Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:00 am 
Harry Vallence

keogh wrote:
We have been less than average since round 10 last year.
Slow ball movement.
Like last year lose the contest when it’s in close and we are gone
Nothing has changed from last year.
Voss needs to throw the magnets around and see what the team can conjure up.
You look at Adelaide and how they moved the ball.
Every defender except Butts and Murray run through the lines
Hinge and Smith are brilliant kicks
Milera, Jones and Sholl all good kicks who run out of defence
Badly missed Doc and dare I say McGovern who once again showed his legs can’t hold up to regular AFL footy
This was coming.
Hewett is clearly injured
Cripps just travelling
Kennedy injury interrupted
That’s the game
Cerra tried to lift the side but he is a fourth string mid. Give up a first and third rounder and in the long run your depth will be tested
Acres was one of the few to hold his head up but he too is your average solid citizen type player

What the Crows have mainly done is trust their recruiting staff to pick kids
Rankine and Dawson are from other clubs
Dawson has been a huge pick up
Great leader as well
Voss needs to start playing guys in different positions
Inject some ball movement
Play Binns Carroll Kemp
He needs to find out what this list can do
That won’t happen if it’s the status quo
Nothing to lose

Good summary

Too one dimensional and rely on too few
We may not have the cattle for that quick ball movement due to lack of pace and our kicking ability
Our list seems unbalanced to me, which doesn't help
Agree, need to change the mix as simply winning enough games to fall into the eight won't lead to sustained success
I was calling for a mini rebuild a few years ago. I think we have missed the boat
If we miss our premiership window, it may end up being a full blown rebuild

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:03 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Voss doesn't have an unique game style that screams out premiership

Also, this is twice now this team has gone to Adel to play the Crows and they haven't mentally turned up. Who's to blame? Coaches need to take some responsibility but the players clearly haven't matured since last year

Not sure the players nor head coach have what is required

And in any event the list is unbalanced with too many slow players

Cornes was right

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:27 am 
Ken Hunter

deano35 wrote:
Whatever Coach came up with the idea of playing Kennedy at HB and Hewett at HF needs to stay in Adelaide please.

Why was Cincotta not given a chance ahead of Plowman???
Why was Kemp not playing ahead of Plowman????
Why is Dow not even given a chance
Some very strange tactics and coaching tonight

Hard to disagree with this.
I cannot for the life of me understand why Dow is not being given a go.
We lack pace and that is something he has, surely he gets a game next week.
I used to stick up for Plowman, thought he was hardly done by from supporters.
After last night I hope he never plays again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:31 am 
Ken Hunter

I went to the game. I've been to both Port and Crows games in SA and never again. Collingwood level ferals.

Also very annoying to be one of the unlucky clubs to getting one of the SA teams for this round.
CK95 wrote:
Not the end of the world, knew Adelaide would be a tough assignment.

Midfield very out of form but should get better when Walsh Kennedy Acres settle, & when we work out what to do with Hewett. Geez Doc would have been handy tonight.

Fisher Honey Plow all in the gun for next week. Maybe Cowan needs a rest & Hewett a week to get the hand right.

10 day break, dust ourselves off, go again.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk
I thought pregame that while Walsh being back is great the mids have been playing a while without him and they'll need to re-adjust a little.

Can't blame that for the rest of the side though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:36 am 
Ken Hunter

missnaut wrote:
I went to the game. I've been to both Port and Crows games in SA and never again. Collingwood level ferals.

Also very annoying to be one of the unlucky clubs to getting one of the SA teams for this round.
CK95 wrote:
Not the end of the world, knew Adelaide would be a tough assignment.

Midfield very out of form but should get better when Walsh Kennedy Acres settle, & when we work out what to do with Hewett. Geez Doc would have been handy tonight.

Fisher Honey Plow all in the gun for next week. Maybe Cowan needs a rest & Hewett a week to get the hand right.

10 day break, dust ourselves off, go again.

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk
I thought pregame that while Walsh being back is great the mids have been playing a while without him and they'll need to re-adjust a little.

Can't blame that for the rest of the side though.

I went to a game against Port many years ago. I also swore I would never go there again, and I haven't.
You are right about being one of the unlucky clubs. Only 2 had to play SA teams and of course we were one of them.
Hopefully if they have something similar next year we get a neutral game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:44 am 
Trevor Keogh

tap in 79 wrote:
Carlton didn't exactly have their best 22 out there.

Last season when Carlton beat Adelaide in Melbourne the players who had an impact were:

Docherty - 30 possessions
Carroll - 18 possessions / 3 clearances (4th highest clearance count in the team)
O'Brien - 17 possessions.

If you had those players in this match you give your team a chance.

Plus, yesterday our midfield brigade were coming back/or carrying injury - Kennedy, Walsh, Hewett.

If you had access to Docherty & McGovern plus selected Carroll and O'Brien in that team, omit Honey, Plowman & either ??? you give your team a chance.

LOB's contested ball and clearance work would've been the difference.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:45 am 
Rod Ashman

Agree with the Kemp call. He should have been in for McG although I guess they would have taken Plowman as emergency b/c he is more versatile for travelling team.
I don’t agree with Dow for this game - with Kennedy, Walsh & Acres coming in, there was no way Dow would get a game this week. Over the last couple of weeks though, I would have thought about it and he should be net cab off the rank for a mid. And I can’t imagine he would be any worse than Fisher although if we bring Dow I think it should be to play as a mid rather than HF.
I still think lack of movement is our biggest issue.
Adelaide shot off a couple of quick handballs, got the ball to a player who was surprised to find himself in space (cos we were 3 steps away), and kicked to one of a couple of moving targets who had 2m on our guys.
And when we get the ball, everyone ahead of the ball just stops so even if Saad runs past for the handball, he sees nothing further down the ground to kick to and either circles back or does a dinky 12m pass to someone in no better position. Same for kick outs and same when we go i50.
They were always moving. We were always stuck on our heels.
The last 10mins this week and last week have probably cost us 10 goals!!

Hollands was good.
Walsh was good in his first game back.
Newman was good.
E Curnow worked hard.
I think Harry worked hard, but that kick!
Only other positive is that maybe this shakes us out of our slumber. On the field and in the coaches box.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:53 am 
Harry Vallence

Agree with most of the analysis about us and our problems, but let's also give credit to Adelaide, they were awesome.

It's sad that we seem to be in a perpetual rebuild cycle and other teams like the crows do it once and get it right.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 8:58 am 
Rod Ashman

This is the first and last Gather Round? Am I right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:18 am 
Bruce Doull

Sad today…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:24 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Traveller86 wrote:
Agree with most of the analysis about us and our problems, but let's also give credit to Adelaide, they were awesome.

It's sad that we seem to be in a perpetual rebuild cycle and other teams like the crows do it once and get it right.

That's probably the saddest part of it all. We never seem to get it right.
Fully expect West Coast and North to go past us in a couple of years too.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:31 am 
Rod Ashman

wasthesonofapreacherman wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Carlton didn't exactly have their best 22 out there.

Last season when Carlton beat Adelaide in Melbourne the players who had an impact were:

Docherty - 30 possessions
Carroll - 18 possessions / 3 clearances (4th highest clearance count in the team)
O'Brien - 17 possessions.

If you had those players in this match you give your team a chance.

Plus, yesterday our midfield brigade were coming back/or carrying injury - Kennedy, Walsh, Hewett.

If you had access to Docherty & McGovern plus selected Carroll and O'Brien in that team, omit Honey, Plowman & either ??? you give your team a chance.

LOB's contested ball and clearance work would've been the difference.

:smile: :smile:
I get what you’re doing here. That’s funny.
Look, I’m not the biggest LOB fan, but he is a better option than Honey at least.
He’s a two way runner who gets to lots of contests.
Honey gets to few contests.
Choosing your bottom 2-3 players correctly is vital…

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:44 am 
Laurie Kerr

mymanmurph wrote:
Reilley O’Brien killed us in the middle! We were outplayed and out coached. we are so fortunate to have 2 forwards other teams would kill for and we don’t complement them with smalls we add resting ruckmen to compete with.when the ball Hits the ground and we get run off our feet.
We look so much better with 1 ruck.
Rant over :)
hopefully we switch on for Saints as I think they would’ve won by more tonight

I was at the game last night. Drove over. Father/son road trip.

We sat on the wing - I had a perfect view of O'Brien taking away TDK's run and jump at the football. Perfect ruckwork by O'Brien. TDK did not change up one thing. He was smashed at the centre bounce time and again. If any club comes calling with some decent draft picks I am making out like a bandit and going to the draft...

TDK wants to be a ruckman - he isn't.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 9:53 am 
Bruce Doull

It was a pretty sub standard squad out last night. Not just the obvious weak links but the returning players were not at their best also. Do Adelaide have injuries? I'm honestly not sure if they do, but I haven't heard anything to suggest they have.

Plus when your first ruck is out of action from the first qtr, that is always a big blow. Especially against a guy like O'Reilly who took control like a decent experienced ruckman would (& like O Mac did against Coll last week).

Just on Pitto. I was a bit surprised that TDK ruckd for the first 10 min of the game. I wouldn't do that again if I was Voss. Pitto is the superior centre square ruckman & he should start the game for us.

It's a little weird seeing people jumping up & down for Dow to come in. This happens on TC all the time. We have a whipping boy, then we play like shit, then everyone wants the whipping boy back. For me, I've never seen this pace that everyone goes on about. But he might get a call up anyway.

The sky isn't falling - it's a very long season, as we found out last year. We will have an extra 3 days rest on the Saints, who will hopefully have a very tough game against Coll on Sunday.

Go Blues.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:32 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Am I right in saying that Sam Walsh's goal in the first half was (other than Doc's 2 long bombs), the only goal kicked by one of our mids this year?
The great man achieved in less than half of footy something the rest of our mids have failed to do in 5 games.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:35 am 
Ken Hunter

CK95 wrote:
It was a pretty sub standard squad out last night. Not just the obvious weak links but the returning players were not at their best also. Do Adelaide have injuries? I'm honestly not sure if they do, but I haven't heard anything to suggest they have.

Plus when your first ruck is out of action from the first qtr, that is always a big blow. Especially against a guy like O'Reilly who took control like a decent experienced ruckman would (& like O Mac did against Coll last week).

Just on Pitto. I was a bit surprised that TDK ruckd for the first 10 min of the game. I wouldn't do that again if I was Voss. Pitto is the superior centre square ruckman & he should start the game for us.

It's a little weird seeing people jumping up & down for Dow to come in. This happens on TC all the time. We have a whipping boy, then we play like shit, then everyone wants the whipping boy back. For me, I've never seen this pace that everyone goes on about. But he might get a call up anyway.

The sky isn't falling - it's a very long season, as we found out last year. We will have an extra 3 days rest on the Saints, who will hopefully have a very tough game against Coll on Sunday.

Go Blues.

Crows are pretty much at full strength. What a luxury that would be.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:37 am 
Harry Vallence

Can we stop blaming injuries!!!

We need to move on from blokes like McGovern, Martin, Williams, Marchbank and Cunningham coz they can no longer be put in the 'Oh but we are missing these players from our best 22'

They are all unreliable and cannot play more than 12 games combined per season.
The only player we missed last night was Docherty that's it.
Injuries are not the problem.

Coaching, game plan and game day tactics are the real issues that need urgent attention.

We have the players
6 x All Australians
2 x Coleman medallists
Brownlow medallist
Arguably the best FB

There's plenty of clubs who are playing a better brand of footy with better game plans that have less talent on their list than us.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:41 am 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:

Go Blues.

That's pretty fair analysis about putting Pitto in there first.
Also, their one wood of muscle in the midfield with Cripps etc in there doesn't always work, and with Doc. out they need another person to rotate in there. It doesn't appear to be Fisher...but what do I know?
Will be interesting to see who they select. It is a small sample size, but in the game vs North Carroll did ok and got a centre square clearance.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:45 am 
Wayne Johnston

Last night took me back to the Pagan & Malthouse days

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:54 am 
Robert Walls

deano35 wrote:
Can we stop blaming injuries!!!

We need to move on from blokes like McGovern, Martin, Williams, Marchbank and Cunningham coz they can no longer be put in the 'Oh but we are missing these players from our best 22'

They are all unreliable and cannot play more than 12 games combined per season.
The only player we missed last night was Docherty that's it.
Injuries are not the problem.

Coaching, game plan and game day tactics are the real issues that need urgent attention.

We have the players
6 x All Australians
2 x Coleman medallists
Brownlow medallist
Arguably the best FB

There's plenty of clubs who are playing a better brand of footy with better game plans that have less talent on their list than us.

Voss 2.0 is no different to Voss 1.0

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 212 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next