Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:32 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 51  Next
 Post subject: Re: Injury Thread 2022
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:43 pm 
Rod Ashman

Are we committed to OMac for the year?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:45 pm 
Bob Chitty

DesEnglish wrote:
Are we committed to OMac for the year?

Yes but we already have a list spot available for the mid season draft and could open another one up by putting him on the LTI
Question is whether we can actually find someone any good to provide cover for the back half of the year

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:54 pm 
Craig Bradley

CK95 wrote:
You reckon? Without looking at the stats, it feels like we've had shocking injuries for at least the last 5 years running

I reckon Sayers should be looking at the best 3 performed clubs, injury fitness & rehab wise over that period, & target one of their high performance managers. Russell came with huge raps but his tenure has been a total disappointment. The latest thing being Mcgovern & MacDonald are well on their way in their recoveries, & then all of a suden, bam, seasons over.

If the new TV agreement comes with an increase in the soft cap, I’d be looking outside the AFL & go after someone that can build tackling machines.

Strong shoulders from every angle, grip like a jockey’s left hand & a chest that could double as student accommodation.

Sick to death of not even looking the business.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
You reckon? Without looking at the stats, it feels like we've had shocking injuries for at least the last 5 years running

I reckon Sayers should be looking at the best 3 performed clubs, injury fitness & rehab wise over that period, & target one of their high performance managers. Russell came with huge raps but his tenure has been a total disappointment. The latest thing being Mcgovern & MacDonald are well on their way in their recoveries, & then all of a suden, bam, seasons over.

CK, I just posted my thoughts on Players thread: Gov thread.

Gov has had soft tissue injuries every year since he was 19yo.
You didn't expect him to do another one this year? Have a reread of posts over preseason: Posters expected it.

OMac had back issues before he was delisted by Melb at 23yo and nearly 100 games.
Any wonder why he was delisted. We took a risk, but only rookie risk.
He broke down last year when we needed him most. Looks like the same injury has flared up again.

History tells you its not Russell.

3 years ago Melbourne's season was derailed with 17 operations over the summer. They were the walking wounded.
3 years later....Premiers.

Worth having a look at what they did, but I tell you alot of the brittle players were discarded, or not selected.
What are you left with? Players who can withstand the rigours of AFL week in week out.
Its a rough and tough game on the body

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I just got back from a walk to the park and beach with my 14yo who is in the Sydney Academy.

I was explaining to him, it was his Sydney born mother who enrolled both boys to play AFL, not rugby. I was against it. I also explained to him with the standard of umpiring being crap in the lesser leagues, and in particular Sydney, I convinced my eldest to give the game away just before he turned 17yo.

I'm trying to convince my little one to make this his last year at the Academy and drop his dreams to play this mugs game. There's more to life than playing footy, and after playing footy you live with a lot of injuries.

I told them both its better to be involved with footy as the guys who built the stands and seats they sit in, and watch the players with the necessary commitment to play, go at each other with no protection from umpires or team mates.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
I just got back from a walk to the park and beach with my 14yo who is in the Sydney Academy.

Can he play intercept defender for us? :grin:

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 4:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

bondiblue wrote:
CK95 wrote:

You didn't expect him to do another one this year? Have a reread of posts over preseason: Posters expected it.

OMac had back issues before he was delisted by Melb at 23yo and nearly 100 games.
He broke down last year when we needed him most. Looks like the same injury has flared up again.

3 years ago Melbourne's season was derailed with 17 operations over the summer. They were the walking wounded.

Worth having a look at what they did, but I tell you alot of the brittle players were discarded, or not selected.
What are you left with? Players who can withstand the rigours of AFL week in week out.

Maybe there is a bit of truth to both my side & yours bondi.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 9:55 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

bondiblue wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Add Marchbank wad injured when we got gim

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 10:01 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Voss said upon arrival at CFC the best ability is availability

He won't be happy one iota there are so many injuries

Thing is yes some are injury prone and we should never have got them but there's a lot of other injured players the last few years at CFC

A review would potentially find more than 1 reason

I'd be showing those who are injury prone the door. AFL lists are small compared to some other sports like NFL. If you lose 4 key defenders you are close to screwed. Just 4 players. The margin for error is tiny. Can't afford to recruit injury prone players let alone keep them on the list for years.

SOS made some good moves but also some dumb ones.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 10:25 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

CK95 wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
CK95 wrote:

Maybe there is a bit of truth to both my side & yours bondi.

I wouldn't be surprised if there's room to improve on the rehabilitation side and injury prevention too.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 11:14 am 
Rod Ashman

Paddycripps wrote:

Thing is yes some are injury prone and we should never have got them but there's a lot of other injured players the last few years at CFC

I'd be showing those who are injury prone the door. AFL lists are small compared to some other sports like NFL. If you lose 4 key defenders you are close to screwed. Just 4 players. The margin for error is tiny. Can't afford to recruit injury prone players let alone keep them on the list for years.

I think that is too much of a generalisation. A player could be sidelined on multiple occassions for different injuries, so we delist him because he is "prone" to injury. The medical staff across the industry share information as the AFL and all clubs want the players available for selection not injured. So treatments across clubs will be similar. The fitness staff work closely with the medical staff within each club to endevour to get all players physically fit for the rigor of AFL football. That requires individual training regimes and recovery plans which may change if there is a change to the playing requirements for a player. Because he has moved to the backline are the physical requirements for playing now different, remembering subtle differences can have huge impact.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 3:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

carntheblues wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

I think that is too much of a generalisation. A player could be sidelined on multiple occassions for different injuries, so we delist him because he is "prone" to injury. The medical staff across the industry share information as the AFL and all clubs want the players available for selection not injured. So treatments across clubs will be similar. The fitness staff work closely with the medical staff within each club to endevour to get all players physically fit for the rigor of AFL football. That requires individual training regimes and recovery plans which may change if there is a change to the playing requirements for a player. Because he has moved to the backline are the physical requirements for playing now different, remembering subtle differences can have huge impact.

I'm guessing you're referring to Gov?

If so, he's more accountable in defence and can't hide whilst he has an opportunist to mind, plus the intercept role he is expected to perform.

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:18 pm 
Bruce Doull

Paddycripps wrote:
Add Marchbank wad injured when we got gim

Hey Paddy boy….

sounds like you had a glass of gim last night…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 5:54 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

carntheblues wrote:
Paddycripps wrote:

Of course its a generalisation but history has proven McG and McD and March all had repeated injuries before we got them and all have been injury prone since arriving. Take all the BS away everyone I think acknowledges some players just don't have bodies cut out for the rigours of AFL football. So buyer beware if you get a player with a history littered with injuries

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 6:51 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Geez it must have been some sort of corky for George Hewett. Missing a second week :eek:

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 11:48 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Marc McGowan
@ByMarcMcGowan
·
31s
Caleb Marchbank (knee) to make his long-awaited return in the VFL this weekend. George Hewett (calf) no certainty to return next week either

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:37 pm 
Ken Hunter

The_Cranium wrote:
Geez it must have been some sort of corky for George Hewett. Missing a second week :eek:

There is a rumour doing the rounds that he has had bleeding in the calf and may not return until about round 10.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 1:55 pm 
Craig Bradley

I’m sure our newly-minted Official Radiology Partner has given the club all it can to diagnose the problem.

We’re all just mushrooms.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:30 pm 
Ken Hunter

kezza wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:

There is a rumour doing the rounds that he has had bleeding in the calf and may not return until about round 10.
We play interstate next round so wouldn't be a surprise if they hold him back the extra week.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:57 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
The_Cranium wrote:

All corkies involve bleeding. It could be 1 week out or months depending on the severity. The fact he's been walking around, albeit with a limp, implies its not on the severe end from what I was just told, but you never know. Every injury and individual is different.

Injury happened on the 23rd April. That was 2 weeks ago. Maybe he misses travelling by plane to play GWS and he returns in round 10 for the home game vs Swans. Maybe, Maybe Maybe. Lets hope he's back after 3 weeks vs GWS.

Quote:
A corky is the result of a blunt trauma to the muscle that causes bleeding deep within the muscle. The medical term for this is a contusion. It is usually the result of a direct impact to the muscle from an object, or by contact with a person.

A corky can occur in any area, but it is most common for a contusion to be in the thigh region. This is due to the collisions that occur in sport between the muscle and ball, or muscle and another player. The blow to the muscle causes local muscle damage with associated bleeding.

Contusions can range from minor blows, resulting in minimal pain and no loss of activity, to severe contusions resulting in ‑ significant pain and loss of function. They may even lead to surgery if there is significant bleeding in the area!

Signs & symptoms of a corked muscle
The main diagnostic criteria for a muscle contusion revolve around how the injury occurred along with other signs such as local tenderness, swelling and increased pain on movement and stretch. Severe pain at the time of the injury may limit the ability to walk and continue to participate in activities, and often means the end of the game for the injured player.

The blow causes damage to local blood vessels and muscle tissue. Bruising may or may not be present depending on the depth of the contusion. A contusion without bruising can often be more painful and restrictive as the blood can get trapped within the tissue layers, so it doesn’t make it to the surface to see as a bruise.

Sometimes with severe contusions, the swelling may track down to the knee joint or lower leg or even press on nerves in the area causing pins and needles, numbness or compartment syndrome and severe pain.

Quote:
Physiotherapy treatment involves soft tissue therapy, controlled massage, dry needling, stretching, strengthening and education on what you should and shouldn’t be doing. This will allow the fastest and safest return to sport.

https://www.backinmotion.com.au/blog/article/clinical-conditions-muscle-contusion

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1016 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 51  Next