Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:43 am 
Harry Vallence

Let's face it.

We're in the shit for the next 2 weeks.

Injuries, suspensions and tough games on the road against the reigning premiers and Fremantle don't inspire too much confidence.

That being the case, do we try to minimise the damage over the next fortnight and go the flood?

We're likely to be 1 and 4 after 5 rounds, so let's not be smashed out of the park as well.

Thoughts?

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:45 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

I reckon we should roll the dice... throw caution to the wind and try to steal a victory.

Footy is a funny game....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:54 am 
Rod Ashman

Location: Feeding the ducks at the Percy Treyvaud Memorial Park
a loss is still a loss. I'd rather we go down swinging and show the fans some positives than try and keep the margin "respectable". As long as there is no repeat of the attitude in the last game against the Roos a couple of years back.

Play some younguns, promote a rookie and keep singing "Always look on the bright side of life"

Quote:
Come on now, you start with nothin', you leave with nothin'. What have you lost nothin! Worse things happen at sea you know"..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:03 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

George, the time we've looked bad is when we've had numbers behind the ball and good forwards are still taking marks. We might as well roll the dice and play attacking football. It's the only way that Pagan knows.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:20 am 
Adrian Gallagher

I'm all for rolling the dice....but "the only way Pagan knows"!!!! You've got to be kidding right! The only way Pagan knows is Pagan's Paddock which is really an affectionate term for flooding. He was outcoached on Saturday...no doubt about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:40 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Yeh, the only way is to attack. I reckon the boys have felt the pressure of being favourites the past three weeks. It's easy to go within yourself and not attack. No chance of us being favourites this week. The last couple of times we played Port (if memory serves) we were in the game at three quarter time. Pagan's style of game doesn't suit Port...

Last year when we got thumped we bounced back mainly because even during those bad games we played attacking footy (it was probably the reason we lost so much) which stood us in good stead in the next games...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:40 am 
Geoff Southby

I think there's a lot of doubt as to outcoaching, and not just because i hate keith urban.

We had so many up & under kicks inthe second half its not funny. No kickign to leads, and just stilted ball movement. Pretty sure thats not part of the plan, just bad execution.

On the weekend, Carlton had 6 defenders, or perhaps even 5, to COllingwood's 4 forwards. is that flooding? No, its COllingwood playing a small forward line and adding 2 extra HBF's as spare men to their 6 man defence. We did not flood, they did, and their 8 man defence ran the ball a whole lot better in the second half than we did. Pagan is right not to take our extra defenders and throw them forward, clogging our lines even more and opening theirs up.

Lets not get carried away. WE should have been 5 goals up at half time due to poor kicking for goal We were blown away with 15.1 which is surprising in itself, and the players lost heart in the last quarter and our skills suffered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:09 am 
Bruce Doull

I've always said: The best form of defence is attack.

Let's show some pride in the Navy Blue and try to take a victory rather than see how little we can lose by.

Remember the first half of the match against Brisbane a couple of years ago? Who would have thought that we'd be 6 goals up at half time, with young Jarrad Waite totally dominating over Akermanis? Let's try and repeat that kind of performance, except this time, for all 4 quarters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:54 am 
Craig Bradley

BANZAI!!!!!!!

L.M 35-06

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Keith Urban wrote:
I'm all for rolling the dice....but "the only way Pagan knows"!!!! You've got to be kidding right! The only way Pagan knows is Pagan's Paddock which is really an affectionate term for flooding. He was outcoached on Saturday...no doubt about it.

How so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:28 pm 
Horrie Clover

Face it. If we're going into matches without a game plan & the intention not to be beaten by too much, then the club is wasting a lot of money on Pagan. Brittain gave us the same plan at 25% of the cost.

Play to win. Go out there & give it to them. Pagan doesn't usually get out coached. Our loses are generally from poor execution, out played by better sides etc

The old saying "you never know" occurs frequently in sport.

Can't stand Williams or Port Adelaide. I'm ready to go. Where's my boots?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:24 pm 
Craig Bradley

Flooding is a waste of time against port with guys like Treadrea and Dew who can kick goals from 60-70m out.

The key for us against Freo and Port is to go heavy on the legspeed - and just attack the ball like buggery.

Our key factor in the Wizzer was pressure, applying heaps of it to the opposition ball carriers.

If our blokes turn up to actually play footy we may steal one of these games, we may not, but at least there will be something to work with going into the next games.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:40 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Simmo
Russell
Bentick

maybe Plemming?

deep-end stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:44 pm 
Bruce Comben

Maybe we can get G.Hocking to coach us for 2 weeks, construct his version of the Tsunami A la CFC!! :((

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:21 pm 
Bruce Comben

If we can attack the ball and gain the edge in the midfield, maybe we will have a chance,( providing Fev kicks 7 ), but if there forwards get plenty of supply , we're in trouble. The key, like any game, is forward line efficiency. If we kick 17-5 instead of 10-12, we could stay close.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:27 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

simmo wrote:
If we can attack the ball and gain the edge in the midfield, maybe we will have a chance,( providing Fev kicks 7 ), but if there forwards get plenty of supply , we're in trouble. The key, like any game, is forward line efficiency. If we kick 17-5 instead of 10-12, we could stay close.

....clearances and midfileld pressure plus flood to support defence

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:35 pm 
Bruce Comben

And an M16!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:07 am 
Laurie Kerr

All wrong George this is a winnable game like the 3 before we play a piss weak Port Adelaide at their weakest, they missing players,they will come out to play after last week but we have only played one quarter this year so we haven't got much excuses except some injuries and suspended players.I dont expect us to win against Freo next week but i do this week.I'll be dam dissapointed if we lose, be really pissed off if we lose by a big margin,if that's the case we are going to be in the bottom 4 at least for the first half of the year.I see signs the team could be easily a top 8 side but then i see them like they as good as the Hawks struggling.The 1 win out of 3, that could have been 0 and should have been 3, i let that slide and blame the hot weather our guys couldn't take to well , if it's not to hot we should not have no excuse of winning or giving it a real go.

We will win or Al Bundy will put his smelly feet on each Carlton player face or send his smelly socks