Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:53 pm 
John James

Braithy wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Braithy wrote:
problem with losing gov is his kicking is irreplaceable at the back. the games he's missed this season, we're noticeably worse. expect more turnovers from whoever replaces him (kemp/ marchbank) and those fast transitions out of defence into the midfield where we run & carry into attack won't be there.

i thought we might be okay, missing walsh and cerra, bcos our backline will still stand tall, and through gov, saad, doc, acres we'd rebound fast and run hard thru the middle which the saints don't deal well with.

if we're slow, we play into the saints hands.

this has danger game all over it.

when you look at the top of the table ... no other club has as many soft tissue injuries as us. this cannot be rotten luck. this is a management problem of player's load. it's kinda alway been with us too, before russell came in.

Fair enough. I think its players who can't handle the loads required to have players fit to run out 4 quarters. You need the loads if you want them fit. Vossy's contested game plan requires that resilience. May the fittest men remain standing. Have to make a decision on those at the end of the season. Gov's one of those too. he's a terrible footballer when he's not fit (see his first 3 seasons).

I think 190cm Gov is overated as a KPD. Its team defence that has enabled him to keep his opponents under control. When he's isolated with a taller opponent we suffer.

Govs 'wonder' kicks are only 1 or 2 a game when he's on, and the rest of his kicks fit into the team footy everyone is playing, including Kemp.

Marchbank is a very good kick and quick. He was rusty in his first game back with decision making, with the smother and walking through the goals (terrible decision by umpire), Kemp is finding his feet .
Its not Gov I miss. Marchbank and Kemp are very good marks too.

We will be right Braithy

it really isn't the players unable to manage, it's our system, unfortunately mate.

i have a bunch of text message's here i'm sitting on that i'd love to publish here. there's nothing really stopping me... but anyway; it shows there's a level of ingrained arrogance at the club about strength programs and protocols.

for example, russell has the guys doing their conditioning on an Ultra G treadmill - non weight bearing. it gets the cardio into us, but doesn't laod the muscles up and (eventually as the season grinds on) strengthen them. it's just one of the reasons why we suffer so many soft tissues.

pies implemented pilates and yoga into their program - and look., no soft tissue injuries.

i don’t have any privileged info but sounds plausible to me. like i said in the injury thread. pilates. was invented by/for ballet dancers who put their muscles under all kinds of strain and explosive action night after night during seasons. how many times do principle dancers take a 3-4 week recovery period off work? pretty rare.

kade simpson played almost continuously through his career and was near religious about pilates. admittedly he didn’t do much strength training but that’s not really the right take away.

collingwood have caught on as said by braithy.

i’ve lost count of player-weeks lost on our list and our starting 22 from soft tissue injury, namely pulled hamstrings.

they call this AFL caper elite sport and fund these football programs like you could fund a regional hospital or a refuge for family violent. if our players were racehorses we’d have shot most of them in the last five years. needs to be an independent enquiry, this club still has massive blind spots far as i can see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:55 pm 
Bruce Doull

They were doing yoga in Wayne Johnston's era

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 1:56 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Stefchook wrote:
Hope we find a way to control Sinclair. He's torched us in recent match ups.

Last game it was Sinclair who was carving us up then Vossy sat Cottrell on him and quitened him down, only for Hill to be the spare man doing the same damage in the 2nd half.

Walsh was HF and left his opponnent to be the extra mid. When we won it upfield all we did is bomb it to Harry and Charlie who were over by their opponent and an extra, and they would waltz it out.

I think our game plan is different and more measure how we hit targets and avoid being outnumbered.

We will see how the new system works this Sunday against a pain in the arse.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:00 pm 
John James

Paddycripps wrote:
Braithy wrote:
problem with losing gov is his kicking is irreplaceable at the back. the games he's missed this season, we're noticeably worse. expect more turnovers from whoever replaces him (kemp/ marchbank) and those fast transitions out of defence into the midfield where we run & carry into attack won't be there.

i thought we might be okay, missing walsh and cerra, bcos our backline will still stand tall, and through gov, saad, doc, acres we'd rebound fast and run hard thru the middle which the saints don't deal well with.

when you look at the top of the table ... no other club has as many soft tissue injuries as us. this cannot be rotten luck. this is a management problem of player's load. it's kinda alway been with us too, before russell came in.

He has his fair share of howlers too... if you look closely.

A fit Gov is one of the most improved on our list.

i only watched the reply and wasn’t there but caught glimpses of him blanketing Jamie Elliot and Elliot looked really frustrated by it. especially in the last quarter. apart from his screamer (which Gov was 10m off the pace on) he didn’t threaten us and Gov et al rattled his normally confinent kicking for goal.

to me it’s more about the cohesion of the back defenders. can they play one soldier down one soldier in like our mids and forwards have in the last 6 — 8 weeks.

soon find out! we can do this, and Ross Lyon will be riding the emotions on this game like no other. must win!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:00 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

cortez wrote:
Pies took plenty of pack marks in their forward line, we look short down there. Be good to get Boyd back. When you look at some of our ins, the cupboards starting to look a bit bare.

Boyd's shorter than Kemp Gov Marchy and Weiters. :wink:

Our mobile talls need to put some body on their opponents.
Pies took uninhibited marks last week. Was embarrassing.
Kemp and Gov were too short for Cameron Mihocek and McStay.
Marchbank was Ok, he must have longer arms.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:02 pm 
John James

CK95 wrote:
GreatEx wrote:
On the injury management front, I have been a Russell-hater for some time but I have some sympathy for him here... if you look at our recent spate of injuries, it started off with a bunch of impact (knee) injuries, and the soft tissue injuries have only come since we've had a smaller pool to select from. We did manage players against West Coast, but aside from that we've not really had the luxury of rotation because we needed to win all of the last 6 to get back into finals contention, and we don't have quite enough depth players that we can trust. Would anyone here really have accepted the return of, say, Fisher, to give our midfielders a rest? Lewis Young to give Mitch a spell vs. the Pies? I just don't see where the opportunities were.

Not great having players doing hammies at training though.

yep. Sam Kerr agrees!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Dodo27 wrote:
Durdin needs to come in... he is part of the Mosquito fleet that caused mayhem to most teams last year!

If the fleet can keep up the forward pressure game with the inclusion of Martin, we will go a long way. We will make the finals :)

If not Durdin, then plz give Binns a go.... he earned it :)

Owies, Motlop, Martin, Cuningham and Fogarty not enough? Leaves us with only 2 talls Charlie and DeKoning.

Oh yeah, then there Cottrell at High HF, who is ahead of Binns. I mentioned I heard that Binns is there to take Cottrells High Half forward spot if injured.

Durdin has not been that good this year, plus he's got a shoulder injury.
Even Motlop was lucky to get a chance back in the team, if not for the last minute call to rest Owies with a tight calf recently.

No room for Durdin or Fisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:11 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

diesel95 wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:
Braithy wrote:

He has his fair share of howlers too... if you look closely.

A fit Gov is one of the most improved on our list.

i only watched the reply and wasn’t there but caught glimpses of him blanketing Jamie Elliot and Elliot looked really frustrated by it. especially in the last quarter. apart from his screamer (which Gov was 10m off the pace on) he didn’t threaten us and Gov et al rattled his normally confinent kicking for goal.

to me it’s more about the cohesion of the back defenders. can they play one soldier down one soldier in like our mids and forwards have in the last 6 — 8 weeks.

soon find out! we can do this, and Ross Lyon will be riding the emotions on this game like no other. must win!!

I thought it was the other way around in the first quarter. Elliot had Gov rattled. Gov was too loose. Didnt pay enough respect.

Elliot missed 3 easy shots he normally would kick.
Gov could have been embarrassed if not for a bad day in the office for Elliot.

And that screamer Elliot took was better than anything Gov took last week. Elliot is 13cm smaller than Gov.

Gov improved last year playing in the backline, and doing the same this year, but he's not elite as a package.
I thought he was more damaging by foot last year.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:13 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
cortez wrote:
Pies took plenty of pack marks in their forward line, we look short down there. Be good to get Boyd back. When you look at some of our ins, the cupboards starting to look a bit bare.

The other problem was our defenders didn't appear to be spoiling in Q1, looked like they were trying to be Leo Barry

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Ross will try and turn this into a boring old slog, nothing can be surer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 2:47 pm 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:

I’m happy with a boring 10 goal win…

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

17th Premiership wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

I’m happy with a boring 10 goal win…

Bring it on, if they want a slog.
I'd prefer a slog and we have a couple outside players waiting for the spoils and off they go.

Crippa aint going to be bullied by Steele again. Hewett wont be bullied. Acres wont be bullied. Docherty wont be bullied.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 3:54 pm 
Rod Ashman

CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
cortez wrote:

The other problem was our defenders didn't appear to be spoiling in Q1, looked like they were trying to be Leo Barry

There was a lot of good blocking by Collingwood talls last week which we struggled against. St Kilda do not have the same height as Cameron, McStay, Mihocek and the other tall (US bloke)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:25 pm 
Harry Vallence

carntheblues wrote:
CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
cortez wrote:

There was a lot of good blocking by Collingwood talls last week which we struggled against. St Kilda do not have the same height as Cameron, McStay, Mihocek and the other tall (US bloke)

Marshall (201cm), King (202cm), Membrey and Caminiti (196cm)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 4:39 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

It will be a decent achievement if we can rustle up a win on Sunday, given how hamstrung we are at the moment.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:04 pm 
Wayne Johnston

Navy One wrote:
carntheblues wrote:
CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
cortez wrote:

Marshall (201cm), King (202cm), Membrey and Caminiti (196cm)

Membrey is listed at 188cm. Marshall is a ruck not a forward, and King is still in doubt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

In: Fisher
Out: Cerra (hamstring), McGovern (hamstring)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:07 pm 
Craig Bradley

Fisher -strange selection in my view

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:13 pm 
Ken Hunter

No Membrey!!!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2023 5:15 pm 
Harry Vallence

missnaut wrote:
No Membrey!!!

Emergency.

Will come in for King.

And can everyone stop stressing about him - he did sweet FA against us earlier in the year.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next