Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 118  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2020
PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:55 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
SoS has put us in a great position, so hopefully Austin can capitalise.
Let's go shopping ...... :lol: :smoking:
Just remember we will need to load up some of our youngsters as well but that should not be an issue! :clap:

what do you mean by " load up some of our youngsters"?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh wrote:
I get all that
Have you look at what Williams produced this year
He had an awesome final series in 2019 as a mid but the number of impact games as a mid is extremely low
The sample size as a mid is too small

I do believe he is the type of player we need

Again have you looked at how he played this year

Sorry, I missed this line.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:58 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

bondiblue wrote:
keogh wrote:
I get all that
Have you look at what Williams produced this year
He had an awesome final series in 2019 as a mid but the number of impact games as a mid is extremely low
The sample size as a mid is too small

I do believe he is the type of player we need

Again have you looked at how he played this year

Sorry, I missed this line.

...and are you ok with martin too as the type we need...you just want him to run from contest to contest for longer?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:00 am 
Stephen Kernahan

SurreyBlue wrote:
Just remember we will need to load up some of our youngsters as well but that should not be an issue! :clap:

Well, I half agree Surrey. SOS has put us in a great position with our talls but he's missed the mark with our mids. We've used a bucketload of first round picks on midfielders including 3 top 10 picks and none can get close to consistently performing in the midfield for us apart from Walsh.
Hopefully Austin can do better.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:15 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Well, I half agree Surrey. SOS has put us in a great position with our talls but he's missed the mark with our mids. We've used a bucketload of first round picks on midfielders including 3 top 10 picks and none can get close to consistently performing in the midfield for us apart from Walsh.

Correct, that's why we are trying to compensate now with Williams etc. One more , such as Viney, in addition to Williams would be a dream really.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:17 am 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:
Wow from what I've been told be prepared for some possible surprises in the next couple months

Hopefully good surprises, not ones involving my favorite players leaving! :yikes:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

keogh suggested

Williams $900K over 5 years, its more like

$700 over 5 years = $3.5M (yes its millions, but not unusual for footballers)
$900 front loaded in year 1 (GWS can't match it)
Next 4 years = $650pa

13,000,000 - 650,000 = 12,350,000

Look at the last number...its like we haven't spent a thing and we are still at 95% Total player payment.

Martin is even cheaper...with $1M paid upfront of his 5 years $600K pa.
5 x 600,000 = $3M
$3M- $1M = $2M
$2M over 4 years is $500K pa

12,350,000 - 500,000 = 11,850,000

11,850,000 over 38 players is $311,842 each

Cripps has already been front loaded year after year over the past 3 years. :idea:
Gov was front loaded.... :idea: to get us to 95%

And that's not including the 10% banked ... so there's possibly another 5% (95%-100%) plus 5% (100%-105%):

$765,000 x 2 = $1,530,000 we have yet to spend for next year.

We have the money, a lot of it, and we have to spend it.

We can afford mistakes like Gov, who may come good, if he hear's the wrath of us supporters ... which he is.
But, we have to keep bringing in talent, but this time round, mature, hardened, experienced, high end talent.

There's no problem speculating in the State Leagues, for moneyball players, but we have to keep bringing in better players than the existing, and so on....and lucky for us, we can afford it.

So, don't worry so much about the $ coz we have them.

There's no way we are using our pick 7, or 27 on Fisher and Parlington, so we have to use them wisely for proven better players.

Aren't we the lucky ones the market sees us as a team on the rise: a Destination club. Regardless of what keogh's percepion is and what, Robbo, wahtely or Tom Brown say about our year and our current situation.

There's good reason why players like Kelly, Merrett, Couch, Viney are used in the same sentence as carlton. Smell the Blue Roses babeeeeee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:24 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Paddycripps wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Correct, that's why we are trying to compensate now with Williams etc. One more , such as Viney, in addition to Williams would be a dream really.

Compensate?

Nah, they are coming to us via their managers. The apt word would be "add" to the current list, not compensate imo.

And, get use to it ... listen... you can hear the phones ringing at Princes Park

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:27 am 
Ken Hunter

bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Sorry for the late reply Bondi - had to get on a call - bloody work. :lol:

I mean - we will need to give some cash to our youngsters coming out of contract. Nothing else sinister.... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:29 am 
Craig Bradley

If you pay big money for anything you want it to be bloody good
Unlike most of you I attended a game this year the Hawks game
After a good first quarter we were smashed because their midfield slaughtered us
As usual Cripps and Curnow were the loan rangers
Setterfield and Kennedy hardly touched it after quarter time. I think they had 5 possessions between them so Teague moves them out of the centre square. I’m not sure what possie Kennedy played but Setterfield was put on a wing where he was pantsed because he is too slow

The main problem Teague had was Walsh was having his worst game of his career. His entitled too because he is a ripper.
With Cuningham next to useless then getting injured it’s over to you JACK MARTIN
All of a sudden from being resting forward Teague is asking him to show something where the game is being lost
In the guts
He was pathetic

Guys Martin is your classically talented player who looks fantastic but he doesn’t deliver enough for his price
He had it easy at the GC. Now the coach is asking him for a greater effort with finals on the line
He couldn’t handle the heat. He has had it too easy

For mine besides squibbing it too much he is clearly not fit enough. Needs a rocket up his bum.

As for Williams he did 75% of his work this year in the back half
Next year you would like a lot more than 17 possessions a game and 2 goals a season on 850000
Can he handle the heat because on that wage you don’t want him rebounding off HB all the time

The Cazz and I have disagreed on most things but I agree 100% on what he said.
Ports mids go 100% last night
All of them
All 12 to 16 of them
No passengers
That’s why they finished top
HE WATCHED ANOTHER TEAM

Be careful what you pay for

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:32 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

SurreyBlue wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

Sorry for the late reply Bondi - had to get on a call - bloody work. :lol:

I mean - we will need to give some cash to our youngsters coming out of contract. Nothing else sinister.... :wink:

Don't work too hard surrey.

We have plenty of cash.

We will do so for a long time whilst we are in a position to keep front loading to meet our 95% year after year, till we get it to 105% again and thereafter its all about good management. We are lucky we are a Victorian club and Victorian recruits are already at home.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:34 am 
Craig Bradley

bondiblue wrote:
keogh suggested

Williams $900K over 5 years, its more like

$700 over 5 years = $3.5M (yes its millions, but not unusual for footballers)
$900 front loaded in year 1 (GWS can't match it)
Next 4 years = $650pa

13,000,000 - 650,000 = 12,350,000

Look at the last number...its like we haven't spent a thing and we are still at 95% Total player payment.

Martin is even cheaper...with $1M paid upfront of his 5 years $600K pa.
5 x 600,000 = $3M
$3M- $1M = $2M
$2M over 4 years is $500K pa

12,350,000 - 500,000 = 11,850,000

11,850,000 over 38 players is $311,842 each

Cripps has already been front loaded year after year over the past 3 years. :idea:
Gov was front loaded.... :idea: to get us to 95%

And that's not including the 10% banked ... so there's possibly another 5% (95%-100%) plus 5% (100%-105%):

$765,000 x 2 = $1,530,000 we have yet to spend for next year.

We have the money, a lot of it, and we have to spend it.

We can afford mistakes like Gov, who may come good, if he hear's the wrath of us supporters ... which he is.
But, we have to keep bringing in talent, but this time round, mature, hardened, experienced, high end talent.

There's no problem speculating in the State Leagues, for moneyball players, but we have to keep bringing in better players than the existing, and so on....and lucky for us, we can afford it.

So, don't worry so much about the $ coz we have them.

There's no way we are using our pick 7, or 27 on Fisher and Parlington, so we have to use them wisely for proven better players.

Aren't we the lucky ones the market sees us as a team on the rise: a Destination club. Regardless of what keogh's percepion is and what, Robbo, wahtely or Tom Brown say about our year and our current situation.

There's good reason why players like Kelly, Merrett, Couch, Viney are used in the same sentence as carlton. Smell the Blue Roses babeeeeee

That doesn’t describe a destination club. It’s a broken ATM.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:38 am 
Ken Hunter

Blue Vain wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:

I do agree but I haven't given up hope just yet BV. We need to look at these guys within some decent rotations and with more support. Next year they must be exposed with the inside players up and running. This is the reason Viney would also be a huge get for us, he'll hopefully show them the way. Big year coming up. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:12 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

THE CARLTON Football Club is pleased to announce the re-signing of 10 of its AFL players.

Marc Murphy, Ed Curnow and Levi Casboult have all inked new one-year deals to continue their careers at Ikon Park.

Defender Lachie Plowman has committed long-term, signing for three years to remain in the Navy Blue until at least the end of 2023, while fellow defenders Nic Newman and Caleb Marchbank have also committed to the Club for one and two years respectively.

Michael Gibbons has earned a promotion to the senior list for the 2021 season after two consistent years at the elite level.

First-round draft pick Sam Philp has penned a two-year contract extension, on top of the additional year he already had to run, while fellow first-year player and Round 12 debutant Josh Honey has earned a one-year rookie deal, as has Matthew Cottrell.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

https://twitter.com/TalkingCarlton/stat ... 5693931522
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/817610

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:23 pm 
Bruce Doull

No real surprises there (although 2 years for Marchbank seems a tad risky).

Kudos are in order for Gibbons and Cottrell though :thumbsup:

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:29 pm 
Craig Bradley

They obviously rank Philp

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:34 pm 
Geoff Southby

So that leaves Betts, Kennedy, Macreadie, Polson, Williamson, Phillips*, Owies* & Moore* without contracts (yet).

You’d reckon Williamson is safe, and Betts will probably sign on for 1 more year. The rest...?

Macreadie, Polson & Moore* should go, IMO. It’s hard to get a read on Phillips* & Owie*.

Kennedy would be stiff, but might be a casualty of reduced lists and lack of outside run.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:41 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:
So that leaves Betts, Kennedy, Macreadie, Polson, Williamson, Phillips*, Owies* & Moore* without contracts (yet).

You’d reckon Williamson is safe, and Betts will probably sign on for 1 more year. The rest...?

Macreadie, Polson & Moore* should go, IMO. It’s hard to get a read on Phillips* & Owie*.

Kennedy would be stiff, but might be a casualty of reduced lists and lack of outside run.

I think Kennedy should be kept as a forward

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2020 12:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:

I think Kennedy should be kept as a forward

Well, so far from the primary list we know that the following are gone:

1. Kreuzer
2. Simpson
3. Lang
4. O’Dwyer
5. B. Silvagni

Two of those list spots are effectively already taken (Gibbons & Williams).

Depending on list sizes next year, we may need to delist another 5. Who?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2341 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 118  Next