Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:52 pm 
Horrie Clover

With the whole coaching merry-go-round at the moment, one thing that increasingly irks me is the constant questioning and subsequent answers of coaches looking at all jobs.

Ratten talking to Melbourne. Sheed's talking to Melbourne.

Aren't these blokes committed to there respective clubs, one with finals aspirations?

Ratts, discussing the Melbourne job, while preparing to battle with arguably our most hated foe?

I understand that these blokes are talking up there chances for next year and beyond and they also have to sell themselves.

How about just 'Loving the one your with?'

Everything else should be done behind closed doors....

We don't want our own situation undermined?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:11 pm 
Rod Ashman

Problem is they dont love the one they're with
Or the club they're with dont love them

I know this has nothing to do with our Blue Boys but apparently Daniher and Sheedy are doin a swap :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

Well if Ratts doesn't talk to anyone else, I think loyalty will be the last thing on his mind if he gets overlooked for the Blues job and then has nothing to fall back on.

#GUILTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

Donstuie wrote:
Well if Ratts doesn't talk to anyone else, I think loyalty will be the last thing on his mind if he gets overlooked for the Blues job and then has nothing to fall back on.

qft

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:14 pm 
Horrie Clover

Rediculous post IMO.......

Picture this.. you are at your job on a TEMPORARY CONTRACT... you would like to continue working there, but they cannot guarentee it... if you got offered an interview at another company willing to offer you a full-time job and security would you go for the interview??? OF COURSE YOU WOULD. Take the passion of footy out of it and its a very normal process.

As for being in the middle of a season.. do you think the dees will go to him today "So ratts.. what are your match-ups for the weekend??". Yes, he is doing an interview 2 days before a game, but you know what, no time is a good time.. Monday, nup review of tapes from W\e, Tuesday.. start working on tactics for next week... Wednesday, train the players as to their roles for the upcomming week etc. etc. there is no good time.. Coaching AFL is a 7 day a week job... no spare time.

Can't wait for us to announce a coach as I feel this "who will it be" chat will be going on for at least another 5 weeks......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

Electric Blue wrote:
Donstuie wrote:

qft

qft

some times i wonder what world people actually live in

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

That would be ideal in a perfect world but while these coaches maybe talking to several clubs the same clubes are talking to 12 - 30 candidates

So if you want Ratten to say yer i want to be the Blues coach then he would want the BLues to say we want Ratten at moment we like the ither 3 clubs are going and speaking to Voss (last week) / Mckenna next week / Sumich / Bond (maybe) ect ect

If Ratten dosnt have a garantee at the blues but wants to coach he will want to keep all his options open

same with all the coaches looking to fill the vacant seats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:17 pm 
John Nicholls

If you want loyalty - buy a dog!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

FFS ! how can Ratt's love of the club be questioned :x

coach loyalty and club committment go hand in hand !

why should he cut off his options until a deal is done....whould be a very naive person indeed to do otherwise ...not my idea of a smart operator

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

It's a job, and a cut-throat one at that. Same for players.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:27 pm 
Rod Ashman

I'd question Ratten's professionalism and desire to coach at AFl level if he DIDN'T put his hand up for the Melbourne job. Obviously he has a job to do with the blues at the minutes but the guy has to look towards his future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

Yep, silly to doubt the commitment of any of the coaches.

Even sillier is the notion that coaching is a 9-5 job. They'd be lucky to put in less than 80 hours a week during the season, and the offseason is shrinking by the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:12 pm 
Horrie Clover

It is not quite my point!

Let me put it this way...

How did you feel, seeing 'your' coach, on the eve of a game against our biggest rival, going for a job interview on national tv....

How would the players react?

Where would his head be? Focused on 'our' club or Melbourne??

I am not questioning his love of our club. More so the concept or the process.

Surely this can be done out of sight, with no one else knowing bar the people concerned.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:24 pm 
Bruce Doull

Echo

Echo

Echo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:38 pm 
Geoff Southby

linchpin wrote:

How did you feel, seeing 'your' coach, on the eve of a game against our biggest rival, going for a job interview on national tv....

How would the players react?

Where would his head be? Focused on 'our' club or Melbourne??

I am not questioning his love of our club. More so the concept or the process.

Surely this can be done out of sight, with no one else knowing bar the people concerned.

Well if you know the secret way of doing this why don't you sell the idea to half of Hollywood?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:52 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I actually think there is conflict of interest ATM with Rats and the Melbourne coaching job because;

What if Brett Ratten is told he won't get the full time job at Carlton next year and Melbourne make him an offer before Rd22 and he accepts but is told not to say anything until the after the rd 22 game as the announcement will be made then.
So Rats knowing he is going to be coach of Melbourne leading up into that game and is told to ensure Melbourne gets pick 2 and not pick 4 as Carlton needs to win that game to deny them the PP.
What does Rats do, go to his new club with pick 2 in the draft or help out an old club and ensure they get picks 1 & 3 and he ends up with pick 4?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:56 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

linchpin wrote:

I think in these circumstances there is really nothing wrong with the process.

Ratts is "caretaker" coach. So he is officially looking for a position.

If it was like ....say....Woosha... suddenly turning up at MFC headquarters for an interview with the board, I think that would be a no-no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:10 pm 
Bruce Doull

Exactly. Ratts isn't exactly in the same position as blokes like Thompson and Laidley who have the runs on the board so far this year and can safely say they won't be talking contracts until the end of the year. They know they're in the box seat and that they're more likely to get a better offer from their club at the end of a successful season if they leave them hanging. These clubs want to keep these guys.

Ratts on the other hand is in a situation where he knows the club are looking at other people too, and still testing the waters about whether he's the right man for the job. He knows he has no right to say the same about putting off negotiations as Thompson and Laidley do. So like any responsible adult in his situation he's keeping his options open.

#GUILTY

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:18 pm 
formerly p(12)terg

I wondered about that especially with this article in the HUN today .. I think, like many players, the coaching position is open to the highest paid ... loyalty doesn't exist any more: OK so KS would have stayed until he died but was shafted, and if BR was offered the right amount I'd like to think he'd stay at PP but that remains to be seen .. the year is almost done, and we'll know soon enough

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:14 am 
Harry Vallence

These guys owe the clubs no more commitment than the clubs give them.

There are only a handful jobs in the country and these guys need to do whats in their best interests to establish and maintain their careers.