Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 6:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 139  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2023
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:52 am 
Craig Bradley

billy_bongo wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
If Papley is no chance, I hope they look at Brent Daniels at GWS, not sure what his contract status is but he'a a good small forward who know hows to kick a goal.

He's had a lot of injuries of late. Out at the moment - hamstring, somewhat serious.

Welcome to Carlton then...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 9:00 am 
Geoff Southby

he sounds perfect!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:56 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

This time last year I criticised the club for not having a 3rd ruck. Looks like we are hurting from this again

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 12:26 pm 
Craig Bradley

Paddycripps wrote:
This time last year I criticised the club for not having a 3rd ruck. Looks like we are hurting from this again

We were playing 5-6 suitable options on the field at once.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:50 pm 
Bert Deacon

GreatEx wrote:
GWS are doing pretty well themselves, always competitive and developing a nice style.

Yes, they're ticking over alright. There's a bit of talk they may trade picks for the No. 1 pick again. We could try that - package our pick 3 and our two other picks, 66 and 67. Steak knifes are very popular this that time of the year.

Hawks coach Kennedy used to say, "Just do something".
WE should return to our traditional recruitment slogan, "Just buy someone"

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 5:56 pm 
Rod Ashman

billy_bongo wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
If Papley is no chance, I hope they look at Brent Daniels at GWS, not sure what his contract status is but he'a a good small forward who know hows to kick a goal.

He's had a lot of injuries of late. Out at the moment - hamstring, somewhat serious.

Still, small forwards are the least of our problems. Sorting the midfield/forward line disconnect might be a start. Even that's not our root cause issue.

We are often getting more inside 50's than the opposition however we struggle to keep the ball inside our 50 and kick goals. A small/mid size that can apply heat in the contest and kick a goal would be exactly what we need. You'd be surprised how better the team would be if we could hold the ball in and kick a goal. It would actually give our defence an actual chance rather than the ball waltzing down the field where holes appear everywhere. Scoreboard pressure, it's all in the head.

I agree our entries and forward line connection is poor but we can't continue on relying Harry and Charlie to kick goals, we need other avenues, a small crafty forward would be a big start on winning more games.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:18 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Currently have pick 4!

Inside mid with pace who can kick (in the Rozee/Butters mould).

Post subject: List Management 2023
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:46 pm 
Bruce Doull

And then nothing until pick 60 or something, correct?

We seriously need to hit trade week hard

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:47 pm 
Bruce Doull

CK95 wrote:

Ouch !

We sure do !

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

Can’t have Cripps Kennedy Curnow Hewett Walsh on the same list. Maybe 3 at most. The game now is all about run, carry and spread

Also, our skills are pathetic. Acres has to be the worst inside 50 kick I have ever seen.

The efforts of players like McGovern & Young can’t be tolerated. Not tough enough

We need to somehow get a heap of picks and refresh the list

We need to get picks

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:34 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blow up the list.

Cerra, Charlie and Weitering stay. As do Kennedy, Kemp, Boyd and the young uns. Walsh give him the benefit of the doubt as he’s coming back from a serious back issue.

Everyone else on the table.

We all laughed at Ned Guy remember. Turns out he was a genius. Let’s do what the Pies did, and go even harder.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 11:41 pm 
Rod Ashman

We need a clean out.

McGovern, Marchbroke, Dow, JSOS LoB, Honey just to start

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:19 am 
Bert Deacon

Blue4ever wrote:
billy_bongo wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:

Still, small forwards are the least of our problems. Sorting the midfield/forward line disconnect might be a start. Even that's not our root cause issue.

We are often getting more inside 50's than the opposition however we struggle to keep the ball inside our 50 and kick goals. A small/mid size that can apply heat in the contest and kick a goal would be exactly what we need. You'd be surprised how better the team would be if we could hold the ball in and kick a goal. It would actually give our defence an actual chance rather than the ball waltzing down the field where holes appear everywhere. Scoreboard pressure, it's all in the head.

I agree our entries and forward line connection is poor but we can't continue on relying Harry and Charlie to kick goals, we need other avenues, a small crafty forward would be a big start on winning more games.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:25 am 
Bruce Doull

DesEnglish wrote:
We need a clean out.

McGovern, Marchbroke, Dow, JSOS LoB, Honey just to start
Agreed but there's not a lot of trade value in that lot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 12:53 am 
Bert Deacon

Blue4ever wrote:
billy_bongo wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:

Parachuting a small forward into our mess of a forward line won't make any difference, even if you could find one. Lack of small forwards are not the root cause of our on-field problems. You need to start where the game begins - in the centre circle. Our on-ball brigade as a group are too slow, have poor disposal skills, organisation skills, basically are not in tune with the game (esp the modern game). We need to prune them right back and find other players who can run through the centre. Before today I would have said Cripps, Cerra and Walsh can form the base but Cripps played like a broken man today as he must be under enormous pressure so I would go Cerra, Kennedy and Walsh (for the remainder of this year) and hopefully we can add Dow (altho I'm not yet convinced) Cunningham (ditto) or even Kemp (wasn't he a mid as a youngster), while we look for a top flight on-baller (barge arses need not apply).

As for the coach he did a very good job last year with the players he was given but unfortunately since the Tiger juggernaut the game has changed with the emphasis on speed and run (which we are not equipped to play and cannot compete with the top teams, or even the bottom ones). He needs tactical support immediately.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:06 am 
Harry Vallence

The 6 6 6 rule came in how many years ago?

What planning did we do around this? Faster game. We’re too pedestrian

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:19 am 
Harry Vallence

billy_bongo wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:
billy_bongo wrote:
Blue4ever wrote:

Parachuting a small forward into our mess of a forward line won't make any difference, even if you could find one. Lack of small forwards are not the root cause of our on-field problems. You need to start where the game begins - in the centre circle. Our on-ball brigade as a group are too slow, have poor disposal skills, organisation skills, basically are not in tune with the game (esp the modern game). We need to prune them right back and find other players who can run through the centre. Before today I would have said Cripps, Cerra and Walsh can form the base but Cripps played like a broken man today as he must be under enormous pressure so I would go Cerra, Kennedy and Walsh (for the remainder of this year) and hopefully we can add Dow (altho I'm not yet convinced) Cunningham (ditto) or even Kemp (wasn't he a mid as a youngster), while we look for a top flight on-baller (barge arses need not apply).

As for the coach he did a very good job last year with the players he was given but unfortunately since the Tiger juggernaut the game has changed with the emphasis on speed and run (which we are not equipped to play and cannot compete with the top teams, or even the bottom ones). He needs tactical support immediately.

Our biggest issues are pretty obvious. Lack of run and poor foot skills.

The mix of midfielders needs to change. Can’t have Cripps, Kennedy and Hewitt in same midfield. Two need to go. Need to find two quality inside/outside midfielders with good foot skills. Easier said than done. If you rely on draft, then you have to go back yo drawing board and accept another rebuild.

The other glaring issue is the half back line. Need ball carriers. Saad is simply not enough. McGovern was to provide that skill set but is finished at this club. Also think Doherty is cooked. Hopefully Kemp continues to improve. Looked good at times last night.

More avenues to goal is another key issue. Need to find a third marking option with pace. Martin won’t be that player. Our small forwards have been awful this year. Not sure what to do with Owies.

As a minimum, get games into Cowans and Binns and start the process of regeneration.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:11 am 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:

SOS built a mid table list... everyone else knows it

Trading out the likes of TDK and Gov will only add more picks around 60

...we're [REDACTED]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:43 am 
Bruce Doull

Surely we get better than 60 for TDK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:44 am 
Bruce Doull

We have 1 good young player who impressed in the 2s to bring in. Cowan.

This rebuild has not worked. Last night was the end result of it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2764 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47 ... 139  Next