Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:55 pm 
Wayne Johnston

99prelim wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Give O'Brien a couple of weeks at least to adjust to the tempo and play him at half back where he seemed to show the most promise last season. Tell him to RUN as well.

Yep...same applies to Gibbons

Some on here thinks he's the only player ever to have played 2 poor games and deserved demotion.

Gibbons stays

Gibbons stays, Polson doesn’t. Can’t carry both of them hoping for the tide to turn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:37 pm 
John James

Interesting to note that Gold Coast haven't scored 100 points in a game since Round 2, 2018.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:40 am 
Stephen Kernahan

We need an injection of pace against a team that likes to run and carry from half back and is quick.
We also need a stay at home forward.
No point winning possession and then having every single player in the defensive half. The ball can travel forward a lot faster than a wave of attackers and defenders all trying to make position.

Interesting comments on AFL 360 by both Dew and Scott how much easier it is to sell a rebuild from 2-1 than 0-3. The comments weren't aimed at Carlton, rather the possibility that GCS were going to be there.

This is one team we were going to finish on top of for sure three months ago. Time to get the points.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:18 pm 
Horrie Clover

Gibbons was a risk but he must have been expected to hit the scoreboard, zero goals from 3 matches says it all. Polson 4 goals from 15 games says likewise, they need to be dropped this week.

Why on earth would you chase Fasolo and drop him after 2 games, at least he kicked a goal in each game. Garlett was unlucky, Marchbank took his spot but he could have been kept in the team, he is more talented than Gibbons and Polson.

Outs: Gibbons, Polson, McGovan?, Lobbe
Ins: Fasolo, Garlett, Kerr, Phillips

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:58 pm 
Rod Ashman

Stefchook wrote:
I actually think it's an advantage for us that GC won again. Our loss and their win will mean there will be none of the complacent 'just turn up and we should get the win' crap we've had the last 2 years in our early games against GC.

I suspect the venue also, strangely enough, gives us an advantage. We're rubbish at Marvel. But we've won our last 2 at Metricon.

This

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:08 pm 
Geoff Southby

Blue Tongue wrote:
Gibbons was a risk but he must have been expected to hit the scoreboard, zero goals from 3 matches says it all. Polson 4 goals from 15 games says likewise, they need to be dropped this week.

Why on earth would you chase Fasolo and drop him after 2 games, at least he kicked a goal in each game. Garlett was unlucky, Marchbank took his spot but he could have been kept in the team, he is more talented than Gibbons and Polson.

I think we have no choice but to play Fasolo. Even an underdone fasolo is capable of more than Gibbons and Polson.

I think the only way Gibbons stays in is if he is more part of the midfield rotation, I’m not sure why he isn’t.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:15 am 
Wayne Johnston

Blue Tongue wrote:

Maybe because kicking two goals was all that Fasolo did, and we rated fwd pressure as more important.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:15 am 
Harry Vallence

Adam Chatfield wrote:
Blue Tongue wrote:

I think we have no choice but to play Fasolo. Even an underdone fasolo is capable of more than Gibbons and Polson.

I think the only way Gibbons stays in is if he is more part of the midfield rotation, I’m not sure why he isn’t.

Agreed - Gibbons is basically being played out of position as I thought he was more of a natural midfielder than smallish forward. Isnt that right?

One of Gibbons or Polson should come out (at least) and I would bring Garlett back in to play the small forward role (which I think he is much more suited to - certainly more suited than playing off HB).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:45 am 
John James

Is there any chance Charlie or Gov will get up for this game? I think we really need one of them to be a realistic chance.
Harry will be double teamed if he has to do it on his own.

We will also need a change in the ruck, been flogged there two weeks in a row.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 pm 
Wayne Johnston

WA Blue wrote:
Is there any chance Charlie or Gov will get up for this game? I think we really need one of them to be a realistic chance.

Get the ol 'H with a cross sign through it' sign up early.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:30 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

WA Blue wrote:

3 weeks in a row vs opposition rucks.

Round 1 vs Richmond ruck Nankervis kicks 3 goals and gets 3 votes
Round 2 vs Port Adel rucks Lycett kicks 1 goal and 25 possessions and gets 3 votes
Round 3 vs Swans ruck Sinclair kicks 1 goal 40 hit outs and 120 Fantasy points...Lobbe watched whilst Sinclair attacked the ball...thankfully Sinclair dropped a couple of marks.

Rucks have been the difference IMHO ... along with a few inconsistent umpiring decisions in front of goals.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:40 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

I don't think Gibbons and Polson have done enough to hold a spot in the 22.

I prefer Garlett forward than those 2 TBH. Garlett has speed and a much classier player.

Jack Silvagni was the most improved in the preseason imo and deserves to be in the 22 before Gibbons, Polson and Setters, and Garlett, so I'd like to see him in.

Have been biting my tongue but Setters hasn't set the world on fire other than his 2nd half tagging job where he not only quieten Rockliff but also nullified his own game too.

I know Setters has only played 5 AFL games, but his job is contested ball and should be winning possessions, but he seems to be getting lost with some of the criticism. He needs to step up, or if selectors are thinking the same, bring in Kennedy for Setters.

Fingers crossed there is a surprise selection with Kreuzer and Charlie being selected. I'm hoping Kreuzer can ruck 0% game time. 3 months since his minor op. If they do come in it will be for Lobbe and casboult imo.

I'm pretty sure Gov plays and only went of for precautionary reasons. His back seized up not his hamstring.

Blues have to win this one and should if the abovementioned changes happen.

I expect to see more poise from the Blues this week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:51 pm 
Ken Hunter

I thought Setterfield was excellent against ninthmond.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:53 pm 
Geoff Southby

Drop Polson for either SOJ or Garlett dependent on availability on other players but give Gibbons another chance and this time in his natural position as a mid.

Why do our MC try to turn the players into something they are not?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:05 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:

I'm being a bit harsh given he's only played 5 games.

Against Richmond he had around 25 possessions in around 65% game time which is great, and but only 7 or 8 contested possessions.

Efficiency was around 50% which is not excellent, as only 12 possessions counted for something. He was a bit hurried imo.

But against Port he went missing in the first half and luckily the MC found a job for him tagging Rockliff.

Last week against the Swans I thought he went missing.

He's still a pup, and I guess we should show some patience as he does need game time.

I have the microscope on looking for clues...agree I'm a tad too harsh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
Drop Polson for either SOJ or Garlett dependent on availability on other players but give Gibbons another chance and this time in his natural position as a mid.

I think Gibbo is a great VFL mid.
He seems to lack speed for midfield role, and also too small for a contested bull.

I think he was recruited for the small forward role, and he isn't a small forward. He's possibly a goal kicking mid.

I hope he turns out well for us.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:21 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
I don't think Gibbons and Polson have done enough to hold a spot in the 22.

I prefer Garlett forward than those 2 TBH. Garlett has speed and a much classier player.

Jack Silvagni was the most improved in the preseason imo and deserves to be in the 22 before Gibbons, Polson and Setters, and Garlett, so I'd like to see him in.

Have been biting my tongue but Setters hasn't set the world on fire other than his 2nd half tagging job where he not only quieten Rockliff but also nullified his own game too.

I know Setters has only played 5 AFL games, but his job is contested ball and should be winning possessions, but he seems to be getting lost with some of the criticism. He needs to step up, or if selectors are thinking the same, bring in Kennedy for Setters.

Fingers crossed there is a surprise selection with Kreuzer and Charlie being selected. I'm hoping Kreuzer can ruck 0% game time. 3 months since his minor op. If they do come in it will be for Lobbe and casboult imo.

I'm pretty sure Gov plays and only went of for precautionary reasons. His back seized up not his hamstring.

Blues have to win this one and should if the abovementioned changes happen.

I expect to see more poise from the Blues this week.

I expect them to win. They should have won last week.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:47 pm 
Geoff Southby

bondiblue wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

He seems to lack speed for midfield role, and also too small for a contested bull.

I think he was recruited for the small forward role, and he isn't a small forward. He's possibly a goal kicking mid.

bondi you may be right but will not know until his is given a go in the midfield.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:10 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

GreatEx wrote:

Did a pretty good job tagging Rockliff in the second half against Port too.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:51 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
Teddy Hopkins wrote:

bondi you may be right but will not know until his is given a go in the midfield.

Precisely

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 247 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 13  Next