Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 3:03 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2022
PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2022 11:01 pm 
Rod Ashman

frank dardew wrote:
40 players used this year goes to horrendous injury run but probably good in the longer term for list development

Fourth youngest list augurs well also for the future also

Ed will go (oldest on our list )Williamson also gone and Newnes you would think is touch and go

The biggest problem with the list is those senior players largely brought in from other clubs that over a number of years have long term injury issues McGovern Marchbank Williams Martin and Cunningham

This needs to be sorted in some way so that we get team continuirty and whilst people get hysterical here when you mention salary most are on significant salaries taking up a huge slab of the cap so it affects us in recruiting but also maintaining our guns on the list

Any chance WCE might take Martin? Be happy for another SPS type trade and use the pick for Sholl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:44 pm 
Rod Ashman

DesEnglish wrote:
frank dardew wrote:
40 players used this year goes to horrendous injury run but probably good in the longer term for list development

Ed will go (oldest on our list )Williamson also gone and Newnes you would think is touch and go

The biggest problem with the list is those senior players largely brought in from other clubs that over a number of years have long term injury issues McGovern Marchbank Williams Martin and Cunningham

This needs to be sorted in some way so that we get team continuirty and whilst people get hysterical here when you mention salary most are on significant salaries taking up a huge slab of the cap so it affects us in recruiting but also maintaining our guns on the list

Any chance WCE might take Martin? Be happy for another SPS type trade and use the pick for Sholl

I wouldn't be doing that! I would suggest that most of these guys will be right after another preseason. For McG and Martin the change in their playing roles has no doubt contributed to the injuries this year. Another preseason with specific training regimes will see that change. I believe the Marchbank and Cunningham latest injuries more related to coming back from knee reconstructions. They will come good after another preseason. The one of concern is the Williams recurring calf injuries - but that doesn't mean it can't be fixed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 1:50 pm 
Harry Vallence

DesEnglish wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
Preuss could get pushed out at GWS if the Grundy rumours are true. Given Pittonet gets injured a bit he could be a reasonable addition

Another injury prone player?

I like him. Big and hits hard. Everything we need

I like him as well but can never get on the park. We need to move past these types

I am very happy with Pittonet TDK & Mirkov. Just need a cheap mature back up

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 3:44 pm 
Geoff Southby

At the start of the year, I thought we needed another ruckman. But Mirkov has made enough improvement this season to make me believe he has a future. So I no longer think the ruck should be a recruitment focus area. We’ll go into 2023 with 3 genuine ruckmen. That’s enough.

I don’t mind the idea of a mature age KP/ruck if we can get one cheap to give us a depth (a Sam Rowe/Levi Casboult type). I wonder if S.Durdin can pinch hit in the ruck? OMac is probably cooked but he has played that role.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 4:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

I think OMAC is ok but another injury prone talk defender
I think he is an ok key defender but because of injury played less than 4 games in the last 2 years
Whilst not exactly the same can we have Marchbank McGovern OMAC on a list where you can be almost certain none of them will play anywhere near a full season

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 8:49 pm 
Rod Ashman

frank dardew wrote:
I think he is an ok key defender but because of injury played less than 4 games in the last 2 years
Whilst not exactly the same can we have Marchbank McGovern OMAC on a list where you can be almost certain none of them will play anywhere near a full season

I think that is really hard on Marchbank. Is Docherty injury prone because he has had two knee reconstructions? He will be fine with a good preseason.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:36 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

Martin is from WA.

It sounds like Austin has done plenty of work to get the out of contract Sholl keen to come.

I doubT Martin is going anywhere now he’s costing less than 500k after the $1M front end set up.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:44 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

I think that is really hard on Marchbank. Is Docherty injury prone because he has had two knee reconstructions? He will be fine with a good preseason.

I’m a huge Marchbank fan: perhaps bias.
But the questions will be raised on all the so called injury prone players.
Just happens to be a lot of our talls.

And Durdin didn’t look too confident playing as a defender tonight in the VFL either.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 10:57 pm 
Harry Vallence

DesEnglish wrote:
Preuss could get pushed out at GWS if the Grundy rumours are true. Given Pittonet gets injured a bit he could be a reasonable addition

Preuss? He's played a handful of games across three clubs. At GWS it seems as if he hasn't been out injured, he's been out suspended.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:31 pm 
Rod Ashman

cortez wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

Preuss? He's played a handful of games across three clubs. At GWS it seems as if he hasn't been out injured, he's been out suspended.

It’s the suspended bit that I like. There’s no fear factor in our side, the idea we have a guy that might belt you is t a bad thing

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2022 11:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

DesEnglish wrote:
cortez wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:

It’s the suspended bit that I like. There’s no fear factor in our side, the idea we have a guy that might belt you is t a bad thing

It could work.Imagine a Grand Final vs Dees.

Press’s knocks out Gawn and Jackson in the 1st, and for the remainder of the 1st and beyond, play with no genuine ruck and only 3 on the bench. Rinse, Repeat, till some Dees player wakes up to the ploy and focuses on taking out Preuss.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 12:57 am 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
DesEnglish wrote:
frank dardew wrote:

Martin is from WA.

It sounds like Austin has done plenty of work to get the out of contract Sholl keen to come.

I doubT Martin is going anywhere now he’s costing less than 500k after the $1M front end set up.

https://www.afc.com.au/news/933528/sholl-re-signs-with-crows
Scholl is contracted through 2024.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:44 am 
Craig Bradley

I like Marchbank as a player but no way can you compare him and docherty in the durability stakes or injury stakes or the performance stakes over their career
Marchbank was injury prone in junior footy and at GWS and has many and varied injuries throughout his career

I know it is difficult but this is the greatest problem of our list OMAC Williams Martin Marchbank Martin McGovern Cunningham Being injury prone and taking up salary cap

It would be great if this was solved with one more preseason but we have been saying this for the last 4 about some of these players and certainly all of them
Over the last 2 preseasons

One of the reasons we are 7 th and not top 4 is we can’t access these players and their skills for a greater part of the season

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:34 am 
Bob Chitty

Agree with Frank
We’ve rolled the dice with too many injury prone players for too long and it continues to come back to bite us.
Of course we could enter 2023 with all of the players Frank mentioned on the list but if we expect a different outcome from all of them (ie to somehow become durable), we will be left disappointed
Need to make a couple of tough calls on players in that group. In an ideal world you keep them and recruit back ups to mitigate risk of injury but we’ve got maximum list numbers and a salary cap preventing that from occurring. Something has to give

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 10:04 am 
Harry Vallence

aboynamedsue wrote:
At the start of the year, I thought we needed another ruckman. But Mirkov has made enough improvement this season to make me believe he has a future. So I no longer think the ruck should be a recruitment focus area. We’ll go into 2023 with 3 genuine ruckmen. That’s enough.

I don’t mind the idea of a mature age KP/ruck if we can get one cheap to give us a depth (a Sam Rowe/Levi Casboult type). I wonder if S.Durdin can pinch hit in the ruck? OMac is probably cooked but he has played that role.

Agree. It’s why I wanted Ballenden. 23, durable, big unit that can play any key position or ruck. Great list player to have

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:39 am 
Geoff Southby

FarmerBlue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

Agree. It’s why I wanted Ballenden. 23, durable, big unit that can play any key position or ruck. Great list player to have

It begs the question - why did no club touch him in the MSD? Financial demands? If that’s all it was, he should get a new agent.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2022 11:54 am 
Rod Ashman

aboynamedsue wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

It begs the question - why did no club touch him in the MSD? Financial demands? If that’s all it was, he should get a new agent.

I don’t think Ballenden looks in AFL shape, which for a guy recently out of the game and keen for another shot is a bad sign. Contrast that with Durdin, who’d been out for a couple of years and was ready when another opportunity came.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:00 pm 
Harry Vallence

cecil89 wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I don’t think Ballenden looks in AFL shape, which for a guy recently out of the game and keen for another shot is a bad sign. Contrast that with Durdin, who’d been out for a couple of years and was ready when another opportunity came.

If that is the issue then get him over for a full pre season and see what happens

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

With all due respect to Ballenden and Durdin, neither is winning us a flag

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:53 am 
Harry Vallence

sticksaftersiren87 wrote:
With all due respect to Ballenden and Durdin, neither is winning us a flag

Disagree. Depth, competition for spots, playing a role and being able to help a side wins games during the year is vital

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 93  Next