Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Jun 01, 2024 6:30 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Molly wrote:
I dunno...

a bit more confidence around here than I think is applicable for a game against Sydney. As the Don said above, the way the ladder has worked out this game is a must-win. Hopefully the players are a lot more switched on to the dangers the Swans provide than some of our fans seem to be. I'm confident the lads will give it their all as they have done all year - and I hope that will be enough. Go Blueboys!!!

I think this will be a fierce battle.
I haven't been assuming we will win..but have come to rely on the boys giving there all week in, week out.
So..I guess my confidence in their dependability has skyrocketed.
because I feel sure they will tough it out and not fold..
and..if both sides tough it out..
I think we can beat them...
and the boys have us on their side..
the crowd..lucky 19th.
and they want to win as much as we want them too.
So....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:56 am 
Wayne Johnston

#

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:04 am 
Wayne Johnston

Rexy wrote:
Disagree. One on one Dawes will smash Thornton.

Opinion.

As Ratts stated in his interview with Mathews it rarely becomes a one on one where height becomes an issue in a game. He reminded us that it is more about the back six and how they work together. Its about the "heat" on the ball when entering defensive fifty.

I personally believe that we are better sticking with our defensive unit than bringing in a bloke who hasnt been apart of it because he is 3cm taller so may be able to stop shots at goal those rare occasions when size is a factor.

If we lose because Dawes outsizes someone on a couple of occasions then a number of our systems of play in our current gameplan have more than likely failed.

If playing a game of kick to kick with Dawes and Thornton at one end i agree that Dawes would smash Thornton.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:29 am 
Stephen Silvagni

club29 wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Opinion.

As Ratts stated in his interview with Mathews it rarely becomes a one on one where height becomes an issue in a game. He reminded us that it is more about the back six and how they work together. Its about the "heat" on the ball when entering defensive fifty.

I personally believe that we are better sticking with our defensive unit than bringing in a bloke who hasnt been apart of it because he is 3cm taller so may be able to stop shots at goal those rare occasions when size is a factor.

If we lose because Dawes outsizes someone on a couple of occasions then a number of our systems of play in our current gameplan have more than likely failed.

If playing a game of kick to kick with Dawes and Thornton at one end i agree that Dawes would smash Thornton.

In essence I agree club.

I do however believe that our best tall KP structure going forward consists of Jamo in defence, Waite and Hendo being able to rotate between forward and back KP roles and Kreuzer and Hammer rotating ruck/forward. Laidler is more mobile and harder at the contest than Thornton and can play short/tall.

All things going well Thornton isn't in my best 22 with those above being fit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:25 am 
Wayne Johnston

Rexy wrote:
club29 wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Opinion.

In essence I agree club.

I do however believe that our best tall KP structure going forward consists of Jamo in defence, Waite and Hendo being able to rotate between forward and back KP roles and Kreuzer and Hammer rotating ruck/forward. Laidler is more mobile and harder at the contest than Thornton and can play short/tall.

All things going well Thornton isn't in my best 22 with those above being fit.

Kreuzer and Hammer are always going to play the role you suggest with some bench time. That one is a given.

Not sure how the the Waite / Henda forward and back will go though. The backline has to be in sync. Swapping and changing with blokes who probably havent sat in one backline meeting all year surely isnt the go. I would settle the backline as soon as possible and stick with it as long as we can.

Thornton isnt really in my 22 with all players on the list fit and playing at or near their best but at the moment he has done nothing wrong to be replaced and aided by a change in Carltons game style has become quite useful.

Will be enjoyable watching the way team selections unfold over the next month. Watching if the MC risk compromising things that are working for us extremely well now in a bid to find a formula that is even better.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:54 pm 
Wayne Johnston

No Changes

Hoops is the sub

Jetta the sub for Sydney

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:10 pm 
Rod McGregor

Anyone know of a stream they could PM me?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

club29 wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Opinion.

The counterview is that the systems and structures you are referring to can't be maintained against an opponent of Collingwood's quality for 4 quarters under the current interchange rules, which is a large part of the reason Collingwood outscores everyone so comprehensively in the last quarter. In essence, it does become a game of kick to kick. Win the ball. Kick it long. Play on, kick it long again.

In a finals atmosphere where the intensity level is so much higher, it seems likely to me that the kick to kick could start as early as mid-way through the 3rd because a lot of petrol tickets will be spent early. I think you need to consider the possibility that our mids won't be able to cover the ground to take the heat of the ball in the second half, and the three-on-one you thought you were going to have is actually Dawes one-out.

It we don't have the right bodies in the back 6 to mitigate that contigency, then maybe we need to start settling a different back 6 now. Because footy has always been a game of inches and the 3 cms you are dismissing as theoretically irrelevant are a reasonable chance to cost us a flag.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:41 pm 
Wayne Johnston

nightcrawler wrote:
club29 wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Opinion.

The counterview is that the systems and structures you are referring to can't be maintained against an opponent of Collingwood's quality for 4 quarters under the current interchange rules, which is a large part of the reason Collingwood outscores everyone so comprehensively in the last quarter. In essence, it does become a game of kick to kick. Win the ball. Kick it long. Play on, kick it long again.

In a finals atmosphere where the intensity level is so much higher, it seems likely to me that the kick to kick could start as early as mid-way through the 3rd because a lot of petrol tickets will be spent early. I think you need to consider the possibility that our mids won't be able to cover the ground to take the heat of the ball in the second half, and the three-on-one you thought you were going to have is actually Dawes one-out.

It we don't have the right bodies in the back 6 to mitigate that contigency, then maybe we need to start settling a different back 6 now. Because footy has always been a game of inches and the 3 cms you are dismissing as theoretically irrelevant are a reasonable chance to cost us a flag.

Great points. In finals things do change and the fourth quarter stuff you speak of does sound true which is why we see Hampson forward alot in the last. Thornton on Dawes could cause problems in the last in which case we could possible go to Rexy's idea of shifting Waite/Henda back.
Hopefully we keep our selections with extra running players so we can keep the heat on the ball longer. That is why i am likeing walkers role so much. He is like a bonus sub for us in the last and can easily be switched on ball to give us some extra legs.

Interesting stuff that will fun to watch unfold.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 289 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15