Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 93  Next
 Post subject: Re: List Management 2014
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:05 pm 
formerly cj69

A lot of rumours floating around and as usual Carlton is in the middle of most of them. In the end how many realistically happen?

Given where we are I still believe we need to clear out the dead wood and build for the future. IMO we are 2-3 years minimum from being a true finals contender.

Personally, the only trade deals I would do this year would be for a "Docherty type" deal. Get kids in, release room in the salary cap and then when we have a clear impression our our list and have options then chase a big name or two to fill the roles. IMO drafting for "needs" at the moment is futile given we have so many.

I would clear out McLean, Waite, Temay, Lucas and hopefully trade Casboult, Garlett, Robinson for picks. With Duigan & Bootsma gone that is 7 changes to the Primary List and stills leaves a lot of experience in Judd, Jamison, Carrazzo, Walker, Gibbs, Murphy & Thomas.

Watson, Warnock & Armfield only survive because they have contracts.

If we could get a second round and 2 x third rounds with those trades that not bad. Maybe a Casboult and our 2nd round may get a 1st round? We may even be better doing some deal where we could get 2 x 2nd rounds for him.

Realistically we could have picks around 5, 23, 26, 41, 42, 45, 63, 81. With a bit of smart trading we could hopefully advance some of those later picks.

We could also upgrade Johnson and/or Sheehan and still have 4-5 rookie picks as well.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:07 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Effes wrote:
How does Higgins seriously fit in to a carefully thought out list management plan?

He doesn't. Hence the path to Carlton.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:16 pm 
Craig Bradley

I'm still not buying the reports we're into Higgins.

Seperately, would anyone do pick 5 for Jaksch and O'Rourke?
Although O'Rourke hasn't really lived up to his draft spot yet, he could be another like Tyson who thrives at home and if he can stay injury free for once.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:38 pm 
Robert Walls

Question based on ignorance here. I've never seen Jacksch play, but from memory he wasn't rated cream of the crop in what was already a diluted draft. He went about pick 10-12 didn't he after GWS had already picked the eyes out of it?

I have vague recollections he wasn't tall enough to be a genuine key forward. Or something
along those lines.

So the real questions from me. Has he achieved anything at Gws and is he actually worth picking up?

Post subject: List Management 2014
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:51 pm 
Vale 1953-2020

Big Kahuna Boot wrote:
..handshakes >>> cheapish one year deal, depth and leadership.... ..and sweet eff all outside interest.. ..though would let him walk and try to sweet talk Luke ball out of retirement as a Stop gap hard inside mid, and he could teach our group about real team work....

English?

After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F .........
Visit http://fromthemoshpit.com/

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:58 pm 
Craig Bradley

"It's not that Brock is in a position that he's going to be chopped from the list.

"I want to see where he is.

"There was a hint during the year to me from him that he said he's finding it pretty tough."

Back in May McLean reflected candidly on where his career was positioned, telling AFL.com.au he was a 'year-by-year prospect' and explaining how he'd made changes to make himself a happier footballer.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/carlton/new ... n-decision

I don't think Mick is convinced Brock wants to play on.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:14 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

emtwenty wrote:
"It's not that Brock is in a position that he's going to be chopped from the list.

"I want to see where he is.

"There was a hint during the year to me from him that he said he's finding it pretty tough."

Back in May McLean reflected candidly on where his career was positioned, telling AFL.com.au he was a 'year-by-year prospect' and explaining how he'd made changes to make himself a happier footballer.

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/carlton/new ... n-decision

I don't think Mick is convinced Brock wants to play on.

I don't think Brock is either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:07 pm 
Robert Walls

I hope brock goes. not being mean spirited, more because it would force us down a path of rebuilding that we need to go.

we need to be ruthless with the list.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:21 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Might to keep in mind Waite hasn't left yet. I don't mind if he stays but it has to be year to year from no on. If he's getting a conditional second year from us, he should consider himself fortunate.

Casbault, if someone is going to offer him big $ then you can't blame him for leaving, we shouldn't match though. He's shown he can take a big mark, he hasn't shown he can do it consistently and while his kicking for goal has improved, its still terrible.

As for guys like McLean and Armfield, happy for the club to make that call either way.

I'd rather we move Robinson and Garlett on. Hopefully we get something in return, but I don't think we should be concerned about cutting them for nothing.

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:26 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

You had a few beers this afternoon TBB?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 4:38 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Nooo, anything in particular you disagree with dane?

"there’s more chance of me becoming the full forward for the [Western Bulldogs] than there is of any change in the Labor Party." Julia Gillard 18-05-2010

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:27 pm 
Ken Hunter

moshe25 wrote:
Big Kahuna Boot wrote:
..handshakes >>> cheapish one year deal, depth and leadership.... ..and sweet eff all outside interest.. ..though would let him walk and try to sweet talk Luke ball out of retirement as a Stop gap hard inside mid, and he could teach our group about real team work....

English?

..mclean on a cheap one year deal, as depth maybe, if he is cheap enough.. ..it will take three off seasons to turn over the list.. ..and I doubt their is any interest in him as a trade.. ..but for good leadership and a player you can manage through a year I'd rather chat to Luke ball..

Post subject: List Management 2014
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:19 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

TruBlueBrad wrote:

Haha just a few typos!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:57 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

dane wrote:
TruBlueBrad wrote:

Haha just a few typos!

:oops:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:01 pm 
formerly cj69

emtwenty wrote:

I would dependant upon a physical for O'Rourke. Rumour is a bad back. If it's okay I would do it. I rate O'Rourke and getting a young KPP player and a young mid both with 2 years development would be a great get and better value than anything we would get for pick 5.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:08 pm 
Craig Bradley

ThePsychologist wrote:
emtwenty wrote:

I would dependant upon a physical for O'Rourke. Rumour is a bad back. If it's okay I would do it. I rate O'Rourke and getting a young KPP player and a young mid both with 2 years development would be a great get and better value than anything we would get for pick 5.

I think O'Rourke could be a little like Tyson. Tyson struggled a bit @ GWS due to injury & not totally settling in up there and since his move to Melbourne has really thrived.

I just think trading pick 5 for two really good young players might help us more than drafting 1 good player. We need as much quality as possible. Whether it is the pair I suggested, or another pair of players, I think a 2 for 1 deal would be handy for us.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:12 pm 
formerly cj69

emtwenty wrote:
ThePsychologist wrote:
emtwenty wrote:

I think O'Rourke could be a little like Tyson. Tyson struggled a bit @ GWS due to injury & not totally settling in up there and since his move to Melbourne has really thrived.

I just think trading pick 5 for two really good young players might help us more than drafting 1 good player. We need as much quality as possible. Whether it is the pair I suggested, or another pair of players, I think a 2 for 1 deal would be handy for us.

Agree. This is what we need to do.

Given our situation and list we need to do more deals like this.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:14 pm 
Craig Bradley

It had been floated on BF that GWS were asking for our first for Jaksch + a player. But that player wasn't specified. And because it's BF it could be BS. But it did get me thinking.

I think it would be better than trading our second pick in a straight swap for Jaksch, because this way we get 3 players in for pick 5 and our second, instead of just two players for 2 picks.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:20 pm 
formerly cj69

Would anyone consider swapping Garlett for Callum Sinclair at WCE?

Good young ruckman who can push forward. If Casboult goes or Kruezer doesn't come up he would be a good option.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:40 pm 
Horrie Clover

Garlett has had a shocking year but his record is very strong for a small forward, he is tracking very close to Ballantyne who people rate big time.

Jeff - 107 games, 183 goals, 363 tackles
Ballantyne - 104 Games, 176 goals, 322 tackles

Maybe Freo might like a 3 amigo's set up? A bidding war between Freo and Eagles would be nice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1854 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 48, 49, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54 ... 93  Next