Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:26 pm 
Harry Vallence

Nick wrote:
I also like the automatic membership renewal idea that Essendon* and Bulldogs currently have in place every season.

You'd be amazed how many border line supporters don't sign up because they can't be bothered, we have to make an effort to renew our membership but if we just had automatic renewal then those who don't want to be members will have to call up the club and ask them to cancel, that way a lot of border line members won't bother and it will work in our favour rather than against us.

Yup. Agree entirely. Easy to do, helps bring in the revenue earlier, and will probably marginally increase our retention rates.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 7:35 pm 
Harry Vallence

Oh, and speaking as an interstater, I love Jarusa's interstate membership idea. It might also be used as a point of differentiation between say a blue membership and an interstate membership (ie a membership that would count towards the membership figures).

I've been a blue member for a while, and it would add enough value for me to upgrade.

Also, there are a lot of membership packages. I wonder whether it is worth customising membership letters each year.

Something along the lines of:

"Dear member,

Thank you for your Blue Membership last year, your support was greatly appreciated. We'd like to make you aware of our [insert appropriate package here and then go on to talk about the advantages over the previous package]."

It should be relatively easy to do it as a mail merge from a database if designed correctly (and if it isn't easy it should be covered as part of the clubs review now and fixed).

If if was a soft sell, and targetted correctly, it just might work, especially in combination with ideas like Jarusa's to improve the value of other memberships. The Blue membership should really be a way of registering members, delivering some value, so that upselling could occur in the future. At the moment the Blue membership is esssentially a donation to the club.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:24 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Given the amount of players on the list, I don't think it's asking too much to have a senior player in the Carlton Shop every afternoon for a couple of hours.

To have the knowledge that you could walk in to the store, be served by someone who could sign what you just purchased immediately would get a few more punters through the door.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:16 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Grofunger-great minds

Not so much a money making scheme but my F-I-L is a Kangas sicko and a few years ago joined their Vice-Presidents club
Cost around $5-6000. Before he signed he got visited by Graham Osborne who was in admin and they charmed him into coughing up. Once he signed on, most correspondence was by email or letter. Most things they offered involved more payment. He stoped paying after the 2nd year.
My point being, if the club is going to chase the $5-15k sponsors they need to look after them after they have signed and paid. These guys want to feel they are important to the club and are making a contribution. They should have regular phone or face to face contact with a director or senior admin person and throw in some freebies. Everyone loves freebies. They don't even have to be worth much. Exclusive meetings with the coach, captain, club legends , Just as important as signing these guys this year is re-signing them next year and the year after that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:40 pm 
Bruce Doull

MonstaBlue wrote:
Auction off a day in the coaches box every week???

!

No interest....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:43 pm 
Trevor Keogh

At the annual pre-season family day they could set up a special stand where you can have your photo taken with your favourite Carlton player or one of our premiership cups in front of a mock up of the Carlton logo or Princes Park entrance. Sell them for $25 each for adults. Developed on the spot and put it in a folder with Princes Park and the year on the back and where applicable signed by the player. Advise people that they should book for their photo when they arrive so you can organise the players. You could possibly sell 1000 or more prints in that one afternoon of favourite players. You could even sell a special Carlton team photo with the supporter or supporters in the case of a family or group digitally included into the offical Carlton AFL team photo for the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:57 pm 
Harry Vallence

Send out membership packages to local football clubs. Get the local clubs to offer AFL membership with the local club, featuring the club. Call it an honourary affiliate club, no additional costs just something linking suburban footy with the AFL or AFL specific club.

Leagues such as the SFL, EDFL, Pennisula, etc etc could be market leagues,. And club with high junior playing numbers also.

Local clubs could benefit , possibly by an increase number of club memberships sold, just as the AFL/clubs would get direct access to adding numbers,at worst encouraging the on /off member to buy there membership, whilst being in the local eye.

In return the club could offer the local participating suburban club a currently listed player who could make a one off appearance at the club for a game/drink after match.

Anyway what would i know? Grass roots football is dead or is it ?? :idea: :idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:31 pm 
John James

Is there a way of getting overseas fansites interested in us, with a view to buying merchandise or blue memberships?

For example we could put the bluetube link of Eddies goal on to the New York Jets website and maybe create some curiosty. If we could get .001% of New Yorkers to buy a Carlton footy jumper it would have to be a good result for the club.

I'm sure there are better ways of doing this, and I'm sure it has been mentioned about Irish boys, and selling carlton jumpers in Cork.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:05 am 
Harry Vallence

I really like the idea that has been suggested on numerous occasions about the club developing its own website outside of the telstra run template as Essendon* has done but with much more personal interaction more in the lines of a Princess Park online.

This website could serve as an electric communication between all facets of the club (unlike the broad passive and stagnet template used in AFL site) and member/supporters almost like a cyber Princess Park incorporating personally frequented passive and live forum/chat interaction between all sectors of the club ie administration, marketing, the playing group, the coaching group and even as has been the case here members of the board.

Such a level of accessibility will ensure a frequent level of visits between the club and all its supporters/members enabling both further revenue opportunities and a more efficient means of handling administrative inquiries.

Once you have an audience there is no reason why you could not include many additional levels of online revenue opportunities.
For example you could sell sponsorships for live and passive forums as well as the online participation of each of the participating players, coaching staff and even board members etc.

You could sell online advertising exposure both on longterm or opportunistic short term basis as opportunities and advertiser needs arise enabling exposure to many smaller companies that otherwise could not afford the more traditional sponsorship methods and beyond the traditional time limits. Some of these in the longterm may even be turned into more lucrative traditional sponsors .

You could re-introduce the saver deal card that used to be given out with memberships but in the form of a live online catalog with web links to the participant websites and the ability to keep adding unlike the traditional printed versions.

It would certainly ensure a busier marketing department and help streamline the club member administrative process

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:15 am 
Bert Deacon

DenimUndies wrote:
I really like the idea that has been suggested on numerous occasions about the club developing its own website outside of the telstra run template as Essendon* has done but with much more personal interaction more in the lines of a Princess Park online.

This website could serve as an electric communication between all facets of the club (unlike the broad passive and stagnet template used in AFL site) and member/supporters almost like a cyber Princess Park incorporating personally frequented passive and live forum/chat interaction between all sectors of the club ie administration, marketing, the playing group, the coaching group and even as has been the case here members of the board.

Such a level of accessibility will ensure a frequent level of visits between the club and all its supporters/members enabling both further revenue opportunities and a more efficient means of handling administrative inquiries.

Once you have an audience there is no reason why you could not include many additional levels of online revenue opportunities.
For example you could sell sponsorships for live and passive forums as well as the online participation of each of the participating players, coaching staff and even board members etc.

You could sell online advertising exposure both on longterm or opportunistic short term basis as opportunities and advertiser needs arise enabling exposure to many smaller companies that otherwise could not afford the more traditional sponsorship methods and beyond the traditional time limits. Some of these in the longterm may even be turned into more lucrative traditional sponsors .

You could re-introduce the saver deal card that used to be given out with memberships but in the form of a live online catalog with web links to the participant websites and the ability to keep adding unlike the traditional printed versions.

It would certainly ensure a busier marketing department and help streamline the club member administrative process

I agree we should run our own website. Its the present and the future. We should also look into an alliance with a premier league club as Ennendon have done with Manu U. Although i would like it to be Liverpool, Chelsea are known as the Blues (even though its not navy blue). Ironically they are owned by one of the worlds wealthiest men. O rmaybe even Arsenal

I think i have mentioned this before but the club needs to develop a package for you people in the 18-35 age group like the VRC have done with the spring carnival. Some sort of packaged event that includes a night at the footy followed by something at the social club with a good DJ attended by a few of ther players could be a winner.

A melb uni link has been mentioned on another thread. Im not sure what sort of alliance could be developed there but given there are 8000 Interntional students there might be an opportunity for the club here to do something. The student union has to selll its own memberships now so maybe the club could package a deal with them?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

A variation on an earlier memorabilia idea would be to have a limited edition run of 300 numbered prints autographed by all our 300 game players - Doulll, Nicholls, Silvagni and Bradley.

Similar to the way they flog stuff on Channel 9 during the cricket.

We've got a brilliant history so to really punch out some high quality sports memorabilia might be a good earner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Waht's the take-up rate on sports memorabilia? I never hear of how many in their limited editions they get left with.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:48 pm 
Bruce Comben

Mrs Caz wrote:
Waht's the take-up rate on sports memorabilia? I never hear of how many in their limited editions they get left with.

The take up rate on the cricket stuff is VERY high (often selling out). Of course, they have the advantage of being able to sell their stuff over the course of five days, so it's only natural this would be the case.

You couldn't do the same thing over a footy telecast, where the only practical time to advertise would be at half time. It was, for instance, at half time where each club got the chance to advertise their "Team of the Century" prints (as well as the Footy Show).

It would therefore be very heavily incumbent upon the club's website to attractively package these limited editions to make them successful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

Looking at the online Carlton Store - there always seems to be memorabillia left that has to go on sale - so not sure of the demand for it at club level - Ebay seems to be the place most people go for their memorabillia

There are Farewell to Optus Oval prints still available at a reduced price from the carlton store online.

I guess though with improved marketing and choice of memorabillia sales could increase.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:26 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Thanks Beermat.

wasthesonofapreacherman sent me his thoughts on merchandising:
Quote:
A major overhaul in the merchandising area is needed. The quality of the merchandise available is very, very poor. I've purchased a t-shirt in the past for the gym that's fallen to bits virtually upon washing.

Are we locked into merchandising contracts?

Look at all the other professional leagues in the world and how much more superior their products are. Yes they have far better global reach due to many factors, but that is no excuse for stocking poorly made and designed merchandise. We cross many demographics in our supporter base, from the not so fortunate to the very wealthy. I do not think it's out of the question that young professionals like myself would pay considerably more to sport about the place on the occasion in "something" Carlton.

Melbourne is the fashion capital of the world after all, does it not make sense to get a local manufacturer/designer onboard to produce some quality supporter gear. Look at the new Australian one-day team outfit, or the Australian soccer team uniforms and tell me they are not leagues ahead since signing with Adidas. Without any bias whatseover we have the cleverist emblem in the competition, hence the design is done. I like plain t-shirts and polos when casually dressed, but the t-shirt designs we have are far too over-the-top with the messy print that's trying to be contemporary. The polo's we have use very poor quality material, and the embroidery on the logo leaves a lot to be desired.

Is it out of the question to have something as well made as say the major manufacturers like Fred Perry, Ralph Lauren, Gant, etc. All we need in this regard is a good cut, a minimalist design, a quality weave/material, and the logo embroidered properly. This is only one example, I'm sure collectively we could come up with better designs, heck they could have a competition (like the one we didn't for the alternative guernsey) for designs for new merchandise and we could all vote online?

I just got back from the US and purchased a couple of newer fitted baseball caps as I'm a bit of Mets fan. AUD50 will fetch you a pure wool quality fitted cap with embroidery you'd never find on one of ours. I actually like the design of the Carlton tie, but again it's polyester! The scarves in the US are pure wool, not 100% cotton which you'd only find amongst the AFL now. Their t-shirts and jumpers are fantastic quality material with good stitching. It's the same if you compared the English Premier League apparel you get nowadays that seems to be worn regularly by youths on a daily basis, and moreso by everyone on match days.

On a lesser note, I've been going into the Carlton Shop every fortnight for 4 months to get a mug for my morning coffees (to spite the others in the office) and constantly get the same answer? Yes it's only a mug, but it typifies how badly managed the merchandise area is - they don't have a supplier?

I agree with him about a lot. The prints on t-shirts are very busy and don't seem to have any relevance to the "class" I associate with the Carlton brand. K.I.S.S.!!!

And I've been trying for a new mug for 6 months ever since some eejit at work broke mine. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Mrs Caz wrote:
Thanks Beermat.

wasthesonofapreacherman sent me his thoughts on merchandising:
Quote:
A major overhaul in the merchandising area is needed. The quality of the merchandise available is very, very poor. I've purchased a t-shirt in the past for the gym that's fallen to bits virtually upon washing.

Are we locked into merchandising contracts?

Look at all the other professional leagues in the world and how much more superior their products are. Yes they have far better global reach due to many factors, but that is no excuse for stocking poorly made and designed merchandise. We cross many demographics in our supporter base, from the not so fortunate to the very wealthy. I do not think it's out of the question that young professionals like myself would pay considerably more to sport about the place on the occasion in "something" Carlton.

Melbourne is the fashion capital of the world after all, does it not make sense to get a local manufacturer/designer onboard to produce some quality supporter gear. Look at the new Australian one-day team outfit, or the Australian soccer team uniforms and tell me they are not leagues ahead since signing with Adidas. Without any bias whatseover we have the cleverist emblem in the competition, hence the design is done. I like plain t-shirts and polos when casually dressed, but the t-shirt designs we have are far too over-the-top with the messy print that's trying to be contemporary. The polo's we have use very poor quality material, and the embroidery on the logo leaves a lot to be desired.

Is it out of the question to have something as well made as say the major manufacturers like Fred Perry, Ralph Lauren, Gant, etc. All we need in this regard is a good cut, a minimalist design, a quality weave/material, and the logo embroidered properly. This is only one example, I'm sure collectively we could come up with better designs, heck they could have a competition (like the one we didn't for the alternative guernsey) for designs for new merchandise and we could all vote online?

I just got back from the US and purchased a couple of newer fitted baseball caps as I'm a bit of Mets fan. AUD50 will fetch you a pure wool quality fitted cap with embroidery you'd never find on one of ours. I actually like the design of the Carlton tie, but again it's polyester! The scarves in the US are pure wool, not 100% cotton which you'd only find amongst the AFL now. Their t-shirts and jumpers are fantastic quality material with good stitching. It's the same if you compared the English Premier League apparel you get nowadays that seems to be worn regularly by youths on a daily basis, and moreso by everyone on match days.

On a lesser note, I've been going into the Carlton Shop every fortnight for 4 months to get a mug for my morning coffees (to spite the others in the office) and constantly get the same answer? Yes it's only a mug, but it typifies how badly managed the merchandise area is - they don't have a supplier?

I agree with him about a lot. The prints on t-shirts are very busy and don't seem to have any relevance to the "class" I associate with the Carlton brand. K.I.S.S.!!!

And I've been trying for a new mug for 6 months ever since some eejit at work broke mine. :x

agreed - at the risk of turning this into a bitching thread - bought all new pink stuff for the baby - bunny rug - jump suit etc and washed it and SOOOOOOOO much dye ran that now all the white parts with the CFC logo and writing etc are blended into the pink so it just looks like a pink mesh of nothing - i know ink/dye runs on lots of things but this was crazy !

I buy a hell of a lot of merchandise anyway but i agree that improved quality would see a lot more merchandise sold.

A baseball style fitted cap(no adjustment thing and no gap at the back)with the logo on it ala NY yankees would sell so well.

So would Mugs

So would good quality Polos like the ralph lauren ones - replace the pony with the CFC logo done - simplistic , smart and stylish

There are loads of opportunitities within our merchandise and a lot of it currently is tacky. We do have the best logo and simple is better so many things would look great - plain navy blue - maybe a splash of white if done well depending on the product and then the logo embriodered properly onto the merchandise

( GET RID OF FUBU ! )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:55 pm 
Laurie Kerr

grrofunger wrote:
agreed - at the risk of turning this into a bitching thread - bought all new pink stuff for the baby - bunny rug - jump suit etc and washed it and SOOOOOOOO much dye ran that now all the white parts with the CFC logo and writing etc are blended into the pink so it just looks like a pink mesh of nothing - i know ink/dye runs on lots of things but this was crazy !

OT: apparently if you wash new things in salt instead of soap it fixes the dye better to the fabric.

YMMV

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:57 pm 
Bruce Doull

bluetongue wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

OT: apparently if you wash new things in salt instead of soap it fixes the dye better to the fabric.

YMMV

Thanks for the tip :wink:

( this was a ridiculous amount of dye though )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:11 pm 
Harry Vallence

grrofunger wrote:
bluetongue wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

YMMV

There's also a fantastic product call "Run Away" which can save you from dye running disasters. Put your clothes in a bucket of hot water mixed with this stuff and you'll get everything pretty much back to normal.

:idea:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

Keyser Soze wrote:
grrofunger wrote:
bluetongue wrote:
grrofunger wrote:

YMMV

There's also a fantastic product call "Run Away" which can save you from dye running disasters. Put your clothes in a bucket of hot water mixed with this stuff and you'll get everything pretty much back to normal.

:idea:

Where can I get this from Keyser?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 153 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next