Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Jun 07, 2024 1:46 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:36 am 
Rod Ashman

Dodoro sold the farm for Stringer, Saad & Smith and was hailed a hero for launching them into Premiership contention.
But they didn’t make the 8.

If SOS wasn’t on holiday, either him or Shiel would have to fly up or down to meet.
I dare say, I’d rather be flown up to Noosa for a meeting than to Melb, where I will be living pretty soon anyway.

Sometimes, people just look for things to whinge about.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:37 am 
Stephen Kernahan

17th Premiership wrote:
If SOS wasn’t on holiday, either him or Shiel would have to fly up or down to meet.
I dare say, I’d rather be flown up to Noosa for a meeting than to Melb, where I will be living pretty soon anyway.

Sometimes, people just look for things to whinge about.

:lol: :donk:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:23 am 
Stephen Silvagni

You can only judge SOS on results and to date I give him 8/10.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:28 am 
Rod Ashman

toddkurnski wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:
Naughton and Richards over Dow and O'Brien? Nice footballers but I'm content.

Both defenders. One a tall defender.

Dow & OBrien midfielders & SOS apparently hasn’t drafted any of them...
Go figure...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:27 am 
Geoff Southby

doofdoof wrote:
toddkurnski wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:

Both defenders. One a tall defender.

Dow & OBrien midfielders & SOS apparently hasn’t drafted any of them...
Go figure...

Add to that Cunningham, SPS, Fisher and Polson.

But I agree with ColourMan, we are still short of 4-6 midfielders. 2-3 Mature and 2-3 kids. But we also had shortages all over the ground when he took over and they also needed to be addressed, however I am hoping he addresses the issues in the middle this year. And for creditability he needs to land a top mature age, but in saying that I am still happy to go to the draft for one more year and get a delisted player to help Crippa. Because 2 wins is not much currency when it comes to attracting top talent.

And Dow will easily be the best player out of the four mentioned by the recruiters, the kid is a gun.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:52 am 
Harry Vallence

Rexy wrote:
You can only judge SOS on results and to date I give him 8/10.

Correct. Judge him on results and not on opinions. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:31 am 
Ken Hunter

DocSherrin III wrote:

Colourman I can't say I am a fan of SOS but as the Dr has shown......and I concur, you can't have it both ways. You say we need midfielders and he picked two passing on a tall defender.

Regards Cazzesman

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:36 am 
Harry Vallence

ferdinand wrote:
I’d still love to know which picks brought laughter. I don’t think any of our top picks that are obvious busts yet.

I'd say this was pre SOS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

famousblueraincoat wrote:
ferdinand wrote:
I’d still love to know which picks brought laughter. I don’t think any of our top picks that are obvious busts yet.

Yep, wasn't it Boekhurst?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:48 am 
John Nicholls

The laughter being referred to at draft night was back in 2014 when we reached and selected Boekhurst at pick number 19, which we received along with Jaksch and Whiley) in a swap for our pick 7.

That selection had nothing to do with SOS - in fact he presided over that change from GWS' end!

If you want to have a stab at SOS, go for it.. but get your facts straight first.

SOS had the following selections in 2014:

4 (used on Jarrod Pickett)

6 (used on Caleb Marchbank)
7 (used on Paul Ahern)

We know where picks 4 and 6 ended up. Ahern did his knee twice and subsequently wound up at North Melbourne and debuted this year.

Collingwood had pick 5 and selected De Goey......... so SOS appears to have mis-fired on that one. If you want to criticize him - do it on that.

Anyway, play on.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:02 am 
Rod Ashman

The plan was always to get the key positions in place first because they take longer to come on and also there were some very good ones available at our first big draft under Bolton (we picked up Weitering, McKay & Charlie and Hipwood was in same cohort.
Since then, we’ve picked mids and traded in some additional young key backs in Marchbank & we also got Plowman & ruck prospect Phillips in the first year.
Having lost Gibbs and still looking thin in midfield w Murphy & Simpson getting older too, so yes we need more mids. Which is why we’re going to get Walsh & aim to bring in a mature gun midfielder like Shiel.
Plan seems pretty solid and we’re sticking to it pretty closely so far.
Not sure why the concern with SOS???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:05 am 
Ken Hunter

Great post Robert.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:39 am 
Harry Vallence

I recollect that Bootsma was also a bit of a reach at pick 22. Again, pre SOS.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:40 am 
Harry Vallence

DocSherrin III wrote:

They all had major question marks over O’Brien, don’t consider him anywhere near Top 10 worthy...

They all loved the other 3...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:54 am 
Bruce Doull

My only addition to this entire discussion is....SO?

Geez we’re in for a long two weeks.

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:56 am 
Harry Vallence

famousblueraincoat wrote:
ferdinand wrote:

Incorrect, from last year’s draft... plenty of posts at the time, I wasn’t the poster.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:26 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

People laugh at these things ? ... :grin:

"Truth, for the tyrants, is the most terrible and cruel of all bindings; it is like an incandescent iron falling across their chests. And it is even more agonizing than hot iron, for that only burns the flesh, while truth burns its way into the soul"     — Lauro Aguirre

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:33 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Riley Beveridge
‏ @RileyBev
19s19 seconds ago

Ciaran Byrne says he is undecided whether he returns to Australia, or cuts short his AFL career to remain in Ireland. @AFLcomau

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:43 am 
Ken Hunter

Makes a great chef.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:05 pm 
Harry Vallence

Cazzesman wrote:
DocSherrin III wrote:

Colourman I can't say I am a fan of SOS but as the Dr has shown......and I concur, you can't have it both ways. You say we need midfielders and he picked two passing on a tall defender.

Regards Cazzesman

The recruiters don’t rate O’Brien as a midfielder at all (or consider him a mid for that matter)... they were many, many, many better options... I won’t list them here...

At this stage, Cunningham hasn’t shown the ability to play as a mid at any level (TAC, VFL, AFL) yet SOS calls him a mid, that doesn’t make him a mid, not yet...

Meanwhile, the Pies drafted 2 players later in the same draft (2015) who played on Saturday, and look like playing in their midfield for a long time...

As for Richards, he played forward (kicking goals), played in the midfield (starting in the centre square by the end of the year)... they don’t look at him as a defender, they project him to become a gun midfielder who can can play back and forward.

As a direct comparison to O’Brien, apart from uncontested possessions, they consider Richards vastly, vastly superior in every way...

I never advocated drafting Naughton however he had a very good year, playing both forward and back.

BTW, they all love Dow!!!

As for SOS, a lot of his decisions are considered puzzling by others... certainly no hero worship like on this site :lol:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 91 ... 108  Next