Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:13 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Sweet revenge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

Boys decided to take the initiative early against the scumsuckers in the poo and wee colours 8) - Madden decked tuck - Johnno put down cement head Deminico and we were not going to lose from that time on - SWEET REVENGE AS FOR ABOUT 4 YEARS WE CONTINUALLY GOT BEAT UP PHYSICALLY BY THEM and capitulated badly the year before- praying for a hot day -red hot as we had finished top and played one less final and wanted Naley Gleeson bradley et al to run them off their legs-unlike 1986 did not make the mistake of not playing SOS -STARRED IN 1986 RESERVES FINAL and would have been handy in 1986 final -fairly confident going into games as I recall Dunstall got injured in PF and didnt play
booed the hawthorn supporting Pat Cash before the game - so high up that I got nosebleed
The least talented Carlton Premiership team of the modern era but good blue collar workers robertson kennedy aitken dorotich inspired by motley and des english -a fantastic day -
Enduring memory was physicality of Blues in first 10 minutes -Kernahan calming down a young Adrian Gleeson after a goal but knowing we were inexorably heading towards a big win
Went back to PP at night -absolutely sublime
THOSE WERE THE DAYS

Post subject: Re: Sweet revenge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:09 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

frank dardew wrote:
The least talented Carlton Premiership team of the modern era

I am sure there is a quote somewhere (or could be an apochryphal story) of Wes Lofts shaking Robert Walls by the hand immediately after the games - making the same comment.

But you are dead right Frank - Hawthorn were really giving me the shits after a few of the bashings they gave us over those few season. It was lovely to stick it right up them.

And goals kicked in rubbish time at the end of games when they didn't really matter became forever known as "Warren McKenzies". :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 10:25 pm 
Bruce Doull

Stuck in a car on a hot spring day driving from Mt Gambier to Sydney. I missed the game flower! Had it taped on ABC though and managed to watch it on arrival in the big smoke.

I did, and still do, really dislike Brereton, so was chuffed that our own villain outplayed him and brought him down a peg or two.

Post subject: Re: Sweet revenge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:02 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

frank dardew wrote:
booed the hawthorn supporting Pat Cash before the game - so high up that I got nosebleed

Pat Cash wasn't a bad player, and some say could have made it at VFL level.....his Dad, Pat Cash Snr. played 58 games for Hawthorn in the 50's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 11:16 pm 
Rod Ashman

pat cash jnr is still a gooch tho.

"In fairness it did seem in the early days of the draft teams would just pick a name totally at random out of a hat. I'm pretty sure we picked James Cook at #2 one year. The mediocre forward, not the explorer" - Me, 12/9/2011

Carlton 2012: Lets remind them why they once feared the Dark.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:58 am 
Vale 1953-2020

Walls was a revolutionary. His pre-match moves (Hunter & Dorotich -> Forward Line, Hyphen onto Brereton) were inspired, and the set plays both from the kickoffs and (particularly) around the half forward flanks were brilliant - I remember Molly Meldrum's and Bradley's "swooper" goals, and had never seen play like that. Finally, the set plays out of the Centre Square down the corridor in the last quarter really set the win up (Kernahan and Naley).

A pity that Doully had retired the year before...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:48 am 
Ken Hands

Only time i've ever worn shorts to the footy...
Remember Naley's goal very well- that's when I knew we had it won.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:59 am 
Geoff Southby

Ok, thanks for some of those comments, which have made their way through to the Blueseum:

http://www.blueseum.org/cfc/tiki-index. ... +1%2C+1987

Next is Round 2, a 7 point win against the Pies which was also the debut of Aitken and Dennis:

http://www.blueseum.org/cfc/tiki-index. ... +2%2C+1987

Any memories?

Stephen Williamson will be inputting all of the goalkickers for 1987 over the next week or so so hopefully that can help spur on some memories too,

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:21 am 
Stephen Silvagni

Ian Aitken had a great season and won "Rookie of the Year"; the 1987 version of The Rising Star Award.

Richard Dennis was a star in our Flag side that year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:15 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Warby wrote:
Ian Aitken had a great season and won "Rookie of the Year"; the 1987 version of The Rising Star Award.

Richard Dennis was a star in our Flag side that year.

If Dennis had of kicked straight (he kicked 3 behinds that day) would have been close to BOG, he marked everything that day, and was a constant threat around the forward line - very hard player to match up on - was never the same after an knee injury.

And we know Ian Aitken was never the same after that coward Alistair Clarkson broke his jaw in "The Battle of Britain" game at The Oval after the Grand Final. :evil:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:31 am 
Ken Hunter

I was pissed by half-time that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:28 am 
Horrie Clover

I was sitting next to the same Hawthorn supporting bastard that gave me sh1t in the 86 GF. Revenge came quickly & coldly.......... :-D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:34 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Just on that Round 2 Clash at Waverley against the Pies Molsey - I always went to the bolckbusters and there was always a big crowd....definitely more than 29,481.

I'm pretty sure that's the day that in the seconds - ruckmen Jamie Dunlop and Geoff Pritchard ignored the bounce of the ball in the middle by the umpire and went toe-to-toe beating the crap out of each other.

Also at the end of the game as I was enjoying my kick to kick pretending I was Craig Bradley - I was bundled over by a grey police horse - attempting to clear the brawl of 6 bogan Collingwood supporters...there were a few torn duffel coats flying around that day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
Just on that Round 2 Clash at Waverley against the Pies Molsey - I always went to the bolckbusters and there was always a big crowd....definitely more than 29,481.

Pretty sure the crowd figure there is correct - I recall a very poor crowd at a Carlton -v- Collingwood match at VFL Park - Pies were travelling very poorly at that stage and even there supporters had dropped off.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

This is what I've come up with for the GF, including the heat, Olivia, and the speedo girls:

http://www.blueseum.org/cfc/tiki-index. ... %2C%201987

Feel free to add any particular memories - especially the goals scored, or the celebrations. Whatever we can add to portray the emotion of the day will probably be enjoyed...

Back to the year itself - Round 2, all I've got is Collingwood fans may have fallen off the bandwagon?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2006 12:37 pm 
Harry Vallence

My Hawthorn supporting Grandfather gave me 10 bucks to piss off at half time and go to the pub.

Didnt take the money because the gloat factor was too great...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:23 pm 
Geoff Southby

For all those with memories of the 1987 Grand FInal, who have filled this thread, we've set up an Image Gallery from the day to assist. The first photo, the first of many was recently gleaned from a package of press clippings from 1982 to 1987 kindly donated by a TC'er:

http://www.blueseum.org/cfc/tiki-browse ... leryId=145

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 5:41 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

The pic I uploaded of Glascott was from the '87 Premiership medal presentation. Feel free to add it to the gallery.

I have one other pic, but it needs a bit of work. Before Christmas, I promise!

Post subject: Speedo Girls
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:09 pm 
Garry Crane

If anyone wants a pic of the Speedo girls in all their glory ."...hmmmm...Speedo Girls...hhhhuuurrgghhhhh...." let me know, and also let me know how to upload it. I will delve into the 1987 Premiership copy of "Footyweek" to scan it.
Chyna

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 8:01 am 
Geoff Southby

Thanks verbs - have added that in to the 1987 Grand Final Gallery.

Chyna - that would be great. Nice to have pictures of all facets of the day. To upload a picture you need to have had it scanned in / in computer format...

then register in the Blueseum, go to Image Galleries, and click Upload Image. make sure you nominate the gallery as the 1987 Grand Final gallery.

If that's too hard, please PM me and I will add it in for you.

Warby...are you able to add some of your memory pics in?