Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:17 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Wayne Harmes Toyota ad
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:31 am 
Craig Bradley

Has everybody seen the ad with Harmesy in it? It has these two dorky blokes setting up a recreation of the famous boundary line tap in 79. It's quite funny.

Even though he is looking more and more like a keg on legs every day, Harmesy looks like he really got into the spirit of things.

Collingwood people must REALLY hate it :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:34 am 
Bruce Doull

One of the "dorks" is Steven Curry of "the castle" fame. And I thought Harmesy looked a little litle a keg on legs in 79....the difference was that the keg had a white CFC on the front.... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:44 am 
Trevor Keogh

Never been the fittest or tallest man Harmesy... :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:14 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Fantastic ad - the James Hird one is amusing too.

Am disappointed they haven't made more - would love to see them simulate the half time brawl at windy hill in 74.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:59 am 
Bruce Doull

Deano Supremo wrote:

Am disappointed they haven't made more - would love to see them simulate the half time brawl at windy hill in 74.

Or Blighty's after the sirent torp at Princes Park....as much as that hurts....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:02 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Kaptain Kouta wrote:
Deano Supremo wrote:

Or Blighty's after the sirent torp at Princes Park....as much as that hurts....

What about the Fraser Brown tackle in the '99 prelim?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:12 am 
Rod Ashman

Great Ad.

The great man (Harmesy) does some brilliant acting when one of the guys bumps into him and he turns around pretending he is really annoyed. They are like little kids in a lolly store being around the great man.

My favourite ad. of all time actually. Every time I see it it brings a smile to my face.

Harmesy - where's the oscar nomination? i also liked how he pretended he could hardly jump off the ground... everyone knows that even with a tad more weight than his playing days he could still jump over a silo.

Last edited by tap in 79 on Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:20 am 
Bruce Doull

Super effort that ad.

Hey, on FoxFooty I keep seeing ads for other club's membership drives, is there a Carlton one about that I just keep missing?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:52 am 
Adrian Gallagher

tap in 79 wrote:
Harmesy - where's the oscar nomination? i also liked how he pretended he could hardly jump off the ground... everyone knows that even with a tad more weight than his playing days he could still jump over a silo.

If memory serves, in the Age last year when they first started showing the Ad, it was reported that Harmes tore his Hamstring or Groin when he did the dive. Not sure how many takes there where to get it right, but am sure Harmes hurt himself and then had to do the jump. May explain the lack of any real height in the jump.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:22 am 
Stephen Kernahan

camelboy wrote:
Super effort that ad.

Hey, on FoxFooty I keep seeing ads for other club's membership drives, is there a Carlton one about that I just keep missing?

From what I understand the club made a decision not to do membership tv ads anymore. At least one independent study has shown that they don't even pay for themselves.

To make them pay each screening would have to convince hundreds of members to sign up and if it was that simple then all clubs would simply be running ads all the time.

TV advertising works for broad appeal products. 10% of the population barrack for Carlton so that writes off 90% of the viewing audience. Then you have to take out all those who already have memberships and those who'll never buy one regardless of the appeal of the ads and it doesn't leave you with a very big pool of punters to pick up.

It's a good decision by the club and makes you wonder why those who continue to use them are bothering.

The best way to increase your membership remains winning games thus making people want to jump on your bandwagon. Anything else is charity. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:40 am 
Bruce Doull

Hey look........

it's Gee Dubya..........with some very insightful
info too.......!

that makes total sense...Gee.........!

kindest regards tommi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:52 am 
Trevor Keogh

GWS wrote:
camelboy wrote:
Super effort that ad.

From what I understand the club made a decision not to do membership tv ads anymore. At least one independent study has shown that they don't even pay for themselves.

To make them pay each screening would have to convince hundreds of members to sign up and if it was that simple then all clubs would simply be running ads all the time.

TV advertising works for broad appeal products. 10% of the population barrack for Carlton so that writes off 90% of the viewing audience. Then you have to take out all those who already have memberships and those who'll never buy one regardless of the appeal of the ads and it doesn't leave you with a very big pool of punters to pick up.

It's a good decision by the club and makes you wonder why those who continue to use them are bothering.

The best way to increase your membership remains winning games thus making people want to jump on your bandwagon. Anything else is charity. :wink:

Good point GW, I think the club had its most effective membership ads on Friday night and the Wizzer Cup Granny... If that won't convince you to sign up nothing will...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 12:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

Thanks GWS ... so we should be running ads with the result everytime we win a game then. Tell me a Carlton membership ad showing Sheeds trudging off the field wouldn't have immediate results!

:lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

The ad is ok. But in the ad the ball was in, in the real game the ball was out. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:28 pm 
Harry Vallence

It's a disgrace that they think that the James Hird incident from last year ranks in the same echelon as Harmesy's effort in a grand final.

They must be kidding themselves.

Only one season later, you watch the Hird one and wonder what they're on about.

NOW YOU'RE JUST SOME CLUB THAT I USED TO KNOW.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:41 pm 
John Nicholls

camelboy wrote:
Thanks GWS ... so we should be running ads with the result everytime we win a game then. Tell me a Carlton membership ad showing Sheeds trudging off the field wouldn't have immediate results!

:lol:

They should just continually show Eddie's goals on Friday night ad nauseum.
Should net a few thousand more members.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:41 pm 
Geoff Southby

fullmont101 wrote:
The ad is ok. But in the ad the ball was in, in the real game the ball was out. :wink:

They've cut out the best bit, at the end it used to have Harmes and the two guys walking away from the oval and one of them says to Harmes "was it out?" and he replies " Does it matter!?"

Hence my old signature.

Ronald Reagan

Last edited by killpies on Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

'Dad I dug another hole...'

Great add, love it.

Today, when I take a close look at my Baggy Green, as I often do, I see mateship, camaraderie and teamwork, and a sense of belonging. I hope that its legacy lives on and the spirit it provides stays strong. Stephen 'Tugga' Waugh - Never Say Die.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:06 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

fullmont101 wrote:

Not true actually.

Last year Kismet managed to get hold of a copy of the ABC footage of that moment (the footage that's shown from directly in line with the event rather than the Channel 7 footage which didn't really show a lot).

We sat down with a Collingwood supporter (I still feel dirty) and went through it frame by frame on the tape. It was obvious from the first viewing that the ball was in. Having done that a few times we even managed to get the Pieman to agree that the ball was in and that the boundary umpire got it right (although probably by accident because he wasn't all that close). He wasn't happy about it but he couldn't argue with it. When Harmes makes contact with the ball it's just inside the line.

Hard to know whether it would have been better if it was out but I can guarantee you it was in. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:20 pm 
Rod Ashman

I was in standing room at the Western stand end so not far from it. My impressions at the time were. "Harmsey, what a @#$%^ &*(^% kick", then watching him run it down full bore though I thought it was on the way out. Watching two pie defenders slow up assuming it would go out (Picken and maybe Ireland or Brewer) and then Harmsey getting there and belting it to Sheldon in the square. I was watching the boundary ump expecting his hand to go up, and my memory is that he was pretty close to it and had a really good view.

But all the discussion re whether it was in or out is just another manifestation of Collinwoood "1970 syndrome" where they look for excuses rather than solutions for their failures. Sheldon's goal from the knock on happened 5 or 10 minutes from the end, put us 10 points up ( or more than a goal anyway) and if it had of been out the rest of the game would have panned out differently anyway. It's another excuse so pie fans don't have to dwell on the fact that they were 5 or 6 goals up just before halftime in a low scoring match on a filthy day and still got done. If they want to take something from the incident it's that Harmes chase on the ball wins flags, the Collinwoods defenders slowing up assuming it would go out shows what doesn't win flags...and if Peter McConville had of been paid a mark that wasn't paid and led to Wearmouths goal that got them within a kick, it woudl be a non issue.

Sensational piece of play though.....

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next