Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:12 pm 
Bruce Doull

PJ, WC offered Fev $300k last year and he stayed for under $250k.
Re Lance and Campo will have to see what they get offered and when if at anytime.
What we have to do is keep our up and comers and add to the list what we need to go forward.
Denis is noones fool and he knows what players are worth in his language. He has no qualms showing them the door if he has to. Noones going to get too comfortable around Denis. Thats not what he is about.
Fev is Denis love child but if Denis believes Fev isnt what he needs to take us forward he will be ruthless.
I dont think Fev, at this stage, is a priority when it comes to shaking things up again at the end of the season.
Feb at the moment is a required player and priority signing. However Denis wont get blinded by fast talking managers and queenie players threatening to leave unless they get more $.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:14 pm 
John Nicholls

Blue Vain wrote:
Fev is a matchwinner.
He is approaching his prime and is one of our 5 key players.
He deserves to be paid as such.

How much is such?
Anything over 500K is not on, IMO.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:22 pm 
Bruce Doull

phoenix johnson wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Fev is a matchwinner.

How much is such?

Youd find if a meidfielder is worth $500k a gun forward match winner is. I think Fev will take just less than that... I reckon he will take $450ish and a % of the merchandising contract.
Stevens and Fev are our 2 best players by a mile at the moment.(Thornton quickly catching up)
Personally id love to see Fev take a step up next year along with the extra cash in the leadership stakes.If youre going to ask for the big bucks you have to be more than just a player.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:25 pm 
John Nicholls

Quote:
I reckon he will take $450ish and a % of the merchandising contract.

I'd be happy if that were to happen.
Anywhere between 400-450 is reasonable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:28 pm 
Bert Deacon

Offer him $5,000 a goal, end of story.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:42 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Quote:
Personally id love to see Fev take a step up next year

Why wait until next year[- time to step up now! He has to play consistent footy not this hot and cold stuff if he is to command 500'ish[/quote]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:52 pm 
formerly Fevola

Synbad, do you know if they have gotten anywhere in the negotiations yet ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

therubbernub wrote:
Quote:

Why wait until next year[- time to step up now! He has to play consistent footy not this hot and cold stuff if he is to command 500'ish
[/quote]

Well thats hard to do as he withdrew from being in the leadership group this year.
Week 3 and abit early to expect him to play "consistent footy" as you call it.
the ball isnt going into the footy with any authority and the forard line seems abit crowded.
It pisses me off that when Fev doesnt kick 5 people attack him. Hes averaging around 50 goals for the season as things stand. If you ask me i think he will exceed what he did over the last couple of seasons and in my opinion he is a strong chance to kick a ridiculous bag one day.He doesnt kick goals in any particular patented style. He can kick them from a lead and mark, he can snap.. he can kick long bombs,. out muscle the defender.
Unfortunately he is only 190 cms or smaller so its hard for him to take the huge marks on full backs that are always taller than him.
Fev in my opinion is primed to unleash himself and is a goal kicking machine.
One of our only few huge talents.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 9:56 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Keep Fev at 400K - sign him up now when he's in relatively cold form. He is one of our few genuine match-winners. 500K is pushing it though, given he doesn't have a great history with leadership and body language.

Thornton - I don't know what he signed for but on the market he'd be worth at least 300K now.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:00 pm 
formerly Fevola

I am very worried about this situation at the moment. I don't have the confidence I used to have in Carlton in relation to keeping players.

I personally think his mind is on the contract at the moment, and its stopping him from enjoying playing footy.

The sooner we sign him up the better. We will then see a different person out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:01 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Synbad wrote:
therubbernub wrote:
Quote:

Why wait until next year[- time to step up now! He has to play consistent footy not this hot and cold stuff if he is to command 500'ish

Well thats hard to do as he withdrew from being in the leadership group this year.
the ball isnt going into the footy with any authority and the forard line seems abit crowded.
It pisses me off that when Fev doesnt kick 5 people attack him. Hes averaging around 50 goals for the season as things stand. If you ask me i think he will exceed what he did over the last couple of seasons and in my opinion he is a strong chance to kick a ridiculous bag one day.He doesnt kick goals in any particular patented style. He can kick them from a lead and mark, he can snap.. he can kick long bombs,. out muscle the defender.
Unfortunately he is only 190 cms or smaller so its hard for him to take the huge marks on full backs that are always taller than him.

People attack Fev if he doesn't kick 5
People attack Carazzo if he doesn't hit every target
People attack Davies if he doesn't kick 8 goals a quarter like every other forward pocket(sorry still love that one)
People attack Prenda because Pagan's playing him as a relieving ruckman

btw, agree with everything you just said on Fev

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:32 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think the difference with Fevola is as a full forward he has to rely on players up the ground.
Most of the game is played between the arcs which means that the midfielders have a huge responsibility in controlling the game.
If they control the ball it means there is less time the ball is in our backline sp theyre allieviating defensive pressure to a degree. Going forward they create opportunities.
If the ball is flying over Fevolas head in an overcrowded forward line its going to be hard for anyone.
I really dont think Fev is switched off. I just think our game plan is probably too defensive because of the loss of Thornton and Livo and so when were going forward its all abit rushed and the structure is out of whack.
We do need to convert our opportunities and the more others get involved the more room Fev will have.
at the moment Fev is being swamped and that means others like Whits, Betts, Daviies and J as well as Deluca are finding some room.
They need to take their opportunities and capitalise which means more attention will be placed on them which means less on Fev.

Its a fine line but converting our chances is crucial for the overall structure

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:33 pm 
Laurie Kerr

BlueWorld wrote:
Most players can earn more money by switching clubs (Hamill :evil: )! Where would Fev be if Pagan hadn't shown some faith in him and given him another chance when Brittain had wanted to sack him? It's up to him to repay that faith.

I know what you mean, but football is a business these days and most people these days would say i'm taking the money i dont care about the club that much, they would sack me if i wasn't playing well or trade me when they want. Most People today have no respect or give thanks when people help them out, they are selfish.I think Fevola will stay but he will go, if it's a deal ,him and his family would think that will set them up for life, i presume he would take it.Fevola could think what if i play really poor, get injured in a 4 year deal and then gets cut or traded with Carlton when he could have triple his amount somewhere. else.
Why worry about signing him up now his still contracted let him concentrate on his footy wait for the seson to end before we panic.

money talks, the root of all evil

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

I think Fev will take over the merchansing deal at Carlton.
He is the face of the club and is by far the most marketable player we have.
Fev wont go for the optimum $$$$ offered by other clubs as he can make a fortune at Carlton partly outside of the salary cap with ads/ footy show and club merchandisng.
Fev knows he can go from boom to bust if he leaves Carlton.
I have no doubt he will sign a contract for less than he could get elsewhere.
In my opinion if you chase the $$$$ to the enth degree youre always going to be under the pump.
The smart thing to do is stay at a club going places and put out the perception that you have made a sacrifice for the good of the club and still make a very good living.

Fev is marketable... so the contract is not the be all for him.

What he does need to do though is take the extra step with the extra money.
Nothing worse than an overpaid player who cant step up.
Fev has no ceiling to what he capable of. So i wouldnt worry about him plateauing off. As long as he wants to improve
Im convinced he does.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:44 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Al Bundy the legend wrote:
money talks, the root of all evil

Money talks, bullsht walks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:46 pm 
Laurie Kerr

TruBlueBrad wrote:
Synbad wrote:
therubbernub wrote:
Quote:

People attack Fev if he doesn't kick 5
People attack Carazzo if he doesn't hit every target
People attack Davies if he doesn't kick 8 goals a quarter like every other forward pocket(sorry still love that one)
People attack Prenda because Pagan's playing him as a relieving ruckman

btw, agree with everything you just said on Fev

I dont think any of these guys are doing to bad

Carazzo gets plenty of the ball for a guy who played not much games and is young, ok sometimes he looks like he will make a big blue and cost us goals but his learning

Davies attack the ball well, ok he seem to tackle a little high at times or get in the back of the opponent and kicks badly for goals at time but usually pops a couple of goals for the team.

Fevola kicks plenty when the ball delivered to him, not much when it delivered to him poorly or the forward line flooded.

Prendagast is very handy all over the ground i say who should play 4 quarters or it doesn't suit him i reckon to get into the game if he is on the bench for half the game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:58 pm 
Laurie Kerr

Stefchook wrote:
BLUZ05 wrote:
3AW rumour file this morning - Pies offered Fev double what he is currently getting at the Blues.

I wouldn't have thought it would be all that hard to offer Fev double what he's currently getting, since he's currently getting not all that much! I would be very surprised if Carlton didn't offer him twice as much as he's currently getting. (That would still leave him on significantly less than what current players Kouta, Campo and Whits are getting!?!)

Got to remember we have a Salary cap and we are one of the highest capped so far ,so we will lose guys that may be important unless Camporeale and Kouta retire.His pay i think will be at least $300 000 a year but if he is getting $500 000 we could be in trouble again if we can't stay under the salary cap.Deluca,Walker,Fisher,French and co will want a raise also as they probably not earning as much as other league players at their level.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I am not comparing Fevola to Warick Capper but it killed his career moving to Brisbane for the "bucks".

There will be plenty of room in the cap moving forward from 2006 onwards.

Fevola wont be going anywhere - why would you with the delivery he will get from Stevens.

If Fevola's management is smart they will tell him the story of Warick Capper and how many times he kicked 100 goals in a season after he didn't have Diesel and Healy delivering the ball to him laces out.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:08 pm 
Laurie Kerr

ballistic blues wrote:
I can tell you know Fev is chasing the bucks. He and his management approached Carlton with a offer an offer that no club would pay and the club let him know about this. I would rather let him go than pay him 500k because he aint worth it just imagine the donkey earning 500k a year he is cracking under pressure know imagine the presure when he signs for big bucks.

If he gets $500 000 we will lose players for sure if Stevens,Kouta are close to that also or lose draft picks for the next 5 years and get a nice $10 million fine for going over the cap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 11:18 pm 
Laurie Kerr

phoenix johnson wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Fev is a matchwinner.

How much is such?

It's hard to put a price because we dont know how much each player in the club is getting and how much they can offer him, you think Whitnall and Camporeale may lose $100 000 each but Waite and a few of our young guns who are getting less then Fevola would take a bit of Campo and Whitnall cut,The club might not have $500 000 to give to him and stay under the cap, they would give it to him if no cap applied.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next