Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 7:35 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:29 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Jarrad Waite

Awesomely quick

Awesome hands

Awesome

but.... I just wonder that while Lance, Fev and DeLuca all as forward options, if we shouldn't be trying to grow Waite's defensive game, so that if we need to, at a pinch, cover a KP role in defence, Waitey would be the option ahead of Lance or DeLuca.

I think we should consider playing Waite in defence next week on one of Collingwood's more crappy forwards.

This isn't a "could Waite be CHB?" thread.. rather....... I think we should be developing more flexibility with these blokes in case injuries during a match force our hand. Waite is the perfect choice. Might not be quite strong enough as yet, but as a hole-blocker..... he should start learning now

(and you too Brad Fisher)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:43 pm 
Bruce Doull

At first when I saw the title, I thought that you're a fan of the booty, and Jarrad just isn't draggin' a wagon.....
[sir mixalot]I Like big Waite and I cannot lie...[/sir mixalot]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 2:57 pm 
Rod Ashman

You also left out his disposal. His disposal is ordinary. I would like to see this improved before his defensive game is worked on.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:07 pm 
Harry Vallence

It's his disposal that is his problem - wasteful, errant, and often the wrong option.

He could be anything......

and that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 8:20 pm 
Harry Vallence

I think Waite does need to work on his disposal, but most of all, he needs to work on when to use his energy in chasing or going for the ball or man. At times, he seems to be exerting so much effort for little or no effect, thus he would be spent as the game wears on.

He plays a very taxing style of play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:03 pm 
John James

I think he needs to go to defence and be taken to the ball. He has a tendency to run around in circles and his disposal is ordinary. He is also entirely unpredictable to his teammates I would think.

I would draw a parallel with Mil Hanna in 1992 who was similarly talented and erratic like Waite, but went down back and came 2nd or 3rd in the best and fairest that year as he had the talent and athleticism to defeat most opponents one on one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 11:14 pm 
Rod Ashman

Yeah this could work but i dont wanna seen him chucked in the deep end and be put on sum1 that will be able to carve him up. Maybe on a teams 4th or 5th foward.

P.S:- Waites chick told me she thought his back side was fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:27 pm 
Laurie Kerr

well fullmont it is lolz....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:42 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Jarrad is slowly adapting to his change in body size and I believe he's not too far away from taking a game by the scruff of it's neck. For those who saw him in his earlier years at the club, he wasn't all that different to Raso...raw, skillfull and quick. The need to bulk up meant that Jarrad lost a touch of pace, but his developing football nous will soon make up for that and if he can just remain injury free and enjoy some good game time then the rest will take care of itself. He could be a Matthew Pavelich it's as a forward that his defensive skills need work....ala Hamill's work ethic in the forward line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 9:58 am 
Robert Walls

for the comparative amount of game time that deluca and waite have had, they contribute to the same level.

that is not to undermine either player or draw skill comparisons, but perhaps highlight that given his enormous potential waitey is not yet finding his groove.

i like Tyrants perspective in as much as taking him to the ball and getting him involved much more might help his development.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:40 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Doesnt have a position which isnt helping his game...I dont have a problem trying him down back and learning some defensive skills.
We have a dodgy backline without Thornton and thats a fact..Morell and Norman dont give me a feeling of complete security down there and I think you have to have some fall back options and Jarrad Waite should be taught to be one of them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:37 pm 
Geoff Southby

Elwood i think the problem is a little different - that he's been given a new position and any new position takes time to adjust to.

Waitey has been a hbf (first year on the list), then a wingman - he got his Risgin Star nomination as a winger, largely outside too, and now given his improved size and aggression, has been asked to take on a proxy CHF role. Its a role that has required a change from the spaces of the midfield to a lead up the ground role. Leading is a pretty tough skill, and it will take him some time to get used to it. This is why I think tehy haven't tried him back given Thorny's injury - learning to play CHF is a tough ask and will take Jarrad some time. Its worth persevering with though, if he plays further up the ground, then ADL and Whits can play close to goal, both areas where they can be more dangerous.