Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Oct 28, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:31 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GreatEx wrote:
:lol:

Yeah, that pile driver into the shins was an unbelievable miss by the umpire. Walsh very lucky his season wasn't ended.

bondi wrote:
70 points from stoppage is a blip? Maybe. Maybe not. I see a leak which needs to be plugged. Asking a friend if they can give me any ideas.
Have you got thoughts on that?

I mentioned Young in the Bulldogs thread, but more in a wistful way, thinking he could have been the perfect dual-purpose band-aid if only he had developed the way we wanted. As it stands, I don't trust him enough. So if we're talking insurance, it has to be Pitto. He can still make a nuisance of himself in defensive marking contests even if he doesn't mark or spoil many.

I was listening to Almost Blues Brothers this arvo and they said in the pre-game presser that Vossy had said the Hewett-for-Cotters swap was an attempt to address GWS's speed. If that's true, I agree with the ABB reaction that we should be setting the agenda and letting the Giants worry about us, not the other way around.

70 points from stoppage does feel like a bit of a blip, but it was also a perfect storm of many factors: Briggs figuring out a way to bully TDK, our midfield not working hard enough defensively and/or unable to react sufficiently to the shift in ruck momentum (this is where Hewett comes in), our KPD stud being hobbled making it easier for GWS to get bang for their ruck (see what I did there), and - at least at the start of their run - a too-casual approach when we thought we had them on toast.

I thought Crusader made a good point about ruck stats being the most misunderstood in the game. I don't have the same level of involvement in the game as many on this forum, and watching on TV is a poor substitute for being at the game in many aspects, but I think I've got a decent understanding of what makes a good performance, and I don't think TDK had a good game despite great fantasy scores and being listed in the "Best" by most reports. Briggs destroyed him in Q2 and Q3. Pitto would have helped. Hewett would have helped. Chain mail armour on Weiters's thighs would have helped.

Yes that was said in the presser.

There was another hint in Vossy's pre game presser, or I was reading too much into it, that Pitto understood why he was left out. His response just seemed odd, to me like he wanted one ruck because he had to continue with TDKs given his form, whether for this game or whatever.

I thought TDK did well on the floor, and you may have noticed TDK was still in the midfield group when Kennedy and Harry went up into the ruck, maybe because Voss likes his ground ball work, plays like an extra mid, his reach, something he liked. That's the first time I felt that maybe just maybe one ruck, for now, for ever, who knows from Vossy. I hope I'm wrong, because 2 assets in the ruck, when one should be the contested bull or a CHF seems like over kill at the contest, and tells me something is not right with TDK, or he was out of his depth. I don't know. I'm looking for signs.

TDK did well around the ground, better than he did in the first 5 rounds imo, but he's a ruck, and I expect him to ruck.

I'm sure the Blueboys will hit GWS harder than they did in Q1-2 if we meet them in Finals. I'm hoping it was a blip too. Its certainly not a trend, but it spiked my attention.

Cru is a good observer. Knows the game.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 6:50 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Ollie Holland opponent for most of the game just won the Rising Star.

Hogan scored the 10 coaches votes.
I bet Harry wouldn't have if we had won.
Briggs Ward Cripps Buckley and Daniels all polled 4

Sent from my SM-F926B using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

I know Robert Walls isn’t in great shape at the moment but could someone convince him to write an art on Charlie Curnow?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 7:52 pm 
Bruce Doull

Well, I for one support the second ruckman theory, & maybe Matthew Kennedy is our man, although he's looking a bit banged up at the moment.

Second ruckman theory:

The location of Kennedy's wounds suggested that his opponent had stood behind him, but witnesses said that Briggs stood facing west, about a yard away from Kennedy, as he moved through the centre square facing east. This has led to the suggestion that a second ruckman actually fired the fatal hitout, a possibility supported by Chief Medical Examiner for the Carlton Football Club Andrew Russell, who stated that the fatal hitout was behind Kennedy's right ear and had been hit at a distance of approximately one inch. Other witnesses said that as Briggs approached, Kennedy was turning to his left, shaking hands, facing north and so exposing his right side.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

Get Grassy Knoll….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:15 pm 
Bruce Doull

Get Grassy Knoll….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:16 pm 
Bruce Doull

Ooooh 2 posts…..

spooky….!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:19 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

CK95 wrote:
Well, I for one support the second ruckman theory, & maybe Matthew Kennedy is our man, although he's looking a bit banged up at the moment.

Second ruckman theory:

The location of Kennedy's wounds suggested that his opponent had stood behind him, but witnesses said that Briggs stood facing west, about a yard away from Kennedy, as he moved through the centre square facing east. This has led to the suggestion that a second ruckman actually fired the fatal hitout, a possibility supported by Chief Medical Examiner for the Carlton Football Club Andrew Russell, who stated that the fatal hitout was behind Kennedy's right ear and had been hit at a distance of approximately one inch. Other witnesses said that as Briggs approached, Kennedy was turning to his left, shaking hands, facing north and so exposing his right side.

Good work CK!

What I want to know is how much the work of Gryan Miers affected us in Round 16.

This would explain the Miers-Briggs indications.

But the question remains…

Who was really on the grassy knoll?

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:20 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Three knolls!!!

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 8:23 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
I know Robert Walls isn’t in great shape at the moment but could someone convince him to write an art on Charlie Curnow?
Not quite Walls but Lloyd and Footy Classified had a dig at him

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:08 pm 
Ken Hunter

"Annoyed but not upset at the loss" is pretty accurate. I got over it pretty quickly.

bondiblue wrote:
missnaut wrote:
Bondi, I was attempting a bit of a joke!!

Wasn't solely aimed at you either, we had plenty of dual ruck discussion so didn't feel the need to really get involved.

If I don't want to read something or certain posters I just scroll past anyway.

I was embarrassed a bit.

Sorry - not my intention whatsover!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:00 pm 
Bruce Doull

GWS wrote:

What I want to know is how much the work of Gryan Miers affected us in Round 16.

This would explain the Miers-Briggs indications.

Nice :lol:

Sent from my moto g54 5G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:01 pm 
Bruce Doull

Where's ThePsychologist these days? Maybe he might know.

Sent from my moto g54 5G using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:15 pm 
Ken Hunter

on the couch resting....

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

what’s wrong with Wallsie? he was my grade six cricket coach and my sisters grade 4 teacher! tough but fair bloke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 3:50 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

diesel95 wrote:
what’s wrong with Wallsie? he was my grade six cricket coach and my sisters grade 4 teacher! tough but fair bloke.

He has a rare form of leukaemia. Found out in grand final week last year and was given 1-2 months to live unless he started immediate treatment.

Apparently it’s in remission at the moment which is great news.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 9:08 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

GWS wrote:
diesel95 wrote:

He has a rare form of leukaemia. Found out in grand final week last year and was given 1-2 months to live unless he started immediate treatment.

Apparently it’s in remission at the moment which is great news.

Hope Wallsie pulls through- rated by our friend Moshe25 as the best Carlton Centre Half Forward of all time - there can be no higher accolade.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 10:52 pm 
Rod Ashman

diesel95 wrote:

Was that at Park Orchards Primary School?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 10, 2024 11:53 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Sydney Blue wrote:
GWS wrote:
Not quite Walls but Lloyd and Footy Classified had a dig at him

If we could get Walls to right a Matthew Pavlich type article about Charlie he might kick 16 goals.

:lol:

Winston Churchill

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 142 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next