Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

I don't care what other people think, all the doomsayers and moaners saying we've just lost the finals race....IN ROUND 3.

By the time rd 22 comes around, we'll be in the 8. Maybe not by much, but we'll be there.

Was the WC an illusion? Did the other teams let us win? No way! We played a full-strength Weagles side determined to win, and got over them.

The glimpses of what we can be shine through the morass of defeats like yesterday, like glints of pure gold in a spadeful of dogshit.

When the season runs its course, we'll be playing far more evenly than we are currently, and we'll see off some sides that the "experts" give us no hope to.

Pay your ticket, take the ride. Just make sure you pack your sick bag for the moments like yesterday.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:30 pm 
Harry Vallence

yesterday would have been nice going into two very difficult games.

but the season is long and hopefully yday's loss gave us a good wake up call because we are a much better team than what we showed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 12:31 pm 
Bruce Doull

I just re-read what I wrote....I think I'm testing positive to "Dannyboy-itis"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:26 pm 
Trevor Keogh

yesterday hurt big time!

but:

1) i told a mate back in feb, a filth supporter unfortunately, that in wizz-cup we played teams with midfields who back themselves and like to run forward. we were able to win the ball in defence and hurt them on the way back. i told him that we would struggle to reproduce that scintillating form against team like kangas and filth who like to play 1-on-1 accountable footy in their midfield and get their guys back in defence. filth and laidley have been setting up with 7 man defences for last 3 or 4 years.

by this i don't to mean to say that we're soft or anything, but i remained unconvinced in the decision making abilities of some of the guys when having to "think" their way through a contest or through traffic. maybe it's just a confidence thing.

consequently, we're bombing the ball forward instead of kicking long to a lead. fev and whits are never gonna be strong pack marks like rocca and tarrant. we're leaving a lot of space between the kicker and the forward forced to sit under the ball and try to mark. he's usually outnumbered and so the opposition has all this space and time to set up and hit us on the counter. no coincidence then that teams have had amazing accuracy against us, even taking into consideration the flukes.

despite wizz-success, some guys are still lacking in confidence and therefore bombing long, which is different to kicking long! by bombing long, you refer responsibility and play personal survival footy, "i've done my bit, now it's up to you ... ".

we've been the hunted in 1st 3 rounds and haven't really coped well. we've spent 3 years being the hunters, and you don't just switch overnight. the lack of intensity in some guys hasn't helped btw!

2) make no mistake, it was crisis week at lexus palace. they set themselves for a huge one!

in the past couple of years, coll have gone into this game with guys like tarrant saying "the rivalry thing is more for some of the old supporters, but for the players it's just another game ... " or even "our rivalry is with brisbane .... ". not this time! both burns and lockyer during the week said "it's carlton and we don't wanna lose to them ... ".

all those press articles didn't help (great timing wallsy ... :lol: ). but we have to learn to cope with teams that come out snarling!

3) coll really went back to playing in their preferred way. they like being the hunters, setting up around the opposition, playing 1-on-1 stuff and doing heaps of (illegal ... but umps are too busy watching other stuff) blocking at stoppages etc. we couldn't match the intensity of their midfield and allowed licca to kick 3 .... licca kicked 3 ... that says it all really!

4) we'll got a lot out of this game and be better for it in the long run.

we have to stop teague getting exploited.
we have to stop bombing the ball to an outnumbered forward.
we have to put more defensive pressure on opposition backlines, like we did in the last qtr against bummers. eddie is our only shining light here.
we have to stop allowing teams pulling us out of shape. we've become far too "long" as a team. we were linking up better between the various depts during the whizz cup.

denis wont necessarily make wholesale changes, but i reckon he will have lost patience with some players (campo and davies perhaps). if chambers is ready then he'll play. if walker is ready to get 20+ possies then he'll play. if longmuir is ready, then he may be brought in so we can move waite down back.

don't know where karl's at, or rather i think i know but i wanna give him the chance to prove me wrong .... AGAIN!. what's that i hear you say "he's had heaps of chances ... " yep, can't disagree! he's lucky he's 194 cm!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 1:28 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

I said yesterday that this season is almost irrelevant so don't worry about whether we're going to make the finals, its 2006-7 that we're building towards.

Just thinking about that now....its a cop out really, in that we should expect to make the finals this season as well and accepting anything less is poor.

I think I'm right that we should hopefully be ready to challenge for a flag by 2007, serious finals 2006.

I can accept missing the finals this season as long as we get something out of it and win a flag by 2007. What would be better is to make the finals this season, gain some valuable experience and then go on to win some flags over the next 5 years

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 2:26 pm 
Craig Bradley

I admire your optimism, Kaptain Kouta.

But I'm not sure where you can find another 11 wins (which we'll need to scrape into the 8). Out of:

Port Adelaide (away)
Fremantle (away)
Hawthorn
Richmond
Geelong
Melbourne (OO)
Adelaide (away)
Sydney
Brisbane
Bulldogs (Darwin)
West Coast (away)
St Kilda
Fremantle
Hawthorn
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
Essendon*
Kangaroos

I see us winning somewhere between 6 and 9 from here on in. So if I'm on the ball, we'll win no more than 10 and miss out on the finals. We could win as few as 7 (which is fairly disastrous, because you're down the bottom, but out of priority pick range).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:21 pm 
Bruce Doull

You seen the way Port are playing today?

Made our day yesterday look great!

I think we're getting Port at exactly the right time...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:33 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
You seen the way Port are playing today?

Made our day yesterday look great!

I think we're getting Port at exactly the right time...

Yep, Port are getting thrashed at the moment and no doubt the Adelaide media will get stuck into them this week and fire them up.
Port have goal kicking problems, just can't seem to kick them but I'm guessing next week against us with our depleted backline PA will have no problems. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:38 pm 
Bruce Doull

Stefchook wrote:
I admire your optimism, Kaptain Kouta.

But I'm not sure where you can find another 11 wins (which we'll need to scrape into the 8). Out of:

Port Adelaide (away)
Fremantle (away)
Hawthorn
Richmond
Geelong
Melbourne (OO)
Adelaide (away)
Sydney
Brisbane
Bulldogs (Darwin)
West Coast (away)
St Kilda
Fremantle
Hawthorn
Richmond
Port Adelaide
Collingwood
Essendon*
Kangaroos

I see us winning somewhere between 6 and 9 from here on in. So if I'm on the ball, we'll win no more than 10 and miss out on the finals. We could win as few as 7 (which is fairly disastrous, because you're down the bottom, but out of priority pick range).

I see us winning between 8 and 13 out of that lot, depending on form and confidence. And I think we can pinch a couple that maybe we're not really entitled to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:03 pm 
John James

I agree KK, but then I said we would beat the Pies too.

The basic reason we lost yesterday was their defence was better than ours. The last quarter fade-out I contribute to lack of self-belief, brought on by the fact that they were unable to bury the Pies in the first half, when they should have.

We are a better team with Livo & Thornton in, and with others to come in like Walker and Chambers, I think we will be OK.

The way this season has started, we have a chance to beat any of the "top" teams. Port got thrashed, Lions lost at home, Saints lost, Geelong well beaten.

God help us if Barney gets injured though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:17 pm 
Serge Silvagni

I don't think it is all doom & gloom (but I am glad I am not in the Melbourne office this week :? )

Both losses this year have been because we haven't had the nous (nor the bodies) down back to deal with a couple of tall brainless hunks of muscle.

We all knew that without T-Bird we were going to tread a fine line to construct a reasonable defence and with Livo out of the picture we have no defensive structure at all.

It was no coincidence IMHO that Essendon* did not have a giant meathead forward and we were able to overcome them.

I think just having Livo there (am I able to say this :wink: ) would have made the difference in the last quarters against both the Roos and the Filth... and that would have had us 3-zip

Just hope Livo can stand up against Port coz we need his size and his skill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:21 pm 
Rod Ashman

I think I am more ashamed that we lost to such a shitful team, and the fact that we were up by 26 points and then just lost it in the last quarter.
I am very confident that our second half of the season will be a lot more successful, our young players need more confidence and more of a go to become more consistant. We will be back! It is only round 3.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

bosman wrote:
Yep, Port are getting thrashed at the moment and no doubt the Adelaide media will get stuck into them this week and fire them up.

Port have goal kicking problems, just can't seem to kick them but I'm guessing next week against us with our depleted backline PA will have no problems. :(

Agreed. Port getting a thrashing this week will make it even harder next week for us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 4:53 pm 
Craig Bradley

nope

we will win next week

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

The last 7 games we have every chance of winning, possibly 8 depending on how St Kilda are

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 6:33 pm 
Craig Bradley

I'd like to be in a tipping competition with you ThePrez and Fevolaaa.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:41 pm 
Garry Crane

Unless Pagan makes some changes, and makes these blokes more accountable for the crap footy they have dished out in the last 3 rounds, I can't see us winning too many games. Collingwood weren't even at full strength and at times I thought the Sandringham Zebras looked better, and we still lost to them!!!!! Hoiw painful it is to loose to Collingwood :(