Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:08 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

Which word do you prefer in our club song?
They like to send UP 51%  51%  [ 73 ]
They like to send US 49%  49%  [ 70 ]
Total votes : 143
 Post subject: CFC Song
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:33 pm 
Ken Hunter

Don't know if this has been discussed before, but I would like something clarified re Carlton's song.

I swear that on the 'official' version of the song, the lyric goes, 'They like to send up', and not, 'They like to send us'.

This is supported by the printed lyrics on the back of the Carlton Football Club Song 45 that I bought back in the eighties (sung by 'The Fable Singers'), which has 'They like to send up' as the words.

I realise that everywhere else states that 'They like to send us' are the actual words, but that's not what it sounds like to me.

Either the singers stuffed up (as well as the person who printed the words on the back of the record), or the club doesn't know the words to its own song. It should also be mentioned that the 45's written lyrics have 'The team old Carlton knows' as the fourth line, and not, ''We're the only team old Carlton knows'.

Exactly when did the song (based on 'Lily of Laguna') become Carlton's official anthem, and have the original written lyrics of the Carlton version been stored somewhere?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Last edited by bluedog on Fri May 27, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I have a Herald privelege record/LP of the club song from the 1960's and it has 'up' instead of 'us'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:41 pm 
Bob Chitty

SEND UP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:42 pm 
Laurie Kerr

No-one would tell the difference when you sung it anyway...except maybe one of you lot 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

I've had no success yet in finding anything about the song in the Blueseum, but this is something that all supporters need confirmed - we've got to know the words to our song!

More importantly, the players need to know the correct words - no sarcasm re needing to win first please.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:54 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

bluedog wrote:
I've had no success yet in finding anything about the song in the Blueseum, but this is something that all supporters need confirmed - we've got to know the words to our song!

More importantly, the players need to know the correct words - no sarcasm re needing to win first please.

One of the many areas that still need to be covered. Would be great to have a page dedicated to the history of the song.

When it started.

Who chose it.

Who wrote it.

The accepted lyrics.

etc.

Will send an email off to one or two of the experts and see what info we can get. :-D

Just did some makeshift research and 'Lily of Laguna' was originally written in 1898. So at least that puts a limit on when it started.

If anyone has any info let us know!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:41 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Downloaded a couple of early versions of the original song.

Will put them up soon.

Seems to be some ye olde time racism as part of the original lyrics

http://ingeb.org/songs/shesmyla.html

Seems that 'Lily of Laguna' was one of the songs on the playlist on the Titanic as well! :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:47 am 
Bruce Doull

Yup Dog..........

i'm hearin ya......i actually mentioned it a year or two
ago also........it's something that FREAKS me out too..........!

we need closure on this...........!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 1:01 am 
Ken Hunter

Personally I prefer, '...send up', but you're right tommi, it definitely needs closure. And by that, I don't mean someone simply saying, 'let's just keep it the way everyone is singing it now' (send us).

The board in the players' change room at Princes Park has 'send us' as the lyrics, and I don't know when that was printed, but that's not enough to convince me they're the correct words. Similarly, the CFC website has 'send us', but that still ain't convincing enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:45 am 
Bruce Doull

It is a source of confusion and it has been discussed on TC before I think…

Here's the link to the lyrics on the website: http://carltonfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=clubsong

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:58 am 
Stephen Silvagni

I too always thought it was 'send up' - I can confirm that the words in the change rooms have been there at least since 1988. Perhaps Col Hutchinson of the AFL can help us with the history of the song?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:08 am 
Robert Walls

this is what's wrong with the club. It's stuck in the past playing 100+ year old songs. We're a joke.

We've been left behind - look at Freo and West Coast and geez Adelaide. You don't hear those clubs playing 100 year old songs. They've moved on.
We need to learn from them not keep our heads in the sand and suffer the consequences.
Until Smorgon and his rabble can see the way forward we'll be smashed because of this. It futility to keep on doing the same old thing. Might've worked in the late m60s, 70s and 80s but not anymore.

Its an anachronism that must go. No kid is going to hum a 100 yr old tune. Tell me a kid who wants that on their mp3?

We could get Kanye or Fiddy to do something and move with the times. Until this club gets it right we will not improve. The whole place needs a clean out and start again.
The only blokes that know the words are Whitnall and Stevens. Says something doesn't it?

fair dinkum...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:11 am 
Geoff Southby

:lol: :lol:

Thanks for that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Wild Blue Yonder wrote:
We've been left behind - look at Freo and West Coast and geez Adelaide. You don't hear those clubs playing 100 year old songs. They've moved on.
We need to learn from them not keep our heads in the sand and suffer the consequences.

Your kidding me - your telling me we need a club song written by Mike Brady. :roll:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:19 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

:lol: nice WBY

should have thrown in a few multiple question and exclamation marks though.

email has been sent off to someone who should know the history of the song, should find out soon.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:21 am 
Stephen Silvagni

No one will ever convince me its anything other than 'send up'.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:22 am 
Stephen Silvagni

WBY - was your entire post written tounge in cheek?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:37 am 
Serge Silvagni

BRING BACK THE NOTCHES!!!!1!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:45 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sorry WBY - I didnt read your post you were being tounge in cheek. :oops: But nothing will ever convince me we need a club song written by Mike Brady, ala the Eagles travesty of a song. :evil:

As for "send up" -v- "send us" - I reckon it would be "send up" as when it was written at the turn of last century the term "send up" has connotations for sending up troops to the front line, and it would have been referenced with respect to Carlton "send up" your local champions to Carlton where they will join the big boys in the front line. :wink:

Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:13 am 
Rod Ashman

ill pay close attention next march after we next sing it.

"In fairness it did seem in the early days of the draft teams would just pick a name totally at random out of a hat. I'm pretty sure we picked James Cook at #2 one year. The mediocre forward, not the explorer" - Me, 12/9/2011

Carlton 2012: Lets remind them why they once feared the Dark.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next