Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Thu Jun 06, 2024 9:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:21 am 
Bert Deacon

GreatEx wrote:
Normally I'd prefer my team's coach didn't whinge about the umpiring but since in AFL it works (Paddy's 7 frees, Hawthorn after every Clarkson tirade) I say @#$%&! it, whinge away.

Exactly. I've had it with those bunch of amateurs at the AFL. Especially after bending over backward to please that sniper Clarkson. First, holding the ball; then playing for frees. Did he get fined for any of his comments?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 12:21 am 
Rod Ashman

deano35 wrote:
Beijing Blue wrote:
Heavs wrote:
I enjoyed Marc with a C taking advantage free kick from a young blokes efforts, shitting his pants, handballing to a bloke under pressure, getting pushed off a tackle like the pocket lint he is, and giving away a goal in that run of 5. Leadership.

Others won't hear of it but plenty of examples today of what posters have written about MM all season. Highlighted text says what has been happening all year. Like the pocket lint part.

Yeah but he had 23 touches they'll say...
Well 14 were handballs, only 8 contested and he had the least amount of metres gained by any midfielder on the ground.
Cripps spent most of the first half at full forward and had more metres gained.
Leadership

He ranked 17th of 44 players for meters gained. 12m less than Cripps, 3m less than Walsh. Gained more meters than Shuey or Curnow (they’re midfielders, yeah?) and nearly tripled the meters gained by SPS, who many have rated highly for his game.
Ranked first for us in disposals, third for marks and fourth for contested possessions.

Just the 1 clanger today too (Cripps had 7). For anyone who watched that game without bias, they would say Murphy was in our best 6-8 players.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

jim wrote:
79Vintage wrote:
Just listened to Teague's press conference. He seemed happy with our effort. Must be hard trying to get the team up for next week. He seems to be quite relaxed with the loss and with where we are at against a top team like the Eagles. With two very winnable games to come, he seems to think we are in with a chance, if we bring the same intensity to the contest. He didn't say this, it was the impression I got that we've already moved on to next week.

We're missing alot of best 22 against a side that may well win the flag.

I don't get caught up with pressers. It's about what is said internally. Coach's won't give you that much publicly.

Yep.
Very rare a coach hangs his laundry out at the presser.
There have been notable exceptions over the years, that's why they're notable.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 5:17 am 
Stephen Kernahan

cecil89 wrote:
deano35 wrote:
Beijing Blue wrote:
Heavs wrote:
I enjoyed Marc with a C taking advantage free kick from a young blokes efforts, shitting his pants, handballing to a bloke under pressure, getting pushed off a tackle like the pocket lint he is, and giving away a goal in that run of 5. Leadership.

Others won't hear of it but plenty of examples today of what posters have written about MM all season. Highlighted text says what has been happening all year. Like the pocket lint part.

Yeah but he had 23 touches they'll say...
Well 14 were handballs, only 8 contested and he had the least amount of metres gained by any midfielder on the ground.
Cripps spent most of the first half at full forward and had more metres gained.
Leadership

He ranked 17th of 44 players for meters gained. 12m less than Cripps, 3m less than Walsh. Gained more meters than Shuey or Curnow (they’re midfielders, yeah?) and nearly tripled the meters gained by SPS, who many have rated highly for his game.
Ranked first for us in disposals, third for marks and fourth for contested possessions.

Just the 1 clanger today too (Cripps had 7). For anyone who watched that game without bias, they would say Murphy was in our best 6-8 players.

Credit where it's due. He fired off one handball that was vintage stuff late in the game.
The problem is he is well past producing at this level regularly.
He needs to be managed, as does Eddie, who has not fired a shot for weeks.
Simmo seems to be able to go on and on, however.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:34 am 
John James

dablues wrote:
Still angry but in reality we were never going to win.

They thumped Collingwood and defeated Geelong. We did not disgrace ourselves. Take Kennedy and Darling out and let’s see how they go. We had too many key personnel missing and lost Martin who applies lots of pressure. Pitonett was not right either.

Just need to find a way to stop those run ons...

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:36 am 
Bob Chitty

Navy One wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:
Umpire Nathan Williamson(no.22) should be dropped

He should never, ever umpire a Carlton game again. Pure cheat.

You'll hear the better umpires call "He had no prior" when the opposing team appeals for a holding the ball free kick but good ol' hero Nathan just paid a free against Sammo. Not AFL standard .... go umpire your kids in the backyard mate. You're a cheat.

He is not a cheat. And we should be super careful of ever using that word for our umpires.
However, he us a poor umpire. I have seen him for years in the vfl and he pays a few terrible frees every game: he misapplies logic and way too often doesn't use common sense. What we used to call feel for the game.
His rationale to Plow in the goalsquare was that he had no choice but to pay the free against SPS. Of course he had a choice: ball up!
A classic case of young umpires being marked down in development leagues for not paying frees that are technically there. He is the worst in this regard and I hate it when we have him.
I hate feeling so powerless to do anything about the frees we do/don't get but we can't call umps cheats.
But gee my soft furnishings copped it yesterday.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:45 am 
Stephen Kernahan

SPS needed to go through with the facade of attempting to dispose of the ball. Pretend to hit the ball while Darling was holding him. That's the current interpretation and as professional footballers, they should know it. Then the umpire had no chance to pay the free.
The fact that another 20 occasions during there game no penalty was applied is the frustrating part.

Last edited by Blue Vain on Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:45 am 
Bob Chitty

Just heard an interesting stat on the radio. We laid 18 tackles inside our forward 50 and not one was rewarded with a free kick.

They didn’t give the full WCE inside 50 tackle stats but referenced two resulted in goals.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:54 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

When Levi took that mark and the ball was taken off him because the WCE player faked the push in the back the free kick count was 13-7
They took it straight forward kicked a goal and went out to 11 point lead
Free kick count ended up 14-12 but when the game was in the balance it was lop sided

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:59 am 
Rod Ashman

20 points up in the third quarter, 20 metres from our goals. Natinui takes the ball out of the ruck, tries to barge though as he does, gets tackled and fails to get boot to ball, play on!!!

Would have been 26 points up instead they get a goal immediately after this.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:
Eagles storm home after bright start by the Blues

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eag ... 55k2j.html

Quote:
Late in the first quarter, with Carlton leading by a goal, Sam Petrevski-Seton was penalised for holding-the-ball after he was pinned in a fierce tackle by big Eagles forward Jack Darling.

He was tackled as soon as he took possession of the ball and had no way to move either arm.

Darling not only received the free kick, but also a 50m penalty after at least one of the Blues near the play questioned the decision made by umpire Nathan Williamson.

When we finally get live games, one day, we need to remember this bloke

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Nathan Williamson is a name we shouldn't store away for a rainy day.

He is a now conversation and should be the target of our vitriol for his blatant bias against carlton this year, not just this round.

I watched the game with some Weagles fans and they couldn't believe their luck landing Umpire No. 22 Nathan "Cheats" Williamson.
His inconsistency and bias was on show, but its nothing new.

Would love a campaign against him.
Something like, we buy memberships to support our club but will wait for ticket purchases till we find out who is umpiring. If its No 22 "Cheats" Williamson, we will watch it on tv under heavy sedation.

He is seriously anti Carlton...and its not just holding the ball.

Ban the prick.
These umpires are paid handsomely.
Don't worry, there's plenty lining up to replace him and collect the bucks.
There's no shortage of umpires wanting the big stage.
Give it umpires who don't have psuchological issues not condusive to a fairly umpired game.

I'm sick of the pathetic umpiring.
I'm sick of what the AFL Commission has done to Australian Rules; our game.

My kids are sick of it. They are the future.

Last edited by bondiblue on Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:14 am 
Harry Vallence

A lot of people saying Eddie needs a rest, maybe he isnt kicking goals, but damn I love his tackle pressure. And way up the ground. Our delivery to our F50 is the issue eddie isnt kicking goals, not his skills.

IMO

PS Im Setting up a GoFundMe to pay the fine for Teague to spray the umps.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:16 am 
Bob Chitty

Blue4ever wrote:
20 points up in the third quarter, 20 metres from our goals. Natinui takes the ball out of the ruck, tries to barge though as he does, gets tackled and fails to get boot to ball, play on!!!

Would have been 26 points up instead they get a goal immediately after this.

That and Liam Ryan just dropping the ball after taking on the tackler (play on, goal) were egregious non-calls and they happened within 10 minutes of each other. There’s a 12 point swing in a game where we turned 11 points down at 3 quarter time. And then when you contrast that with SPS getting pinged for merely taking possession of the ball and no wonder we’re up in arms. I’m usually not that critical of umpires but the standard has been appalling across the competition this year and in recent games (vs West Coast and North most notably) we’ve copped the raw end of the deal. Wasn’t the reason we lost but it doesn’t help when you’re playing the best team in the comp, on their deck, in front of a partisan crowd and we’re down most of our forward line.

Last edited by david31 on Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:17 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Crippa wrote:
Just heard an interesting stat on the radio. We laid 18 tackles inside our forward 50 and not one was rewarded with a free kick.

They didn’t give the full WCE inside 50 tackle stats but referenced two resulted in goals.

I could be wrong but from memory, they received 2 frees from 5 inside 50 tackles

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:20 am 
Bob Chitty

Blue Vain wrote:
Crippa wrote:

I could be wrong but from memory, they received 2 frees from 5 inside 50 tackles

Correct. Absolutely no reward for the tackler, unless of course you’re Jack Darling and you tackle a player that picked up the ball a millisecond ago. And then we’ll give you 50 just to make sure you get maximum value for money. Very disappointing and a blight on the current game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:58 am 
Harry Vallence

BigGartos wrote:
Navy One wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

You'll hear the better umpires call "He had no prior" when the opposing team appeals for a holding the ball free kick but good ol' hero Nathan just paid a free against Sammo. Not AFL standard .... go umpire your kids in the backyard mate. You're a cheat.

He is not a cheat. And we should be super careful of ever using that word for our umpires.
However, he us a poor umpire. I have seen him for years in the vfl and he pays a few terrible frees every game: he misapplies logic and way too often doesn't use common sense. What we used to call feel for the game.
His rationale to Plow in the goalsquare was that he had no choice but to pay the free against SPS. Of course he had a choice: ball up!
A classic case of young umpires being marked down in development leagues for not paying frees that are technically there. He is the worst in this regard and I hate it when we have him.
I hate feeling so powerless to do anything about the frees we do/don't get but we can't call umps cheats.

This. He's not a cheat, just shouldn't be umpiring at this level. Some umpires love the chance to make a big call, makes them feel important. I think he may well be one of those types. As has been said, they're well paid, plenty more who would like his gig. Our soft furnishings were safe. Just as well we live well away from neighbors though, there was plenty of noise erupting from our lounge room.

Superstar players have always got an easier ride with the umpires over more average players (same as top teams against lower sides). Nic Nat has always played the same, goes back to his junior days no doubt. Grab the ball, try to barge through, then drops it if tackled; play on. It's bugged me for years. I find myself shouting at the TV "but he dropped it!".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 9:59 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

cortez wrote:
BigGartos wrote:
Navy One wrote:
SurreyBlue wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:

This. He's not a cheat, just shouldn't be umpiring at this level. Some umpires love the chance to make a big call, makes them feel important. I think he may well be one of those types. As has been said, they're well paid, plenty more who would like his gig. Our soft furnishings were safe. Just as well we live well away from neighbors though, there was plenty of noise erupting from our lounge room.

Superstar players have always got an easier ride with the umpires over more average players (same as top teams against lower sides). Nic Nat has always played the same, goes back to his junior days no doubt. Grab the ball, try to barge through, then drops it if tackled; play on. It's bugged me for years. I find myself shouting at the TV "but he dropped it!".

He has umpire 4 of our 6 losses and North game

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:04 am 
Craig Bradley

Two matters umpiring terrible
Aside from the obvious Samo htb which universally people think is wrong and particularly egregious example
No htb on Nic Nat cost us a goal to TDK
No holding the ball twice on Ryan gave them another
AFL really need to look at the umpiring in the West been terrible and biased for years
Secondly Murphy was one of our better players yesterday and if others had of played as well we would have got much closer
Don’t get the opprobrium here for him he has been a fine player and still is
Not above criticism but doesn’t deserve pile on here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:10 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

kingkerna wrote:
Navy Blue Horse wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
Heavs wrote:
FRO

it's true. you might be no 1 ticket holder for the MM fan club, doesn't mean we all have to buy in
When he plays shit I'll call it. I treat all players equally though, don't look at their age first.

Compare his game with others and tell me where he sits in today's game.

Whilst some of us have been producing facts for discussion, you have been subtlely sniping. A good example is what you posted in the first quarter in the game thread. I had a giggle, but understood where you were coming from, so I made light of it.

You dismiss the facts put up for discussion, call the "rubbish talk" (facts that is) and have attempted to turn a discussion with actual numbers into a war between 2 camps: Pro vs Anti Marc Murphy performance. Its not about that. We were discussing form, his age, extending his contract and leadership. Its a complex discussion.

Show me where you have said Murphy was shit when he was. I can't find it anywhere. Marc Murphy went missing in a sequence of games this year, not long ago: the figures tell us that. I didn't read anything from you, and you conveniently dismissed the numbers in our discussion, but happy to call us out as anti Marc Murphy posters and baseless.

So, whilst you're asking questions, I will engage you with this, not to bag MM, coz its not, but to see where you sit on this:

Marc Murphy started the game well for us and by the end of the first quarter was or close to our BOG.
By the 6 minute mark of the 2nd quarter, around the time I responded to your post, not to "jinx [Murphy], after 22 minutes of playing time, Marc Murphy had 9 disposals and 2 tackles.
He finished with 22 disposals and 3 tackles. He had 3 Tackles by half time.

What were his stats for disposals and tackles for the remainder of the game: 42 minutes of playing time? I'll tell you, 1 more tackle in the 3rd, and 14 disposals for the more than 2 and a half quarters, after the good start. That's nothing to write home about...and wanting to compare those stats with others???? Who? The kids under 22 yo and under? There was 7 of them playing.

Marc had a good first 22 minutes. Really good. He had most disposals in a team that faded away, again.

The way you are carrying on asking us to compare Marc's output with other players, you'd think he willed us over the line for a win.

We got comprehensively smashed in the 2nd half. I didn't think anyone showed greatness after half time, including Murph. Did you?.

In fact, as many have reported, and some of us agree, our leaders let us down, again, and the 19 point lead turned into a 22 point loss. Another 5-7 goal turn around by the opposition. Can't blame the kids.

The leaders, Cripps, Simmo, Docherty, Ed, Murphy didn't stop the rot, they were part of it in the 2nd half; no doubt.

That's not Murphy bashing, or Cripps bashing, or Simmo.... That's telling you Murph, like the other 4 leaders (by experience and age) failed to stop a negative trend, during games, which we have seen this year, almost every week since round 1. We should be asking questions on how to solve this problem. Lots of questions, on all of the leaders, all the players, because we are making progress and we haven't got time to make the same list management mistakes we did before the recent rebuild.

We are bereft of good leadership, and whilst we need the older players around to help guide the young, because our list's age profile, we ave to evaluate their importance on field too and we are 4 wins, 6 losses with the 4th oldest list playing week in week out.

Something has to give.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:12 am 
Rod Ashman

bondiblue wrote:
kingkerna wrote:
chubbyruss wrote:
Eagles storm home after bright start by the Blues

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/eag ... 55k2j.html

Quote:
Late in the first quarter, with Carlton leading by a goal, Sam Petrevski-Seton was penalised for holding-the-ball after he was pinned in a fierce tackle by big Eagles forward Jack Darling.

He was tackled as soon as he took possession of the ball and had no way to move either arm.

Darling not only received the free kick, but also a 50m penalty after at least one of the Blues near the play questioned the decision made by umpire Nathan Williamson.

When we finally get live games, one day, we need to remember this bloke

Nathan Williamson is a name we shouldn't store away for a rainy day.

He is a now conversation and should be the target of our vitriol for his blatant bias against carlton this year, not just this round.

I watched the game with some Weagles fans and they couldn't believe their luck landing Umpire No. 2 Nathan "Cheats" Williamson.
His inconsistency and bias was on show, but its nothing new.

Would love a campaign against him.
Something like, we buy memberships to support our club but will wait for ticket purchases till we find out who is umpiring. If its No 22 "Cheats" Williamson, we will watch it on tv under heavy sedation.

He is seriously anti Carlton...and its not just holding the ball.

Ban the prick.
These umpires are paid handsomely.
Don't worry, there's plenty lining up to replace him and collect the bucks.
There's no shortage of umpires wanting the big stage.
Give it umpires who don't have psuchological issues not condusive to a fairly umpired game.

I'm sick of the pathetic umpiring.
I'm sick of what the AFL Commission has done to Australian Rules; our game.

My kids are sick of it. They are the future.

While I would never condone such stupidity, if I was silly enough to bet big dollars on AFL games, and witnessed this level of ineptitude, I could see how death threats and abuse are justified by those making them

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 207 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next