Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next

Which word do you prefer in our club song?
They like to send UP 51%  51%  [ 73 ]
They like to send US 49%  49%  [ 70 ]
Total votes : 143
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:52 pm 
Ken Hunter

So everyone - what did we sing tonight - send UP, or send US?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:59 pm 
Horrie Clover

SparkyBlue wrote:
The only club song in the AFL that you can -

'da dada da da ho hum'

- to... that way you don't even have to sing the words to piss off opposition supporters...

As for Richmond - I'd love to dump a truckload of chickenshit on their club song... :wink:

True...our song can be understood from humming.

Good point.

personally I like the Melbourne song. It is the same as Norwood's.

&

I AM PROUD SPONSOR OF THE CAROLINE WILSON HATE CLUB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:28 pm 
formerly p(12)terg

TheBluesMuse wrote:
As far as song go I like Richmond's one

tommi wrote:
NOOOOOOOOO.............
CAST THEE TO HELL.....................!

Sparky Blue wrote:
I'd like to dump a load of chicken shit on the Richmond song
heheh .. or spit on it, like a Richmond supporter!
Rambo Stallone wrote:
Get Metallica and use their one song
Absolute classic, Sly! But do you think it's a little lengthy? The first quarter will be over before the opening song is finished!

Big T wrote:
champions they like to send up
It works just as well with champions they like to send us because, more often than not, they become champions when they come to [What's The Name This Week] park. They used to, anyway .. and it appears they are again, too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:44 pm 
Ken Hunter

Warby wrote:
From The Sun....

Are the boys singing, "They like to send UP", or "They like to send us"?

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:47 pm 
Trevor Keogh

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

FWIW... UP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:01 am 
formerly blue-insider

Wild Blue Yonder wrote:
this is what's wrong with the club. It's stuck in the past playing 100+ year old songs. We're a joke.

We've been left behind - look at Freo and West Coast and geez Adelaide. You don't hear those clubs playing 100 year old songs. They've moved on.
We need to learn from them not keep our heads in the sand and suffer the consequences.
Until Smorgon and his rabble can see the way forward we'll be smashed because of this. It futility to keep on doing the same old thing. Might've worked in the late m60s, 70s and 80s but not anymore.

Its an anachronism that must go. No kid is going to hum a 100 yr old tune. Tell me a kid who wants that on their mp3?

We could get Kanye or Fiddy to do something and move with the times. Until this club gets it right we will not improve. The whole place needs a clean out and start again.
The only blokes that know the words are Whitnall and Stevens. Says something doesn't it?

fair dinkum...

did you just say 'Carn the Pies' ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:58 pm 
Bruce Doull

Hey Sharrif..................

coooooon song...............................a-WHAAAAAAA........?

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:02 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

sheriffcassidy wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

FWIW... UP

Is it just me or does the bloke on the bottom of this look like Brett Ratten? Spooooooky

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:07 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

:lol:

classic kk.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

Oh dear,

Just stopped vomiting after seeing this pic from http://carltonfc.com.au/Season2007/News/NewsArticle/tabid/4311/Default.aspx?newsId=51007

THEY LIKE TO SEND US :cry:

and line 3...

WE'RE THE TEAM THAT NEVER LETS THEM DOWN :shock:

Please someone tell me what the words to the Carlton Football Club song are meant to be... :? :? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:09 pm 
Serge Silvagni

blue-insider wrote:
Wild Blue Yonder wrote:
this is what's wrong with the club. It's stuck in the past playing 100+ year old songs. We're a joke.

We've been left behind - look at Freo and West Coast and geez Adelaide. You don't hear those clubs playing 100 year old songs. They've moved on.
We need to learn from them not keep our heads in the sand and suffer the consequences.
Until Smorgon and his rabble can see the way forward we'll be smashed because of this. It futility to keep on doing the same old thing. Might've worked in the late m60s, 70s and 80s but not anymore.

Its an anachronism that must go. No kid is going to hum a 100 yr old tune. Tell me a kid who wants that on their mp3?

We could get Kanye or Fiddy to do something and move with the times. Until this club gets it right we will not improve. The whole place needs a clean out and start again.
The only blokes that know the words are Whitnall and Stevens. Says something doesn't it?

fair dinkum...

With all respect WBY - what are you thinking? Kanye or Fiddy? What a joke. 'No kid is going to hum a 100 yr old tune'? Have you heard the freo/wc/adelaide theme songs? Why not hold up the port power theme as a shining example? 'Freo heave ho? WTF is that? Have you ever actually heard what they do with that one? It's GARBAGE. How about you write us a new song that truly captures the spirit of CFC and put it up so we can correctly debate the merits of your artistic outpourings? Just like the 'old heave ho, way to go'? (Go where?) Next step is celebrating a win with lasers and a rave party... no singing, just small box-bigger box-bigger box-bigger box (dance moves BTW).

It's a celebration of the club and a way of connecting to the generations - literally - before them. Yes it's an old tune, but it's recognisable and the sentiments in the words are SUPPOSED to convey what the team is about. If you can come up with a better song - all power to ya. But please don't hold the artistic abominations that have cropped up in the AFL eg port/freo/wc/crows.

Another good thing about it as pointed out above is that it really gets to foreign supporters without even singing the words (or getting to them).

Ra-da-da-da-da, Ra-da-da-da-da, Ra-da-da-da-da-da-da-dadup...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:34 pm 
Ken Hunter

Jarusa wrote:

Hey Jars,
You aren't that landslide expert I was referring to in TalkingStuff (Federal Election) are you? :wink:

Post subject: Re: CFC Club Song
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:04 pm 
formerly p(12)terg

bluedog wrote:
Don't know if this has been discussed before, but I would like something clarified re Carlton's song.

I swear that on the 'official' version of the song, the lyric goes, 'They like to send up', and not, 'They like to send us'.

This is supported by the printed lyrics on the back of the Carlton Football Club Song 45 that I bought back in the eighties (sung by 'The Fable Singers'), which has 'They like to send up' as the words.

I realise that everywhere else states that 'They like to send us' are the actual words, but that's not what it sounds like to me.

Either the singers stuffed up (as well as the person who printed the words on the back of the record), or the club doesn't know the words to its own song. It should also be mentioned that the 45's written lyrics have 'The team old Carlton knows' as the fourth line, and not, ''We're the only team old Carlton knows'.

Exactly when did the song (based on 'Lily of Laguna') become Carlton's official anthem, and have the original written lyrics of the Carlton version been stored somewhere?
It's up .. dunno about the official lyric ... but on the version I have they say "up" .. on the club website it's "send us" ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

This is what is up on the change room wall at Princes Park => CFC Club Song

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:41 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Read the whole thread. It is a good read.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:57 am 
Stephen Kernahan

In the eighties and nineties didn't they change it to 'spend up'?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:50 pm 
Geoff Southby

For some reason I have never sang 'us' and when I was young I saw them sing 'us' and thought they should be taught the song properly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:17 pm 
Rod McGregor

I am 56 and always thought it was "send us".

As for changing the 100 yo. song, well it was 60+ years old when I was singing it as teenager- never had any problems with it.
Collingwood, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney, etc etc are all based on old songs .

Certainly prefer ours to "Were forever blowing bubbles" or "When the red, red robin keeps bob-bob bobbin' along" that some soccer clubs have.
What about melb. victory's -that's not cash hot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:40 pm 
formerly p(12)terg

blueycarlton wrote:
I am 56 and always thought it was "send us".

As for changing the 100 yo. song, well it was 60+ years old when I was singing it as teenager- never had any problems with it.
Collingwood, Richmond, St Kilda, Sydney, etc etc are all based on old songs .

Certainly prefer ours to "Were forever blowing bubbles" or "When the red, red robin keeps bob-bob bobbin' along" that some soccer clubs have.
What about melb. victory's -that's not cash hot.
From a video I got of old GFs I heard the Aints singing another song completely in 1966 ... that suggests to me that many of the clubs have actually changed their song ... what's with that?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next