Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 7:54 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Game Plan
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:58 pm 
Adrian Gallagher

Geez it’s hard to not get too excited with exhilarating brand of football being played the Blue boys at present. The thing I find most interesting is change of Pagan's masterplan.

We have gone from the team of triers kicking long to a contest to a side that moves the ball with precision through the midfield via our 1/4 backs Skinny and Hoops. The transition is as smooth as silk and with Fevalenko and Slim Red creating havoc in the forward 50, we are providing a headache for opposition coaches. IMHO the Carey influence may be starting to shine through already with Fev's body work showing some familiar "Careyeske" hallmarks.

The protection of the ball carrier drills, which have been extensively discussed during the off season, appear to be having an extremely positive effect in the transition. This coupled with clear change in body shape and exponential increase in foot speed, gives me the indication that the hemorrhaging that occurred at times last year, will hopefully be a thing of the past. I figure if we can get to the contest, we can negate the run on.

Time will tell but the signs are extremely positive and I can feel that arrogant swagger sneaking into my gait.

Your thoughts ?

BackInTown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:05 pm 
Ken Hands

Yeh good points. THe thing i've noticed over the last two weeks is that theres always a player running past for a handball. And its usually more then one player.

I reckon its get the ball out of the backline to a runner and carry the ball until u hit fevs or Red. simple yet effective.

Madden working the ruckman, Carey the forwards, Sos working the backs....(does he) and Dennis the General. Gee thats good!
LOOK OUT
MB

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:09 pm 
Ken Hunter

The Ghost dubbed them swamp rats. This side swarms. This side takes risks. This side has pace and skill and daring. i agree it is exhilerating because they work as a fluid cohesive unit.

Yes is has weaknesses (BV's midfield problem being 1) but it is a hell of a step up from the past few years. And now when we make a mistake its because they are trying to use each other to the nth degree.

This brand of football will win games in Septemeber - not saying its about to happen but that when it does, this style will hold up.

Its team-orientated, risk taking direct and furiously fast football. It is fantastic to watch!

Spread the word people the Blues are back and they are worth paying money to see!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:09 pm 
Rod Ashman

One thing I've noticed is MORE numbers to the contest. At the fall of the ball, I can see so many Blues players running past it brings a tear to the eye. This hasnt happened for how many years?

Carlton want to play as a team, and this makes all the difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:12 pm 
Harry Vallence

Couldn't disagree, and when it clicked, it was awesome.

However, thought that a few had a tendency to overwork the ball (note to Karl in particular), and thought we were trying too hard to dish off when they should've had a ping.

But god, THE LID IS OFF!!!

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:13 am 
Stephen Kernahan

All valid points.
The most notable aspect is we always funnel the ball through CHF.
The players have licence to run the ball wide and through the wings but we rarely enter the 50 wide.

This contributes to our good conversion rate and is especially notable compared to sides like Geelong.
Fev should take some credit for this as he consistently leads up the corridor regardless of where the ball is entering from.
He has become a brilliant reader of the oncoming play.

Whitnall has also straightened up his game with increased fitness.
Last year he was lurking around the flanks trying to outbody his opponent where this season he is leading hard at the ball carrier.
All good signs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:09 am 
Garry Crane

I agree, it is a fantastic style of footy to watch. They run together and swarm.

This style of play will lead to turnovers, we just have to run back hard when that happens.

This team has a great spirit developing. Its totally unselfish and centred around the team.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

Blue Vain wrote:
All valid points.
The most notable aspect is we always funnel the ball through CHF.
The players have licence to run the ball wide and through the wings but we rarely enter the 50 wide..

good call that - in the end i think that is what won us the game on sunday.

Look at where we where having our set shots from and look where melbourne was having their set shots from. Fev & Whitnall where leading straight up the ground where Russel & Neitz always lead to the pockets.

To sound like Dermott Brereton - this happens for three reason.

1. There always appears to be a CHB for us staying in "the whole" that prevented this option, but conversly with Fev and Lance working so well together there always seemed to be whole for us to lead into.

2. Our pressue on Melbourne when ew didnt have the ball cuased a panic of sorts of that they had to use it they would caught. i.e Stormin Norman's run down of the wing. The melbourne guy was no doubt waiting for a lead up the middle and when it wasnt forth coming he held onto the ball to long

3. Our defence seems to push out the forwards to the pockets. I noticed the same thing against the bummers. Another positive for our defence. And for me they can have 10 shots out in the pockets every week, they would be lucky to score more than 4 from out that way.

IMO i think to much was made of Melbourne's comeback. The scored at least 5 or 6 goals from kicks off the ground about 3 feet out from goal. Not much you can do against that so considering that i think our defence did really well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:13 pm 
Craig Bradley

something that just occured to me as well considering we have Pagan as coach now.

does the way Fevola and Whitnall work remind anyone else of the way Carey and Longmuire worked together?

shit, im getting excited just thinking about the prospect of it all :D