Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 5:52 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 108  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2018
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:26 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

murmurings around Dayne Beams coming back to Melbourne... ?

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Sombrero wrote:
smithy wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
kezza wrote:
As if we would ever get a first round pick for Murphy. Some club would have to offer him a 4 year deal worth around $700,000 a year for that to happen.
Imagine the "outrage" if that happened from the other clubs.

Exactly.

All the clubs still view Carlton as a "Big club" when really it is a basket case.
As it is still viewed as a "big club" (illogically) no club would want to assist it in anyway whatsoever, so there would be a huge outrage if Carlton got pick 2 or 3 for Murphy. It won't happen. They might "give" Carlton a pick around pick 15....which is again back in the heavy gamble territory.

The most pertinent part of that article was this:
"Incredibly, the Blues are now the least successful Victorian club this century. Since the start of the 2000 season, a year after the club had made the Grand Final and a year in which it was to make a preliminary final, Carlton has played 417 matches for just 157 wins (37.65%)." I guess the only advantage Carlton has over Melbourne, which has a record nearly as bad, during this time is it has won one or two meaningless finals.

To follow the Melbourne formula then Carlton would have to hand over the keys to the AFL....which I would be happy to do at this pathetic point in the club's history. I have no faith in Carlton's management, but we are sold the belief to "stick fat", "go to the draft" etc... yeah, well ok, can't wait until the draft in November.

Disagree, I would not let the AFL anywhere near our club, that would be the worst outcome possible. that we let them in at all under the guise of Collins is one of the reasons we are where we are, we tried appeasement it hasn't worked. It never does.
This code is rotten to the core and the AFL is a greedy suckling piglet that gets fatter and hungrier for more power and more control, never give these evil vermin what they want. Eventually in time the clubs will have to break away and start again, it is inevitable.
"Handing the keys to the AFL" (god I hate that stupid saying that makes these hopeless pricks out to be our saviors) would be the end of the club, full stop.

One of the reasons the AFL KOed us was that Elliot wouldn't kneel before them and at one stage suggested a super league similar to the NRL breakaway.
We need to think outside the box. I don't know what the answer is but one by one the other clubs are getting some toe hold that gives them an advantage. Essendon** started it with their deal at Docklands. Hawks got Waverley and Tasmania. The SA and WA clubs have purpose designed stadia that are hard for interstate clubs to win at. Geelong has it's own stadium provided by the taxpayers and the AFL for the most part on top of their being the last club to get free access to F/S and then there is the Gazza compo debacle.
North have placed themselves in South Tassie and in the long term that will be a financial bonanza as they are guaranteed gate takings they could only dream about at Etihad. Collingwood had Eddie and the shameless payola at the footy show for ten years that got them out of their financial woes. Sydney has a home ground and the COLA, which is a farce. If they need COLA, it should be paid to the lowest paid players, not as a 10% across the board salary cap rort that sees the players that need it the least getting the lion's share of it. Speaking of the Lions, they are a hole in the sand into which the AFL has poured an excessive amount of financial support and the odd priority pick that we haven't had. The two expansion clubs had several drafts to rort, which co-incidentally occured during the period we most needed access to good players and which is part of the reason we are missing players in the 24-27 age bracket. Dogs are getting into Ballarat, which I suggested we try several years ago. It hasn't proven financially successful as yet but it's in its infancy. Essendon** has been supported shamelessly by the AFL for the last four years on top of its stadium deal and the AFL has publicly stated that 'everybody wants a strong Essendon**'. Well I don't want a strong Essendon** on the back of corruption. Melbourne had Rootsy paid for by the AFL and a 'timely' over-the-top compo for Frawley when they were bottom of the ladder and went the quinella (as did Hawthorn when it landed Buddy and Franklin and thanks for coming.)
OK, we dug this hole and we need to get ourselves out of it. How do we get something extra to help? The money going to PP for the women's comp won't find its way to CFC directly. OK, the lights may be improved and the old stand is heritage listed but we will never play games there. Or will we? I have always been of the opinion that the second boutique stadium should be PP but the club has never really pushed it hard. Parking is an issue there, which Richmond is quick to point out is not the issue at Punt Rd. Could we relocate to Bendigo and develop a home ground there? How about Kilmore, close to Melbourne and in the growth corridor? Something. Anything.
I hate Richmond but I'll give them one thing. They've done this on their own. I struggle to think of any real assistance they've had from the AFL. They're like us in that regard.
Maybe it IS our board that's the problem. Maybe it's not but I think we need to develop something either alone or with the AFL that will give is something the others don't have.

In my dream, Visy, Fraser Brown and the Grollos rebuild PP for the club. The ACTU comes on board, lobbies the state and Federal governments for a subsidy and we establish the entire project as a trade-training project that will produce hundreds of tradesmen over the life of the rebuild and beyond.

Then I wake up and we're still 18th and broke.

I like that dream :thumbsup: , all except the ACTU part.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:32 am 
Stephen Kernahan

http://www.hpnfooty.com/?p=29899

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:24 am 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:

Look at the game and you come much to the same conclusions.
Stats are an overpriced drain on resources.
Dedicate more time to goal kicking instead of reading stats. If the coach's can't see what is going on in real time instead of referring to stats they're not worth the money or position they're in.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:09 am 
Stephen Kernahan

redback wrote:
Effes wrote:

Dedicate more time to goal kicking instead of reading stats. If the coach's can't see what is going on in real time instead of referring to stats they're not worth the money or position they're in.

What a simplistic view.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:53 am 
Vale 1953-2020

redback wrote:
Effes wrote:

https://www.analyticsinsight.net/how-analytics-is-making-teams-win-in-sports/
http://www.fox.temple.edu/posts/2014/04/importance-sports-analytics-game-field/

Just for starters.

Google "importance of Analytics in sports" and check out all the scholarly articles. Your biased simplistic view doesn't stack up against a multitude of research.

It's like people arguing that there's no global warming....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
murmurings around Dayne Beams coming back to Melbourne... ?

Good. Would love to get him and sloane.(yes...he will recover!)
Just no more hacks!
Pay more to get quality mature players with at least 3 years in them.
Maybe fyfe?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:17 pm 
Rod Ashman

Effes wrote:

Thanks for posting Effes. It had some good points. I liked the writer's point that Carlton needs more midfield depth, that McKay could be a positive player etc...

This bit got me though

"In 2016, we have analysed the likelihood of teams who finish bottom 4 rebounding into finals in subsequent seasons. They make for positive reading for any struggling side, especially when we consider the greater strides towards off-field equalisation that have occurred in recent years but didn’t exist across most of the 2000s."

What if your team is consistently a bottom 4 team AND also contributes money $$$$ towards other teams in "off-field equalisation".

Fact is that Carlton over the years has had to put money in to assist other clubs- Melbourne, St Kilda, Gold Coast, Bne etc- and in return they are down the bottom of the ladder.

Carlton's distribution from the AFL was 12 million. Guess how much the premiers of 2017 Richmond got - 12 million.

Go figure.

Nice to see equalisation in $$ action as GWS gets 22 million, Gold Coast 24 million.

You can see where the AFL's priorities are with these figures.

Carlton's management accept it as their lot. Yes, AFL, yes sir, 3 bags full...sir...3 bags of money going up to GWS, Gold Coast etc that is.

Carlton is expendable for the AFL...they are a money pit and one needs no further evidence than the absolutely pathetic dividend the club gets..

Oh but the AFL will justify it using a formula of "Revenue"...

Why doesn't their formula include how consistently shite a club is?

Is that the same formula that saw Melbourne get a compensation pick of 2 or 3 for losing Frawley to the favoured club of Hawthorn?
How does one get in on that formula?
Cain Liddle our courageous leader plans to do whatever the AFL wants... and they will continue to treat Carlton with contempt.

https://indd.adobe.com/view/3dab2f7a-55 ... d91cea5788

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

Btw, isn't a "romantic football story" that the Western Bulldogs won the flag 2 years ago?

Kudos for the romance.

Can we have a share of their extra $4 million dollars they got in 2017 then seeing as we are all feeling so fuzzy and emotional about the "romance" of it all?

Hawthorn only gets $2 million less than Carlton in their dividend...worked out by a complicated formula with Gil and Clarko at the coffee shop.

$2 million down but $30 million up thanks to the generosity of the AFL giving them a whole state to own in Tasmania. Oh North is playing there now...the horse has bolted Gil.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:54 am 
Rod Ashman

The most important quote of the whole of 2018:

"The biggest problem the AFL has got is that it takes 6 or 7 years to rebuild. It’s too long. It’s a whole cycle if you’re going through primary school its hard to attach kids the passion we had when teams could rebuild quickly many years ago. It’s the biggest issue S Hocking and Gil Mc has got right now.” 18 April David King.

Added to that, for teams in the "rebuild" there are other teams in the rebuild that the AFL view as being more important for various reasons. eg the ones listed above with revenue. The draft as it presently stands keeps teams down the bottom for longer. Reform it or lose it. Alternative? Get a partial/full open market going. At least do something. Don't sell "hope" on Carlton getting one good draft pick a year.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:33 pm 
Harry Vallence

Based on the current ladder position we are expected to receive pick 23 (2nd round pick from the Bulldogs) and pick 28 (2nd round pick from the Crows). Hopefully both sides have a poor second half of the season.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:08 pm 
Rod Ashman

Blue Boys wrote:
Based on the current ladder position we are expected to receive pick 23 (2nd round pick from the Bulldogs) and pick 28 (2nd round pick from the Crows). Hopefully both sides have a poor second half of the season.

Whether it is pick 20 or pick 23 I don't think it really matters. It is all a gamble when trying to work out the success of players when they are just 17 years of age. The draft age should be 20 or above, something should be done to reform it.

I decided to just randomly pick a draft to see how successful players in the 20-30 draft pick range are.
I picked 2015.

Pick 20 - Brayden Fiorini- never heard of him - excuse my ignorance
Pick 21 - Ben McKay - ditto
Pick 22 - Kieran Lovell - ditto

etc
Where it is interesting
pick 25- Josh Dunkley - strikes gold - premiership player Bulldogs
pick 26 - Kieran Collins - strikes mud - very next selection - also a Bulldogs player. Played 1 game.

If anything better exemplifies the random hit or miss nature of judging 17 year old kids. This is it.

so of this draft pick 20-30 90% of them I have never heard of, or couldn't be called raging successes... the draft is a con as it stands.

We are sold on the lie that the draft is the panacea for all of Carlton's problems, yet why is Garlett, Gibbs, Tuohy, Betts etc playing at other clubs? Every year we are told Carlton is plumbing for great new players at the same time they release decent players to get ones that may or may not be good. Gibbs for pick 10 and some other pick or whatever it was...it just isn't a level playing field. Gibbs got 30 something possessions on the weekend...but Carlton HAD to get rid of him otherwise he would have walked for nothing 2018 blah, blah and on it goes.

1 step forward for 3 steps back. November draft. I have pencilled it in already.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:34 pm 
Craig Bradley

Not all drafts are equal. I'd suggest this is probably a pretty good draft to have picks in the 20-30 range for.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 5:05 pm 
Rod Ashman

tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Boys wrote:

Whether it is pick 20 or pick 23 I don't think it really matters. It is all a gamble when trying to work out the success of players when they are just 17 years of age. The draft age should be 20 or above, something should be done to reform it.

I decided to just randomly pick a draft to see how successful players in the 20-30 draft pick range are.
I picked 2015.

etc
Where it is interesting
pick 26 - Kieran Collins - strikes mud - very next selection - also a Bulldogs player. Played 1 game.

If anything better exemplifies the random hit or miss nature of judging 17 year old kids. This is it.

so of this draft pick 20-30 90% of them I have never heard of, or couldn't be called raging successes... the draft is a con as it stands.

We are sold on the lie that the draft is the panacea for all of Carlton's problems, yet why is Garlett, Gibbs, Tuohy, Betts etc playing at other clubs? Every year we are told Carlton is plumbing for great new players at the same time they release decent players to get ones that may or may not be good. Gibbs for pick 10 and some other pick or whatever it was...it just isn't a level playing field. Gibbs got 30 something possessions on the weekend...but Carlton HAD to get rid of him otherwise he would have walked for nothing 2018 blah, blah and on it goes.

1 step forward for 3 steps back. November draft. I have pencilled it in already.

I get your frustration Tap but I don't see an alternative, (i.e. to the draft). No club's going to give us good players for peanuts. Free agency greatly favours clubs plausibly in flag contention. F/S' are a good way to get an advantage ... not sure what's coming up there.

The strategy we're following now, (ie trade good players for picks), is the one that underpinned Hawthorn's rise and built the foundation of their premiership teams. Hopefully we choose wisely.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

The problem with getting in this gigantic hole of midfield abyss, is the danger of just getting any mid in the right age bracket.
That could be a disaster because to eventually win a flag that midfield has to be up there with the best. A patchwork is not gonna cut it.
I'd pass on Guthrie, Wallis perhaps. Gaff, yes please!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:34 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigKev wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Boys wrote:

I picked 2015.

etc
Where it is interesting

I get your frustration Tap but I don't see an alternative, (i.e. to the draft). No club's going to give us good players for peanuts. Free agency greatly favours clubs plausibly in flag contention. F/S' are a good way to get an advantage ... not sure what's coming up there.

The strategy we're following now, (ie trade good players for picks), is the one that underpinned Hawthorn's rise and built the foundation of their premiership teams. Hopefully we choose wisely.
If we are following what Hawks did over 12 years ago we will never catch up because strategies change
Just because club x did this and they won a flag or 2 doesn't automatically equate to club y following the same path for the same result

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:24 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

tap in 79 wrote:
...it just isn't a level playing field.

Nobody held a gun to our head and told us to do the Jaksch trade, or use pick #19 on Boekhorst, or the McLean trade, Warnock trade, not sign Betts and let him walk for nothing, not signing up Jacobs earlier so we got screwed in the trade, underestimate Josh Kennedy and make him part of the Judd deal and lose the trade, let Garlett go for nothing, and pay a fortune for Daisy. And of course we've had more than our fair share of first round draft blunders with the likes of Lucas, Watson and Menzel.
We have nobody to blame but ourselves however our recruiting since SOS took over has been very good and I'm confident we will be playing finals in a couple of years.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:44 pm 
Harry Vallence

Sydney Blue wrote:
BigKev wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
Blue Boys wrote:

I picked 2015.

etc
Where it is interesting

If we are following what Hawks did over 12 years ago we will never catch up because strategies change
Just because club x did this and they won a flag or 2 doesn't automatically equate to club y following the same path for the same result

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Spot on. The goalposts have moved. 2 extra teams, concessions, academy, etc.

The pool for top flight administrators, coaches and players has constricted. Less of the best to go around in this highly competitive game.

Perhaps we should go back to allocated zones ie Bendigo, northern suburbs. Let clubs work their designated zones l say!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:06 pm 
Robert Walls

Humpers wrote:
tap in 79 wrote:
...it just isn't a level playing field.

Nobody held a gun to our head and told us to do the Jaksch trade, or use pick #19 on Boekhorst, or the McLean trade, Warnock trade, not sign Betts and let him walk for nothing, not signing up Jacobs earlier so we got screwed in the trade, underestimate Josh Kennedy and make him part of the Judd deal and lose the trade, let Garlett go for nothing, and pay a fortune for Daisy. And of course we've had more than our fair share of first round draft blunders with the likes of Lucas, Watson and Menzel.
We have nobody to blame but ourselves however our recruiting since SOS took over has been very good and I'm confident we will be playing finals in a couple of years.

Agreed

And you haven't discussed Lucas, Bootsma etc

People need to stop whingeing about priority picks and Carlton getting screwed over by the AFL

Carlton has screwed itself well enough thank you very much

Take our medicine, build a list through drafting kids, some quality late picks, mature bodies and good value FA

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Talk about moving goal posts, the AFL stitched us up in 2006 with the priorty pick.

We should have had pick 1, 3 and 19 not 1, 17 and 19. :mad:

I can’t see how the AFL give Brisbane a priorty pick without giving us one, in particular if we finish 18th.

Winston Churchill

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 ... 108  Next