Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Flexibility in gameplan
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:05 pm 
Bruce Comben

I wonder what scope we have for this...i think Pagan likes the idea that his plan is so simple and easy to pass on to others,nothing much can go wrong. But perhaps more flexibility needs to be incorporated, Plan B or C ( not to say they don't already exist ) when things are not going well, to avoid being so predictable at times..

I guess it may come down to overall intelligence of the playing group and knowing when to execute a change. I'm sure the more complex a coach gets with his ideas, it can actually ruin the teams cohesiveness as they are not exaclty sure what they are doing and when to implement.

Any thoughts? Caus we are gonna need to pull a rabbit out of the hat soon to get the season back on track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:17 pm 
Bruce Doull

I'm not sure whether Denis has too much faith in his gameplan at times or the players as you say just cant react quick enough.

For too long the Roos were able to have unmarked players in our forward 50 and across their half back line which allowed them to run the ball down the wing with ease- man that was frustrating

For too long we let Dustin Fletcher and James hird double team Whitnall , Fletcher killed us until we put Deluca back up forward to make Fletcher accountable , then as you know the 4th quarter result

For too long we allowed Clement to roam free across half back and mop up our forward arrays and we allowed collingwood to flood the midfield

Teams are doing to us what we did in the Wiz cup. I fear coming up against a really good team that can run us off our feet .

We seem to be too gameplan focussed if that makes sense and we are too slow to react and make changes - very predictable we are.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 8:45 pm 
Bruce Comben

Agreed...except for the comment "i don't think Dennis has faith in his GP", i'd say he has total faith. but yeah, you need the players to stick to instruction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:29 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

PAGAN WILL LEAD CARLTON TO THEIR NEXT PREMIERSHIP - HE IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO US SINCE LANCE SLOTTED THAT 50 METRE GOAL FROM THE MEMBERS FLANK IN THE 1999 PRELIMINARY FINAL.

He is single minded, he is strong of character, this is his last senior coaching role before he retires and he will retire with a Carlton Premiership Medallion around his neck.

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

AGRO wrote:
PAGAN WILL LEAD CARLTON TO THEIR NEXT PREMIERSHIP - HE IS THE BEST THING THAT HAS HAPPENED TO US SINCE LANCE SLOTTED THAT 50 METRE GOAL FROM THE MEMBERS FLANK IN THE 1999 PRELIMINARY FINAL.

He is single minded, he is strong of character, this is his last senior coaching role before he retires and he will retire with a Carlton Premiership Medallion around his neck.

YES!! TESTIFY!! LOVE IT!! :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:41 pm 
Bruce Comben

AGRO wrote:

Agreed...if anyone can do it is he!
Imagine being St kilda with all that talent and having a coach that is a good communicator at best!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

The current game plan is a proven one in September. Our players are not concentrating enough and do not follow it every minute throughout the game as they should be. As Pagan regularly says, the game is played 90% above the shoulders, and if you don't concentrate you'll pay for it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:23 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

The time we looked ordinary was when we tried to chip it around. This allowed the Pies time to congregate numbers around the ball when they knew we would go to the game plan and kick it long to a contest.

We had too many passengers who just stood there and didn't run forward to provide options in order to break up the Collingwood packs. Little wonder they cleared the ball with ease from their HB line.

We have to follow the game plan at ALL times otherwise it'll be a repeat of 2003 when we just bombed blindly to a contest and opposition numbers around the ball were more than ours, therefore we couldn't get any decent supply and meaningful possession into our forward half.

It's a miracle we kicked 16 goals.

- Igor Stravinsky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:27 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Agreed Clem

We had no one besides Stevo who was prepared to run and carry the ball. Stevo had to win the ball inside then carry it too!

Running and carrying the ball means you move the ball quickly. Thats what we did in the wizza. No one seems prepared to run now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 10:29 pm 
Bruce Comben

Even though it was a disappointing loss to the filth we can still bounce back. We are probably going to come up against Port at the right time. Hopefully Cornes misses this week.
I think Dennis will give the guys a fair rocket this week and I really hope our guys come out firing with some physicality against the Power. Also on a side note, I think Prendergast is probably our best option for Tredrea this week. McGregor kept him pretty much out of the match and I think Prenda can do the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:52 am 
Geoff Southby

Spot on Clem. Our last quarter effort was pretty bad - lots of up & under kicks and few players coming from behind to take the ball. Perhaps they were buggered, perhaps that sort of heat just knocked us around, but the plan wasnt working in the last quarter.