Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:54 pm 
Rod Ashman

For those taht didn't catch it, it's up on the website http://carltonfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=296926

Reads okay I think

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:10 pm 
Herald Sun columnist

I thought the same thing GA. It was well written and well said from what I hear.

Although GS's use of the words Sneaky Leakers, should have actually read Judas'.

“It is a state of mind, a system of belief, a way of seeing the world, a deep faith that, because you are Carlton, you belong to something great.” - Mike Fitzpatrick articulating what Out of the Blue means.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

DownUnderChick wrote:
I thought the same thing GA. It was well written and well said from what I hear.

Although GS's use of the words Sneaky Leakers, should have actually read Judas'.

"Hamill's", please

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sounds like Kipling was a defender?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:18 pm 
Harry Vallence

No outlining of the future, no discussion of what has been achieved this year. It is okay, but it could be so much better...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:18 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I felt that this comment was fairly typical of the sit back and wait for things to happen

Smorgan said
What we know is that success will come. The wheel always turns. And some of you will have the opportunity to join those legends who have flown the Premiership Flag:

They probably have uttered those words at StKilda- Footscray and co and as we know success doesn't always come and the wheel doesn't always turn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:46 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Unfortunately for Pres.Smorgon - whilst that speech looks good on paper; it failed to deliver; and that's just the personality of the bloke.

Jack Elliott was good at delivering speeches. 'Grenneggs&ham'
Smorgon is not...it doesn't sound convincing - in fact it sounds like he's learning on the job and as a senior businessman who has sat at the pointy end of many a board meeting - it's simply not good enough.

By not good enough - I mean not good enough for the Carlton Football Club...call me arrogant if you will; but this great club was built on arrogance and intimidation.

The problems we find ourselves in today are because certain characters elected to prominent positions thought they were above the footy club and confused the word arrogance with stupidity.

Stupidity is what we have now. And a president who cannot deliver a forthright message from what, in essence, is a fantastic speech - does not deserve to be president.

There are 2 types of males in this world. Those who were beaten up at school and those who weren't. I suspect Graham Smorgon was beaten up at school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:00 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:

There are 2 types of males in this world. Those who were beaten up at school and those who weren't. I suspect Graham Smorgon was beaten up at school.

those who were smart enough to get others to do the beating.... 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:05 pm 
formerly Josh Kaplan

I cant criticise that at all..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:14 pm 
Ken Hunter

Dr.SHERRIN wrote:
:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

Not a bad speech...can he resign now???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:29 pm 
Bruce Doull

Josh Kaplan wrote:
I cant criticise that at all..

Not many could. It was very, very good. Some here are just determined to slag off at any/every chance.

To be a St Kilda would be to terminate a proven coach with a hefty contract because of restless natives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

My criticism has nothing to do with the coaching position. It's about the CONTINUED and SUSTAINED lack of a vision for the future of the Carlton footy club.

It's about saying something positive that might get reported back to the media and getting sponsors and members interested in being part of the future of the club:

For example:

- He could have mentioned the finalisation of the development plans and funding for MC Labour Park as a major achievement for this year. He could have outlined the progress of the funding towards our $2million contribution for the redevelopment and called for further support
- More emphasis on the blooding of new players

With careful though, 2006 could have been painted as a building block on the road to success. A vision for the the future of the Carlton footy club could have been presented to get people excited about the future:

For example,

"By 2008/9 (whatever the date for completition of the redevelopment is) we will have a vibrant club that has around X players drafted in the first or second round of the draft. Young players of the future drafted today will have played around 50 games for the club and we will start to see the emergence of an experience core of younger players reaching 100 games".

Paint a picture of where we are going and use todays achievements as a way of measuring success against that - eg the redevelopment funding, Walkers 50th, etc. Get people thinking that there is a plan and we are on following it.

Instead, Smorgan's speech reads like something that gives no thought to what image the club would like to project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dr Sherrin

Quote:
Smorgon is not...it doesn't sound convincing - in fact it sounds like he's learning on the job and as a senior businessman who has sat at the pointy end of many a board meeting - it's simply not good enough.

Hi Doc, when you say "...it sounds like he's learning..." does this imply that you think he's learning, and that you may hold reservations in that the case may be that he knows what he's doing?

I thought it was a well written piece. And some of the things he speaks of are for real; the kids...stronger from the experience; the muscle doesn'r appear over night; we have 3 quality picks, including number 1.

You see what I fail to understand is what people expect him to say at a B & F. There seems to have been too much emphasis on ploitics on the night as it was.

Sure he doesn't bring up a financial plight and how we're getting ourselves out of it and when, but this is a B & F. I believe it's our financial plight that is the real cancer. I have no doubt that winning matches will make everyone feel better, and improve the aura of the club, but that will happen as the kids grow, regardless who is on the board, or coaching; there are no guarantees.

Whether we like it or not, the board has given Denis his charter, and if he's still there in 2007 to see it through, he is following orders on a youth policy; isn't that what we all want? (not the coach taking orders, but the actions needed)

Other improvements we wish to see are:

better use of the interchange bench
back the kids with an attacking style of play
stop the negative flood plan for 80% of the match
don't leave Fev to play a lone hand against 3 opponents
fierce pressure and tackling that stick....

this sort of stuff can't be said at a B & F, as it remains to be seen on the field. Hopefully, if the board and Denis are still there in 2007 (I have no preferences), that these changes come to fruition in 2007.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

steve wrote

Quote:
It's about saying something positive that might get reported back to the media and getting sponsors and members interested in being part of the future of the club:

For example:

- He could have mentioned the finalisation of the development plans and funding for MC Labour Park as a major achievement for this year. He could have outlined the progress of the funding towards our $2million contribution for the redevelopment and called for further support
- More emphasis on the blooding of new players

With careful though, 2006 could have been painted as a building block on the road to success. A vision for the the future of the Carlton footy club could have been presented to get people excited about the future:

Quote:
For example,

"By 2008/9 (whatever the date for completition of the redevelopment is) we will have a vibrant club that has around X players drafted in the first or second round of the draft. Young players of the future drafted today will have played around 50 games for the club and we will start to see the emergence of an experience core of younger players reaching 100 games".

Paint a picture of where we are going and use todays achievements as a way of measuring success against that - eg the redevelopment funding, Walkers 50th, etc. Get people thinking that there is a plan and we are on following it.

Yep, that's selling a vision that even the media would take note. He definetely didn't do that, and missed that oportunity.

Well put Steve. You've been earmarked as his next script writer. Watch out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

Sydney Blue wrote:
They probably have uttered those words at StKilda- Footscray and co and as we know success doesn't always come and the wheel doesn't always turn

I think sentences like that one aren't supposed to be dissected...they are supposed to be an indication that it is very very possible for this club to turn itself around....you can't just give up.

Anyway we are Carlton, We can do it so @#$%&! the rest :):)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:09 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

TheBluesMuse wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:

I think sentences like that one aren't supposed to be dissected...they are supposed to be an indication that it is very very possible for this club to turn itself around....you can't just give up.

Anyway we are Carlton, We can do it so F@%&#! the rest :):)

You should run for the board! :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:18 pm 
Craig Bradley

hang on - i didnt even go :?