Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 7:04 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 108  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bluechampion wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
A bit light on I would have thought. I appreciate they will wait to see what happens with trades but you would think we'd made at least 5 changes to the senior list.

With A Silvagni‘s retirement it is 5 changes.

Two of them are Rookies so even with Alex Silvagni it's only 3 changes to the senior list.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:55 pm 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
ColourMan wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
redback wrote:
Our pp should be enough for Shiel even M Crouch (which i would be a great get) but too much for McGovern.

We wanted (and received) 2 first round picks for a contracted player that turned 29 before the season started.
And you think pick 12 in a stronger draft is enough for a contracted Dylan Shiel or a contracted 23 year old All Australian and reigning B&F in Matt Crouch?

It's great to play hard ball but let's attempt to be slightly realistic.

The devil is in the detail which you’ve ignored....

We gave the Crows pick 19 (2018) in a much stronger draft which sort of cancels out pick 16 (2017).

We’re also receiving around pick 25 (2018) from the Crows but the Crows were expecting that to be much closer to pick 35 or 36... which would have been replaced by pick 37 (which we also supplied to the Crows as part of the deal).

So the Crows expected the deal to be...

Carlton 10 (2017),16 (2017), 37 (2018)
Adelaide 19 (2018), 35 or 36 (2018)

The list manager got lucky, no one expected the Crows to finish where they did, especially the Crows... apart from their injuries, they decided to go camping etc :lol:

We were always going to struggle with no midfield etc

Try dealing in reality.
Pick 19 is just blatantly untrue. It will be nowhere near that. More likely pick 25. And we get their second rounder. Your post is full of maybes, incorrect facts and could be's.
Since when do draft pick allocations have anything to do with future expectations? :grin:
When draft picks are allocated on where people expect to finish, get back to me.

Until then, the reality is we received 2 first round picks and a swap of second rounders with a team that finished well out of the 8. We gave up Gibbs and our 3rd rounder this year, that will probably be in the high 40's.
It was a good deal IMO.

There’s no incorrect facts, that’s your spin... currently they are the selections.

Adelaide did not expect to miss the 8...

The picks will change but many consider that pick 19 (or thereabouts) to be at least as valuable at pick 16 from last year due to the supposed superior quality of this year’s draft

It’s trading not allocating, and if you don’t think clubs don’t try to project where clubs will finish before they complete trades involving future trade picks then this conversation is pointless... why would the Crows swap their 2nd rounder with us then? Maybe because they believed we would finish much lower than them etc etc

It’s another reason why some in the industry have a laugh at our expense...

But you’re right, it’s about opinions, we’ll agree to disagree!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:04 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

So 3 off the primary list so far - you'd expect another couple at least to accomodate 3 draftees and 2 free agents/trades

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:06 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Rexy wrote:
Mullett , Shaw , O'Shea , JGM delisted

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2018-0 ... st-changes

Pretty fair, a few more to come later I reckon. If I was keeping any of them I would've hung on to Mullett for depth but he's allergic to body contact so he didn't have a future. Looks like Schumacher is our HBF depth for next year, I'm fine with that.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:10 pm 
Harry Vallence

Rexy wrote:
So 3 off the primary list so far - you'd expect another couple at least to accomodate 3 draftees and 2 free agents/trades

3 off the Rookie list, Silvagni, Shaw & Glass-McClasker.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:31 pm 
Robert Walls

GWS wrote:
bluechampion wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
A bit light on I would have thought. I appreciate they will wait to see what happens with trades but you would think we'd made at least 5 changes to the senior list.

With A Silvagni‘s retirement it is 5 changes.

Two of them are Rookies so even with Alex Silvagni it's only 3 changes to the senior list.

True. But the rookie list doesn’t work the way it used to.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

Sin City wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Pretty fair, a few more to come later I reckon. If I was keeping any of them I would've hung on to Mullett for depth but he's allergic to body contact so he didn't have a future. Looks like Schumacher is our HBF depth for next year, I'm fine with that.

Scrimshaw?

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:03 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

ColourMan wrote:
But you’re right, it’s about opinions, we’ll agree to disagree!

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:11 pm 
Robert Walls

Says a lot about our mature recycled players. Like my earlier post I get we have a larger strategy around total player payments and not giving much up for these guys but we didn't get much for our roll of the dice from this lot or Palmer, Smedts etc.

It's an area for the club to resource better to identify and snag a Miles or Kelly type with a later pick. Happy with the investment in kids to date but can't just build a side that way.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 9:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

Pathetic inept lazy recruiting 3 spuds then piss them off after 22 rounds

As I said before look everywhere
Stewart is not the only one in the GFL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 12:50 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Sin City wrote:
Rexy wrote:

Or McGovern?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:29 am 
Bob Chitty

Noonamah Blue wrote:
Rexy wrote:

3 off the Rookie list, Silvagni, Shaw & Glass-McClasker.

So its 2 off main list, 3 off rookie list, 5 in total - yes?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:02 pm 
Geoff Southby

All of O'Shea, Shaw and Mullett were a complete waste of time. Should of been one of those 3 at most, and the other 2 being at least mids if we were going to get recycled guys in.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:19 pm 
Craig Bradley

yes agree BUT isn't it similar to Wright from Adelaide and that has paid off - so I think sometimes it works other times it doesn't particularly given our list blackhole from 24- 29 years of age

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 5:03 pm 
Harry Vallence

I have a feeling that if we require,
McGovern Shiel and Setterfield then goodbye to
Rowe Graham and Kerridge...

Shiel first pick 2019.
Setterfield second round, maybe 2 of them.
McGovern PP 12ish and maybe pick swaps.

Oops this is my dream....

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:25 pm 
Bob Chitty

blueboy23 wrote:
I have a feeling that if we require,
McGovern Shiel and Setterfield then goodbye to
Rowe Graham and Kerridge...

Shiel first pick 2019.
Setterfield second round, maybe 2 of them.
McGovern PP 12ish and maybe pick swaps.

Oops this is my dream....

its a very interesting way of looking at it, but it would probably be

shiel = kerridge
setterfield = graham
McGovern = Casbolt

I am really starting to warm to McGovern ... gives players like Kerr, McKey, DeKonig etc.. realtime to develop and become something special without the pressures and demands of Senior Football.

Shiel/Setterfield to give instant relief to Cripps and Walsh (Pick 1) and whatever we do with 24 & 25.

that is 3 instant upgrades on existing levels of talent and further introduction of elite talent.

i honestly believe we will be a vastly different side next year, if we can get our trades right, all our players back from injury ...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:23 pm 
Harry Vallence

Adelaide get pick 1 and their second rounder back from us,
GWS get the priority pick, and Adelaide's first two picks (maybe a side deal involving a future pick for Setterfield)
We get McGovern and Shiel.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:26 pm 
Bruce Doull

no thanks

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:29 pm 
Harry Vallence

Not just because we might win games next year, but that it would completely @#$%&! St Kilda, and keep Essendon* in that "10-12 wins but never threatening" bracket. I'm all about the realistic victories these days.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:30 pm 
Ken Hunter

Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Adelaide get pick 1 and their second rounder back from us,
GWS get the priority pick, and Adelaide's first two picks (maybe a side deal involving a future pick for Setterfield)
We get McGovern and Shiel.

Does that mean we give up pick 1, 12 (PP) and a mid 20's pick for Shiel and McGovern?

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79, 80 ... 108  Next