Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Jun 18, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 82  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2017
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:36 pm 
Robert Walls

Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Monday wrote:
trublu wrote:
We are not a destination club yet. We are 3 to 4 years form playing finals so why are we targeting 24+ year olds? They don't want to come to a club thats several year from playing finals especially when they have come from a club that hasn't played finals.

The BIG mistake the club made actually Andrew Mckay made was coming out at the start of the week saying we have interest in all these players. Just say we are going to build the list with as much talent as we can acquire and look forward to going to the draft to do this.

Now that we have missed out on all these players he linked us to, all of you will crack the sads.

Steven Trigg has been saying all year we will rebuild through the draft and will only consider trading picks if something extraordinary was available.

I know you have your critics but I can't really fault this post...

With a side full of youngsters we led 13 games in the last quarter. All that with a decimated midfield.
With a fit Cripps and a bit more help in the midfield, another pre-season into our extremely young back 6, I could see us pushing for the 8 next year. Perhaps I'm an optimist but I have faith in our young blokes coming along quite a bit next year.

As for missing all of the players linked to us. Our main target (Kennedy) has nominated us.

I could not agree with you more BV. What a load of bulldust that we are 3-4 years away from finals.

I want us genuinely challenging for the top 8 next year. We have more than a dozen players who I 'expect' will improve next year. This has been unheard of...ever.

Silvagni, PetSet, McKay, Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering, Fisher, Macreadie, Cunningham, Polson, CCurnow, Williamson, Pickett, Kerr, Byrne

And I haven't included Cripps, Docherty, Jones (in his new role), maybe Boekhorst, Lamb who have yet to peak

And...if Kennedy is fit, you can add him into the mix

A bit of luck with injuries (even KB acknowledges that Rich's injury dearth helped them win the flag) and I reckon we go into EVERY game next year believing we are good enough to win if we bring our A game and the top 4 clubs are down by 5% (and this happens every week...happened on GF day FFS!!!!)

Of course, there are no guarantees about where we end up next year, but to place the bar so low is an insult to the accelerated reset that Bolton et al have overseen.

Post subject: List Management 2017
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:59 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Rexy wrote:
dane wrote:
Rexy wrote:
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
We are making a big play for Tom Boyd.

not sure why :?

As he is a star?

straight swap for Levi and I'll be ok with it

Trade a bush leaguer for a blue chipper?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:06 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

why not ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:16 pm 
Harry Vallence

99prelim wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Monday wrote:
trublu wrote:
We are not a destination club yet. We are 3 to 4 years form playing finals so why are we targeting 24+ year olds? They don't want to come to a club thats several year from playing finals especially when they have come from a club that hasn't played finals.

The BIG mistake the club made actually Andrew Mckay made was coming out at the start of the week saying we have interest in all these players. Just say we are going to build the list with as much talent as we can acquire and look forward to going to the draft to do this.

Now that we have missed out on all these players he linked us to, all of you will crack the sads.

Steven Trigg has been saying all year we will rebuild through the draft and will only consider trading picks if something extraordinary was available.

With a side full of youngsters we led 13 games in the last quarter. All that with a decimated midfield.
With a fit Cripps and a bit more help in the midfield, another pre-season into our extremely young back 6, I could see us pushing for the 8 next year. Perhaps I'm an optimist but I have faith in our young blokes coming along quite a bit next year.

As for missing all of the players linked to us. Our main target (Kennedy) has nominated us.

I could not agree with you more BV. What a load of bulldust that we are 3-4 years away from finals.

I want us genuinely challenging for the top 8 next year. We have more than a dozen players who I 'expect' will improve next year. This has been unheard of...ever.

Silvagni, PetSet, McKay, Plowman, Marchbank, Weitering, Fisher, Macreadie, Cunningham, Polson, CCurnow, Williamson, Pickett, Kerr, Byrne

And I haven't included Cripps, Docherty, Jones (in his new role), maybe Boekhorst, Lamb who have yet to peak

A bit of luck with injuries (even KB acknowledges that Rich's injury dearth helped them win the flag) and I reckon we go into EVERY game next year believing we are good enough to win if we bring our A game and the top 4 clubs are down by 5% (and this happens every week...happened on GF day FFS!!!!)

Of course, there are no guarantees about where we end up next year, but to place the bar so low is an insult to the accelerated reset that Bolton et al have overseen.

Yes, if it takes us four years to play finals we may as well pack it in. Next year.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:00 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

99prelim wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Monday wrote:
trublu wrote:

Ditto! I said this elsewhere too and got told I was dreaming.

Finals in 2018 is a minimum.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:27 am 
Rod Ashman

3-4 years from playing finals? richmond won a @#$%&! flag with a team full of no-names ! anything is now possible.
i can't see a standout team in the comp right now. they're all beatable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:29 am 
Bruce Doull

3-4 years is an eternity in the AFL. The average career is only around 6 years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:47 am 
Harry Vallence

Who would want to come to a club that is always 3-4 years off playing finals. Never ever going to make it if that were the plan.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:58 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I am confident we will move up the ladder next year however doubt we will play finals.
In 2019 (and beyond) I think we will make the finals.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:06 am 
John Nicholls

Obviously it's silly to put a ceiling on 2018, but 2019 was always the target for our "break out year".

Next year is about one more year of development into our rising stars (and other young guns and young leaders) and refining the attacking part of our game plan. Next year is also about cutting off the rest of the dead wood on our list, nailing the superdraft and directing our war chest towards bringing in a big fish (Lynch?)

Everything is going to plan. Stay the course.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:55 am 
Craig Bradley

Well said robertbb. I see us spending 2018 developing the attacking side to our game that we all want to see. This will then bolt on to our defensive structures.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:23 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

updated 2017 free agents list

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Tom Rockliff (Brisbane); Steven Motlop (Geelong); Scott Thompson (North Melbourne); Jackson Trengove (Port Adelaide).

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Claye Beams (Brisbane); Simon White (Carlton); Lachlan Keeffe, Ben Sinclair (Collingwood); Ben Howlett (Essendon*); Zac Clarke, Nick Suban (Fremantle); Daniel Menzel (Geelong Cats); Taylor Duryea (Hawthorn).

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2017-1 ... iod-begins

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:42 pm 
Craig Bradley

robertbb wrote:
Obviously it's silly to put a ceiling on 2018, but 2019 was always the target for our "break out year".

Next year is about one more year of development into our rising stars (and other young guns and young leaders) and refining the attacking part of our game plan. Next year is also about cutting off the rest of the dead wood on our list, nailing the superdraft and directing our war chest towards bringing in a big fish (Lynch?)

Everything is going to plan. Stay the course.

I agree. I'm very satisfied with the direction of the club and the development of the list. But I'd be surprised if we're close to the 8 next year, even if Gibbs stays. And if he doesn't. Even less likely I would have thought, given we're unlikely to pick up an established quality senior player to replace him (like a Rockliff).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

famousblueraincoat wrote:
99prelim wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Blue Monday wrote:
trublu wrote:

Yes, if it takes us four years to play finals we may as well pack it in. Next year.

This. If we don't make the finals for another four years we might as well hand back the keys.

I expect (hope) we will go close to playing finals next year, with a good run with injuries who knows. In 2019 for the sake of the club playing finals is a necessity. You can only sell the "be patient, we are rebuilding" scenario for so long. We've been living on promises of better times being around the corner most of this century.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Im on Carlton @ $4-1 to make the 8.

Shit odds, but I believe.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:56 pm 
formerly BlueRob

Where did we all expect Richmond to finish? ... I thought Hardwick would be gone by round 4 and that they would finish about 12th.

I reckon we will make the 8 in 2018 ... call me an optimist. There will be a heap of improvement in our youngsters. Cripps and Curnow back. Kennedy will be a success. We will play attacking football. C Curnow will dominate. Our backline will improve even more.

Go Blues! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:27 am 
Serge Silvagni

BigBlueWave wrote:
Where did we all expect Richmond to finish? ... I thought Hardwick would be gone by round 4 and that they would finish about 12th.

I reckon we will make the 8 in 2018 ... call me an optimist. There will be a heap of improvement in our youngsters. Cripps and Curnow back. Kennedy will be a success. We will play attacking football. C Curnow will dominate. Our backline will improve even more.

Richmond have the best 4 player combo in the league. Rance, Martin, Cotchin and Reiwoldt. Add to that seasoned bodies like Ellis, Vlaustin, Lambert, Grigg, Houli and the inclusions off Caddy, Prestia and Nankervis....... We have nothing close to that YET. In a few years to come we will but it takes time to become hard seasoned footballers who can go 22 + rounds. Our players are still babies.

Can you see us leaping over Saints, Bulldogs, Melbourne or taking spot of Port, Essendon**, Swans, Cats, GWS, Richmond, Crows. The only one that will fall out of the 8 is the Eagles.

Bolts will continue playing kids. Graham, Buckley, Boekhorst and the likes have been told there will be limited opportunity for them next year as Bolts will continue down the youth path. Mckay, Polson, Pickett, Kennedy and Pick 3 will get games in next year. Our midfield depth is poor but it will get better within 2 more drafts

I’m not saying we don’t have a talented list, we have a very young talented and exciting list. What we don’t have are seasoned bodies to fight it out for 22 rounds. The kids are still boys. This will take time and that’s why we won’t play finals for least 2 more years.

That’s why I would trade Gibbs. We won’t play finals next year so why keep him? and from what I’m hearing if the crows make us an offer to good to refuse he is gone.

We will become a destination club in 2 years time because we will be showing plenty on field and close to finals

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:23 am 
Ken Hunter

ryan2000 wrote:

Actually a friend of mine who barracks for Richmond got on the tigers to win the flag and Dusty for the Brownlow at the start of the season. Got odds of 200-1 and placed a bet of $200. Do the maths, a pretty happy tiger supporter.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:27 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

kezza wrote:
ryan2000 wrote:

Actually a friend of mine who barracks for Richmond got on the tigers to win the flag and Dusty for the Brownlow at the start of the season. Got odds of 200-1 and placed a bet of $200. Do the maths, a pretty happy tiger supporter.

You saying Ryan should have $10,000 on Carlton to make the 8?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:30 am 
Garry Crane

trublu wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:

Can you see us leaping over Saints, Bulldogs, Melbourne or taking spot of Port, Essendon***

YES ! :fight:

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67 ... 82  Next