opportunity to be extra Key Position players.

I think weve all seen that Denis isnt afraid to play mix and match...for the club

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

Synbad wrote:
You dont?
Well maybe if we had a CHF we may have still outscored Tredrea??Didnt see the stats of the CHF prior to half time being racked up... you know??? marks, kicks, GOALS!!!!....

If we can find a gun CHF and keep Whitnall and he desires playing for the club id be happy...

Look this is just a personal opinion .. I dont over see the playing list.. Denis does.. Id be happy with whatever Denis thinks is best for this footy club.

If that means Whitnall is the man that controls the skies at CHF for us.. well Denis knows best...

Is that ok with you???

I just don't see the point or relevance of your comment....(Whitnall if he survives).

I'll leave it at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

bax wrote:
Synbad wrote:
You dont?

Is that ok with you???

I just don't see the point or relevance of your comment....(Whitnall if he survives).

I'll leave it at that.

Errrrrrrrrr ok.... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

Synbad wrote:
bax wrote:
Synbad wrote:
You dont?

Is that ok with you???

I'll leave it at that.

Errrrrrrrrr ok.... :roll:

Errrrrrrr ok???? Well let's be honest Synbad.... you bag Whitnall every chance that you get. Maybe some are a little sick of the same brocken record being played over and over again.

Do you care to elaborate as to what you meant by "if he survives"..... it's only round 4 after all. He won the game for us against the Bombers and saved it for us last night. Wizard cup form was also great. I dont have a problem with Lance's form to date.

Let it rest a while.... if you can. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:40 pm 
Craig Bradley

Now you get it. Whitnal as the third tall. Waite as a future CHF could be an option, Karl as a KP? Nope put him on the flank, showed exactly what he could do in this position on the weekend. De Luca should be groomed as the replacement ruckman for French.

Still missing a KPB. Believe that should be the priority in this years draft.

We should also be mindful that Kouta has a year at most left two at a stretch, so trading a player of Whits capability would only be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

Have i bagged Whitnall on the game?
Im just saying he isnt what we need.
Why would i let it rest?
The boards are for discussion which is what were doing at the moment. Discussing.
If i can provoke you into a discussion all good.
If you dont want to discuss thats ok... just dont read and reply???

i think boards are simple.. some think boards are not.

Im not abusing you or Whitnall...

I see a problem at CHF.. i see a player getting paid alot of $$$ and is surplus to what we need from my perspective.

Id hate us to think its all going perfect and there is no room for improvement. Were developing and evolving... so stuff is dynamic from game to game.. week to week.. month to month.. year to year.. thats what footy is.
The moment we think stuff is permanant the moment stuff goes belly up.

Why should we discuss Carrazzo.. French.. Wiggo... Livo and not Whitnall again???

Its like the immunity challenges in surviver. If someone performs he will be immune for the week..if they dont their name comes up.... but at the end of the day... someone will have to go.. and at the end of their careers they will all be gone.. Its just a matter of time for everyone.. including you and i.

sheeeeesh people are sensitive... :?

Lance is not Carlton and either is anyone else.
Lance might just do a runner at the end of the year.,
Thats the nature of the beast.. its not like he didnt sniff around last year... They will try and look after their own futures and the club will do their best to safeguard itself and move forward. There isnt that real loyalty in footy anymore. the preception is that it is.
Just ask Franchina and Mark Porter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:47 pm 
John Nicholls

A recycled KPP or a 17/18 year old KPP?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:51 pm 
Bruce Doull

BlueMark wrote:
Now you get it. Whitnal as the third tall. Waite as a future CHF could be an option, Karl as a KP? Nope put him on the flank, showed exactly what he could do in this position on the weekend. De Luca should be groomed as the replacement ruckman for French.

Still missing a KPB. Believe that should be the priority in this years draft.

We should also be mindful that Kouta has a year at most left two at a stretch, so trading a player of Whits capability would only be robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Ok.. Whitnall will be our third tall.
Happy???

Why would we trade Whitnall ?? I agree...

Were going to keep him as a third tall. And as a third tall what kind of salary can he expect in his next contract???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

phoenix johnson wrote:
Denis is 58 years old. ....pick 9 or 10 in the draft looking for a certain gun KPP is abit tricky i reckon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:57 pm 
John Nicholls

Synbad wrote:
phoenix johnson wrote:
Denis is 58 years old. ....pick 9 or 10 in the draft looking for a certain gun KPP is abit tricky i reckon...

Depends on the quality of the draft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:58 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I have 2 words for you all.

HART

LETT

missing piece of the jigsaw.

And Setanta.....

For mine, the only position we need to cover that we can't have a crack at cultivating from the list is a pure onballer. I know Bentick/Blackwell/Russell etc etc show a bit, but they're very niche players. Runner or stoppage experts.

I'm thinking about an all-round player. Another Nick Stevens, to draw our niche-mids into the game.

Thats why I've got my first pick set for. A McLean/Sylvia type with our pick 5-10.

Unless we can swoop on a Dunn or Salopek and work on them.

Why am I talking about this here? Who cares

I reckon there's potential on the list already. We just need to get hte contract balance right... and the list is there to work on. Keep adding a plum kid or 2 every year and we've got it made in the shade 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 10:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BlueMark wrote:
And Silvagni wasn't creative out of FB?

SOS played some of his best football at CHB - in particular 1991 when he finished 3rd in the Brownlow Medal.

Also one of the reasons that Carlton supporters dont rate Carey as highly as most is that SOS nearly always "toweled" him up when they played on each other at CHB -v- CHF. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:05 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

AGRO wrote:
BlueMark wrote:
And Silvagni wasn't creative out of FB?

SOS played some of his best football at CHB - in particular 1991 when he finished 3rd in the Brownlow Medal.

Also one of the reasons that Carlton supporters dont rate Carey as highly as most is that SOS nearly always "toweled" him up when they played on each other at CHB -v- CHF. :wink:

Spot on AGRO. He played at CHB a lot around 99 and to the end of his career, with Manton at FB. Col Kinnear said that Carlton rated him a better CHB than FB, amazing really.

Carey has been quoted saying he rate's Jakovich higher than SOS because he could hurt you as well as negate. I think SOS probably did sacrifice his game a little more when playing on the greats, but he was able to rack up some disposals out at CHB

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Yeah, you gotta make your own last-line defenders.

Get kids like Livo and chuck em in there and cross your fingers.

Plemming and Hartlett should get the same opps down the line. We know Karl and T-bird can push up the lines. We make our kids (with a bit of meat on them) do their time in the backline and then see how they go.

In all fairness, Livo's disposal/decisions will probably anchor him at FB for a while. Heart in the mouth stuff. Its good to have a creative fullback, but if he's good at his job (stopping forward), you wouldn't care if he kicked like Andrew Dunkley.

Silvagni was a once in a century defender. I'll be happy with honest battlers.

But you make your own KP defenders out of the draft plus some faith. There comes a stage where you just have to put your kid on a star and hope for the best. Remember Bret Thornton? Gee, aren't we glad we perservered with him.

I'd like to see Plemming get a match at some stage. He's our Scott Thornton. if he's 98kgs... then... chuck him in and see if the bastard floats!

There's only so much you can learn playing deep in defence in the 2s. The players are different, the ball comes in differently. Its a totally different game almost. You just have to give him a go. Back your recruiters, your coaching staff and your gut and hope the kid repays the faith.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:15 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Tyrant wrote:
Silvagni was a once in a century defender. I'll be happy with honest battlers.

Our problem or blessing is that over the past 35 years we have always had once in a century defenders to work with:

- Southby
- Doull
- Silvagni

coupled with a plethora of once in every 50 year defenders like:

- Hunter
- Dean
- Perovic
- Sexton
- McKay

Not many honest battlers there - we have to be a bit more patient with the development of Thornton, Livingston, Norman who have the potential to be the core of our defence for the next 10 years. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The thing to remember is... not all of them STAY battlers forever :wink:

Sometimes when you dig through coal you find a diamond

But you gotta get your hands dirty first :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 11:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

The Tyrant wrote:
The thing to remember is... not all of them STAY battlers forever :wink:

Quote:
Not many honest battlers there - we have to be a bit more patient with the development of Thornton, Livingston, Norman who have the potential to be the core of our defence for the next 10 years. :wink:
:wink:

Winston Churchill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 139 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next