Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 8:24 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 80  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Clayman wrote:
Get Acker

With Brad Johnson as a package

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:31 pm 
Harry Vallence

haha you can't just randomly choose the best assistants in the game and decide they can come to our club. Most of them are contracted and have certain goals with the club they are currently working for. Sanderson is probably the next Geel coach why would he go elsewhere?

For me, I would like to see Teague as defensive coach and Kirk (if he is interested in coaching) as the development coach. Kirk just demands respect from everyone around him. If Kirk is not interested then I would be happy with someone like a Simon Goodwin, why not, give him a go once they are sure he is up to it.

Forwards coach is hard because everyone thinks that they would have had to of played in the forward line as a player but I don't think that's the case. I think some of the best defenders would make great forwards coaches.

Does anyone know other assistants that are 100% out of contract? I would love Laidley but don't know if he is available.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:38 pm 
John James

From bit part player to B&F Champ to Player/Coach in the VFL to Coach of back to back Grand Finalists Bullants. Teague looks like he is going to be a Senior AFL Coach one day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:09 pm 
Robert Walls

I'd like to see Teague get a go. I rate him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:47 pm 
Craig Bradley

samblueboy wrote:
From bit part player to B&F Champ to Player/Coach in the VFL to Coach of back to back Grand Finalists Bullants. Teague looks like he is going to be a Senior AFL Coach one day.

his results with the bullants certainly suggest he is worth a shot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 5:34 pm 
Garry Crane

ScottSaunders wrote:
samblueboy wrote:

his results with the bullants certainly suggest he is worth a shot

Gotta say I was impressed with message he gave to the players at 3qtr time.
Completely cliched and typical speak, but delived with direct honesty that the players responded well to. In teh interview with Sauce after the game he said the 'Ants team had a great spirit and unity, which has to be somewhat a challenge with effectively a split list. Credit to Teague for some of this (also suggests good administrative bonding between teh Ants and Blues).

Not sure if he has the capability to step up to AFL level as I simply don't know his other credentyials or philosophies. On teh basis of personality though he seems to have respect.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:04 pm 
Rod Ashman

Get Goodwin - anyone who has worked under an outstanding coach like Craig must be rated.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:22 pm 
Ken Hands

gerry atric wrote:
Interesting moves. That's a fair portion of the coaching panel gone. Does that mean we got it wrong in the first place? Do they carry the can for our poor second half of the season? Did Ratts pick them, were they foisted on him, did he sack them or was it a committee or Icke/ Swann decision? I was never happy with the Lappo appointment. No experience, just seemed too much like jobs for the boys, but did we learn from this? Do the people who appointed him reflect on why they appointed him and why he wasn't the success they hoped for? Not sure if that is something Carlton does well. I am a little surprised at Monty going. I thought he was being touted as a possible senior coach and was picked from outside the club presumably because he presented really well. I think we come up against Ratts inexperience again, the only experienced assistant we had was Riley because Ratts just didn't know any experienced coaches well enough to know he could work with them, beacuse he had had so little experience in AFL coaching.

I hope these were Ratts decisions and not made at a corporate level. I don't think Ratts is going to take us to a flag, but he has got a pass mark so far and 2011 will show if we are going ahead or marking time. But if he is having assistant appointments and sackings done above his head he is on a hiding to nothing. You get the absolute best coach available after exhaustively judging the field (we didn't do that) then you absolutely back that coach and absolutely trust his appointments. If he proves not to be up to it, you move him on.

Ratts needs to be absolutely free to create his own team, or 2011 will be compromised.

Maybe Leading teams had some input into these decisions they have been in the box/bench recently no:?:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:48 pm 
Robert Walls

Captain Dan wrote:
Wayne Brittain should be looked at in my opinion.

Absolutely agree. Go back and watch our 2000 year when he was matchday coach. Kouta rates him highly as a tactician.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:11 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

ryan2000 wrote:
but i'm guessing Wiggo will be given Harvey's role.

Is my sarcasm detector switched off, or am I missing something here?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:17 pm 
formerly Fevola

No more Carlton people please. We need some ideas from other clubs..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:53 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Probably going to be hounded down by the anti-Carlton crew, but I really hope Rohan Welsh puts his hand up for forward line coach. Rohan is very knowledgeable about the game, has coached in the TAC for years now taking Calder to a flag and more recently left Oakleigh to take charge of Vic Metro. Missed out on the Saints Development Coach gig a few years back...not sure if he's put his toes back in the water since, but would be a very good fit at Carlton and top bloke to boot.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:22 pm 
Craig Bradley

I too like the idea of looking to some of the elite junior coaches (if you can't poach the better credentialed assistants from the more successful clubs). The fact that Rohan Welsh has some history at Carlton is a bonus.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

Drewgirl wrote:
No more Carlton people please. We need some ideas from other clubs..

i got to say, this approach is as stupid as appointing someone just becuase they have a carlton background.

you get the people that best fit the criteria set out. period. if they are carlton people, then good luck, if not, so be it.

if teague wasnt associated with carlton, and we where looking at an up and coming coach, who has coached a VFL side to the last two grand finals, many would be falling over themselves to get him on board in some role or another, to rule him out becuase he is associated with carlton is simply absurd.

Last edited by ScottSaunders on Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:27 pm 
Harry Vallence

Stefchook wrote:
I too like the idea of looking to some of the elite junior coaches (if you can't poach the better credentialed assistants from the more successful clubs). The fact that Rohan Welsh has some history at Carlton is a bonus.

Would have had more history at Carlton if he didnt jump off a bridge in San Fransisco during an end of season players trip and broke his ankle.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:47 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

FFS, please just get the best in the business.

There must be plenty of very good assistants with other teams we can look at poaching.
Surely there would be some up and comers I've never heard of, just as I hadn't with Neil Craig.

CFC....just get the best.

The prize to come to Carlton is a good chance at a flag with the right recruitments this year.
I just want a big defender for the backline coach to weave his magic.

I reckon the forward line and options would be salivating for any good candidate.

And as for the midfield and ruck.....we have a good story to see.

When you add our heritage to the mix and Visy Park elite training facilities and Cordy...

CFC is a :gift: from heaven

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 11:44 pm 
Bruce Comben

Peter Sherry wrote:
John Barker has recently left the Hawks and was also forward coach at the Saints. Worth considering

I have 100% confirmation that John barker is currently talking to carlton FC about a coaching position. Remember this post....

Please Blues don't get barker!! :banghead:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:06 am 
Ken Hands

First of all, thanks to the three coaches for their efforts and part in building CFC back into the club it should be.

I am pleased however that there is going to be some turnover in the assistants coaches area as I think we need to improve our development and forward coaching side of things, and Ratts needs someone with a lot of game day nous to help out.

Would be pleased to see Wayne Brittain at least considered. Got shafted a long time ago and blamed for things that largely weren't his fault.

Peter Sumich (WCE assistant) is very well regarded and someone I believe we looked at previously. Would be pleased if he got a go.

Am a fan of Laidley joining in an assistant role as I think he would help develop a harder edge and on the strategy side of things.

Would also be pleased to see Peter Dean back in the fold organising our backline. And on the Carlton side of things, whilst I don't get to see any Bullants games, Teague seems to be doing well and wouldn't be unhappy to see him working with us either.

Looking forward to seeing who we appoint, and hope we really do go for some quality assistants.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:28 am 
Stephen Kernahan

I'll be interested to see whether Bradley continues in his current role or if he steps up to full time. The dynamic between Braddles and Laidley will also be interesting if we manage to secure Laidley. Both seem to like control.
Not as keen on Rohan Welsh as the Doctor.

I'd like to speak to Mark Neeld. With Bucks coming in, the main role at Collingwood wont be available for a few years and he's reasonably ambitious. I like his approach and the Pies rate him highly.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:06 am 
John Nicholls

Quote:
I'd like to speak to Mark Neeld. With Bucks coming in, the main role at Collingwood wont be available for a few years and he's reasonably ambitious. I like his approach and the Pies rate him highly

+1.

Never heard a bad word said about his coaching abilities and presents really well. Won't get anywhere near the senior coaching gig at Collingwood for some time now, if ever, so it might be a good idea to sound him out for a role at Carlton with a possible eye for our senior coaching gig should it come up at the end of next year.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1599 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 80  Next