Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Jun 08, 2024 12:56 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:04 am 
John Nicholls

I was saying we could easily be zip and 3 going into this round and yet here we are "undefeated".

The frightening (and somewhat exciting) thing is we've barely clicked into gear this year and are still yet to put our best 22 on the park.

Mids aren't kicking goals (yet). We've been pretty ordinary in our ball movement (so far). We're yet to gain any real momentum in any game (except maybe the third quarter yesterday). Frankly we've been putrid for most of it.

Boy oh boy wowee if and when it clicks in the coming month or two, watch out..... when this train gets rolling (and it will) it will be very hard to stop. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:08 am 
Ken Hunter

DesEnglish wrote:
Also, was stoked to see Larkey have a $h!+ game.

I just noticed in the stats he got a behind, must have been while I was parenting. That broke a streak of 22 consecutive goals, which I'm assuming the commentators mentioned more t than 22 times.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:08 am 
Adrian Gallagher

Happy to win and bank 4 points.

But geez that first half was pretty poor.
Do that v Swans or Bears up north or Dees or Pies at mcg, were probably 7 goals down.

Totally understand we are a work in progress etc, but we had a bit in our favour today. Umps loved us for first time since only God knows when, the 2 big boys up front playing on midgets and Norf can't kick a goal and their best forward is on 1 leg virtually whole game.

Number 11 played a ripper today, more please. Also, number 25, that should be your standard for the rest of the year.
Number 4, go get some confidence in magoos.

Some big ammo returning next week.
Bit worried about next week, but hope Freo and Crows belt each other today.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:12 am 
Ken Hunter

I have watched the second half again and while not happy with the last 10 minutes or so we really did play some good footy.
The club and players really embraced the day and week. Listening to Cooke and Vossy we are keen to get this game again next year, and hopefully it will become an annual clash between the two clubs.
Well done to all involved. I didn't go yesterday but if we play again next year I will definitely try to get tickets.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:16 am 
John Nicholls

kezza wrote:
I have watched the second half again and while not happy with the last 10 minutes or so we really did play some good footy.
The club and players really embraced the day and week. Listening to Cooke and Vossy we are keen to get this game again next year, and hopefully it will become an annual clash between the two clubs.
Well done to all involved. I didn't go yesterday but if we play again next year I will definitely try to get tickets.

I thought Vossy played it beautifully in his presser.

All credit to North, well done North, etc et al.

But the reality is they tried it with other clubs, and no-one draws a crowd like we do. They need us on this one and that's OK.

Makes sense it's us too because Norf and Carlton are either side of the RCH so it's a natural fit and it does feel like it should be come a permanent fixture. Hope it does.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:20 am 
Ken Hunter

robertbb wrote:
kezza wrote:

I thought Vossy played it beautifully in his presser.

All credit to North, well done North, etc et al.

But the reality is they tried it with other clubs, and no-one draws a crowd like we do. They need us on this one and that's OK.

Makes sense it's us too because Norf and Carlton are either side of the RCH so it's a natural fit and it does feel like it should be come a permanent fixture. Hope it does.

We said years ago that North and Carlton should be the two teams to play in this game.
Fingers crossed this is a permanent thing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 9:33 am 
Geoff Southby

I guess it’s easier when you’re not losing, but Voss’s performances in the post-game pressers this year have been first class.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:01 am 
Garry Crane

missnaut wrote:
I think we've got an OK run this year with umps though. We are starting to get more of the 50:50s go our way.

4 umps now. This should be the new normal.
Not many sides will be able to legally curtail the two big blokes with an ump standing 5 metres away.

Finally, one domino that has fallen our way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:05 am 
Craig Bradley

london blue wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
The only positive a sane person would deduce is we are winning games without playing truly well. Anyone who can't see this is fooling themselves and others.

Would you prefer we play our best football now and lose 8 of our last 12 games OR play our best as we approach the finals?

Why is that even a choice?

You play your best every week...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:08 am 
Geoff Southby

As soon as the siren went, and I saw the reaction of the players, I just knew they weren't happy with the last 15 minutes or so. I'm sure Vossy will have a lot to say about that. Old habits die hard, so they say.

I felt comfortable we could get the job done.

I'm really starting to appreciate Cerra, he is just so tough.

I think our backline could soon be the best in the competition.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 10:51 am 
Rod Ashman

We need to make sure we are more like Geelong than Melbourne last year.
Both were playing average footy at the beginning of the year.
Melbourne were winning, Geelong were about 50-50.
But Geelong tweaked a few things and steadily improved. Melbourne got stuck playing average footy and couldn’t find another gear during the second half of the season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:24 am 
Geoff Southby

Wondering how mclovin went. Abc radio torched the guy in first quarter but i see that he was named in the best. So he must have gone ok over the four quarters

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 11:36 am 
Ken Hunter

I thought he was pretty good in the first too, dunno what he was being canned for.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:02 pm 
Garry Crane

my concern once again 1 our kick in from Fullback straight to a contest on hbf ,no system I(keeps coming straight back ) and we need quick ball movement to take next step

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 1:46 pm 
Harry Vallence

11 Int possessions for the Gov, the most by any blue. He is absolutely key to our success (hands on eyes, can't watch). One of our best yesterday.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 2:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
11 Int possessions for the Gov, the most by any blue. He is absolutely key to our success (hands on eyes, can't watch). One of our best yesterday.

One of the few with either the balls or the permission (or both) to try huge risk/reward kicks to open up the game. Beautiful low accurate kick of the footy.

Left wing moralists
In self serving denial
They shit me no end

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Heavs wrote:
sticksaftersiren87 wrote:

One of the few with either the balls or the permission (or both) to try huge risk/reward kicks to open up the game. Beautiful low accurate kick of the footy.

Also has the confidence and ability to kick on his opposite side. Very underrated skill IMO.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:27 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Pros
Backline superb as usual.
Weitering & Young 22 marks
Weitering food passes elite. He’s back.
Gov 6 marks and amazing foot passing.
Saads foot passing is unbelievable (even his intercepted on target kick keogh complains about)

Midfield undermanned but competed all game
Cripps first half protecting his fellow mids
Cerra inside midfield job tough as usual
Ed’s tag on LDU in the 3rd
Pitto 11 HO to advantage
Forwards
KPFs kicking 10goals
Marking a highlight
Smalls Motley Durdin Honey licked 4 goals

Young guns rising: Hollands Cowan Durdin Motlop
Honey 11 kicks 6 marks 41% game time.
Young developing players got a taste: Honey Carroll
Love the different gears we are learning to play
Vossys presser.
Won missing Walsh Williams Kennedy Acres Boyd Marchy Martin Owies & super sub Cottrell
Reserves won again with only 8 listed players

Cons

LOB poor
SOS not great 11 disposals at 56% Def
10 on Injury list
Last 4 goals to NM
Pitto needs to start marking
TDKs timing in the ruck
Lacking outside mids till Doc went in there
Sheezel 15 possessions in last Qtr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 3:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

The last 4 goals don’t worry me as much as the first half. Voss in his presser said the players were simply not following instructions in the first half. Seems again it’s difficult to have this group switched on for the full four quarters, which is why I keep ripping my hair out and feel like I’ve run a marathon each time I watch Carlton.

I hope the “click” comes sooner rather than later because this Jekyll and Hyde football is going to break our hearts again.

Also, those last 4 goals = another $5,000 for the children’s hospital, so not a bad thing at all.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

I take full responsibility for those last 4 goals. Kids & I left when we were 46 points up so we could beat the crowds... bluehammer your dad won't be happy with me :lol:

Sent from my Nokia G21 using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next