Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:11 am 
Bruce Doull

I was annoyed Cincotta didn't get a game last night too.

are our reserves playing this weekend?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:22 am 
Wayne Johnston

According to the VFL site:

14.04. 19:05
Carlton Blues 2
Richmond Tigers 2

At the MCG !!

Carlton website says Ikon Park !

Last edited by chubbyruss on Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:29 am 
Bruce Doull

Thanks mate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 11:59 am 
Harry Vallence

St Kilda and Carlton were on 16 points after 5 rounds last year. Collingwood , Richmond and Western Bulldogs who all played finals were on 8. Perspective.
Its early days. Not time to panic. Sydney have lost their last 2 matches. Geelong is 1-3.

Our defense has held up really well all year but wasn't great last night. We were missing 2 guys from the week before but I would have liked our system
to stand up with the "next man up" philosophy. But unfortunately we don't bat deep enough. We were playing Kennedy at half back and Plowman......yuk.
Ultimately its impossible for the backs to stop anything when the opposition are are scoring 6 or 7 goals from clearances to half time.
Our midfielders were no good last night and have struggled all year. Hands are not clean at all. We need to fix that quick smart...and perhaps have a rethink on the bombing the ball inside 50 to a contest. When we are not at our best our small forwards tend to stand out for being so poor. We seldom win a crumb inside 50. Im not sure who is coaching the smalls but how can you bomb it inside 50 time after time after time and not have the smalls winning some ball off hands? Its a glaring weakness that gets exposed on our bad nights at the office.
Plenty to work on than. Its a long season.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:03 pm 
Bruce Doull

Having the 2 defenders out didn't help at all but I think we also really missed Owies in the forward line.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 1:34 pm 
Bruce Doull

This is gonna be ugly

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:09 pm 
Garry Crane

out under 12 game plan and in quick players once again will coaching panel do something different .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:24 pm 
Harry Vallence

I don’t Voss will overreact at selection

McGovern for Plowman is a no brainer
I would bring in Carroll for Jack ao we have more run
Honey needs to go out but for who? Do we bring in Dow or give Binns or Cincotta a go

Whatever we do we need to add to our run. Docherty Williams Boyd Cuningham Philp Cottrell are bigger loses than many realise for this very reason

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:33 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

So I understand that those who thought Fisher was back to his best last week with 0 tackles today have a different view.

4 crap games. I good quarter in rnd 2 and 2 ok quarters rnd 4, and after round 5 he’s played 100 games.

He hasn’t got physical presence especially for Finals like games, can’t lay a tackle yet we know he is still elusive with a good side step, but he’s also still not a quick small.

Have read of the post match thread and this one. Most shoot the easy targets, the low lying fruits, whether they are young or just not cut for the game, based on what they see on TV, and no idea what role Vossy and Hansen want them to play.

It’s the established players who were at fault last night.

I had best seats in the house, and I saw a lot of weak hearted efforts and NO method. Forwards were not to blame imo…..Fisher played HHF. He wasn’t really there to help forwardline.

That’s enough of a hint where the problem lies. Their smalls were solid at the contest, attacked the ball and ran their guts out taking on the opponent ahead of them. Ours didnt.

As for playing ‘our brand of footy’ can someone tell me what that is? Seriously.

Cowan Hollands Durdin Honey Motlop are the kids. They are not to blame for what happened in the midfield and connection with the backline. Coaching issue, not an list issue.

I thought Hollands and Acres were in the game all game by being in the right places.

Lazy midfield group. Cerra and Walsh gave us some run as did Saad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:41 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FarmerBlue wrote:
I don’t Voss will overreact at selection

McGovern for Plowman is a no brainer
I would bring in Carroll for Jack ao we have more run
Honey needs to go out but for who? Do we bring in Dow or give Binns or Cincotta a go

Whatever we do we need to add to our run. Docherty Williams Boyd Cuningham Philp Cottrell are bigger loses than many realise for this very reason

I read a previous post of yours Farmer.
This post doesn’t correlate with what you said that you normally don’t say.

Fisher is given immunity again. FMD. He’s no better than SPS or Stocker or Setterfield imo.
He’s no better than the 5 kids who played last night and yet to play 20 games, and you mention the players missing who can help with speed but you dont drop players who lack speed.

Each to their own, but we are carrying players with experience who aren’t helping the cause of the kids let alone the team.

The kids are easy targets. Coaches give them roles they can perform, and looked to be in the right places to me when we lost possession and control further up the ground. They have development ahead of them, and their selection is part of their development, and have upside.

If you can’t change the people, change the people. Same old same old.

Cincotta should have replaced Doc we need his run to help out Saad

Gov for Plowman no need to explain

Dow for Fisher. At least Dow can add to midfield mix and is quicker. Sent a message.

I’m at airport so I’m just thinking about what I just experienced.

I’ve seen the replay too, looking for clues

Last edited by bondiblue on Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:46 pm 
Robert Walls

We were absolutely putrid last night and I have pretty much zero confidence that we can beat the Saints right now based on exposed form and our recent record against them in critical games.

That being said, there are a few things that should work in our favour for this week's game:

- We have a 10 day break vs the Saints' 7 (thanks CK :wink: ) day break and they should be coming off a bruising encounter with Collingwood.
- Following on from the above, this should provide a better chance for Gov and Saad to recover from their injuries, Walsh to get over his return match soreness and others to sort out niggles.
- The game is at Docklands, it suits our tall marking targets and we play our best footy there. I know that the Saints also play well there, but it certainly doesn't harm our chances.
- We have now had our early season deflating shitshow of a performance to bring us back to reality (aka. Gold Coast game last year) and this should sting the playing group into action. We never played 2 shockers in a row last season and tended to bounce back well the week following a poor loss.
- The way Adelaide exposed us last night *SHOULD* force the selection committee and the coaching panel to make significant changes going into this week's game. If it is blatantly obvious to the supporter base that things aren't working with our current structure, then surely the club must be ready to pull the trigger on the required changes? I know it is hopeful more than anything, but everyone can see that change is required.

If we can manage to get over the line against the Saints and have a good win against a very average West Coast the following week in the West, we will go into the next block of tough games against Lions, Dogs (both at Docklands) and then the Pies and Dees (at the MCG) with a 5-1-1 record from 7 games, which would be a great base to work from. The fixture from that point on really opens up for us to make a good run home.

Lose next week and we will well and truly be back in the pack.... I think we will sneak over the line in a tough contest. Blues by 13 points.

Last edited by Mil Hanna on Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:53 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mil Hanna wrote:
- We have a 10 day break vs the Saints' 6 day break

We have 10, they have 7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:53 pm 
Craig Bradley

Mil Hanna wrote:
We were absolutely putrid last night and I have pretty much zero confidence that we can beat the Saints right now based on exposed form and our recent record against them in critical games.

That being said, there are a few things that should work in our favour for this week's game:

- We have a 10 day break vs the Saints' 6 day break and they should be coming off a bruising encounter with Collingwood.
- Following on from the above, this should provide a better chance for Gov and Saad to recover from their injuries, Walsh to get over his return match soreness and others to sort out niggles.
- The game is at Docklands, it suits our tall marking targets and we play our best footy there. I know that the Saints also play well there, but it certainly doesn't harm our chances.
- We have now had our early season deflating shitshow of a performance to bring us back to reality (aka. Gold Coast game last year) and this should sting the playing group into action. We never played 2 shockers in a row last season and tended to bounce back well the week following a poor loss.
- The way Adelaide exposed us last night *SHOULD* force the selection committee and the coaching panel to make significant changes going into this week's game. If it is blatantly obvious to the supporter base that things aren't working with our current structure, then surely the club must be ready to pull the trigger on the required changes? I know it is hopeful more than anything, but everyone can see that change is required.

If we can manage to get over the line against the Saints and have a good win against a very average West Coast the following week in the West, we will go into the next block of tough games against Lions, Dogs (both at Docklands) and then the Pies and Dees (at the MCG) with a 5-1-1 record from 7 games, which would be a great base to work from. The fixture from that point on really opens up for us to make a good run home.

Lose next week and we will well and truly be back in the pack.... I think we will sneak over the line in a tough contest. Blues by 13 points.

Very good Mil . Points well made . Very well made . No good losing our shit after one loss . Calm and reasoned . Reckon the magoo show tonight will be very interesting . Who's gonna put there hand up ?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:56 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mickstar wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:

- We have a 10 day break vs the Saints' 6 day break and they should be coming off a bruising encounter with Collingwood.

Very good Mil . Points well made . Very well made . No good losing our shit after one loss . Calm and reasoned . Reckon the magoo show tonight will be very interesting . Who's gonna put there hand up ?

Yep it was a good post. I like the point about us not playing 2 poor games in a row...it's one thing Voss has brought to us.

Some of the wrist slashing post game has been way OTT. You're not going to win every game you play - especially when your first ruck gets subbed out in Q1. I think people are underestimating the effect the loss of Pitto had on us actually

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:58 pm 
Robert Walls

CK95 wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:

We have 10, they have 7

Well, I can't be 100% right, 100% of the time. :wink:

I thought our game was on Saturday next week, but that still wouldn't make me right!! :oops:

Time to edit my post.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

All good man

Either way we're going to win it by 140 points

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:03 pm 
Robert Walls

CK95 wrote:
All good man

Either way we're going to win it by 140 points

I think we will get out to a 140pt lead, only for the Saints to kick some junk time goals and claw it back to a 13pt advantage. Should be a spectacle.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:14 pm 
Geoff Southby

Effes wrote:
No doubt Carlton will struggle to move the ball against STK.

Jack Steele returns for STK.

I forgot the other STK who will return; he loves playing Carlton.

MEMBREY.

For the love of god, I don't care who is injured, please do not play Plowman on him.

Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 3:45 pm 
Harry Vallence

Too many unknowns at this point.

Will Pittonet need to miss? Will McGovern and Saad be right?

Plowman, Silvagni, Fisher, Cowan, Honey in the gun to varying degrees otherwise.

All going well on the injury front, McGovern and Cincotta for Plowman and Cowan are pretty set. I'd prefer LOB to Fisher at this point, but well aware I'd be significantly outvoted on that one. After last night's woeful lack of ability to spread from the contest, I think its as good a priority as any.

Would like to see Martin back in as the forward line looks very one-dimensional at the moment, but not sure you can bring him straight back in without reserves time either. Still probably offers more than Honey, and no Owies makes it a bit of a desperation call. Guess the middle ground call is Fisher plays small forward, we stop wasting our time with him further up the ground.

If Gov isn't right, I thought JSOS offered a bit down back in his role. It's not working in the current forward setup for him, and I'd prefer him down there to Plowman as a stop gap measure for a week.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2023 4:02 pm 
Laurie Kerr

CK95 wrote:
Mil Hanna wrote:

We have 10, they have 7

Can anyone recall a game where we had this type of advantage and we actually ran over the top of a team ? It always seems to work the opposite way with us

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 306 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 16  Next