Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next
 Post subject: Injury thread 2024
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:19 pm 
Wayne Johnston

keogh wrote:
Jack Martin’s body is made of wet cardboard
Watching him Thursday night he didn’t look fit to me
Has a pot
“ Footy fat “
If he and Cuningham are offered contracts the club is idiotic
Put simply both are liabilities
Martins has made 3.5 million and played bugger all
Not good enough

If Andrew Russell is at the club next year the club is idiotic. Yes these guys are injury prone but there is clearly something seriously wrong with our fitness program. It’s not just the injury prone guys getting soft tissue injuries…

The bloke has to go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post subject: Re: Injury thread 2024
PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:28 pm 
Rod Ashman

Get yourselves over to BF and be educated - our old mate Jimmae is rabbiting on about biomechanics (and the rest) … some things don’t change, like our injury list.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:40 pm 
Ken Hunter

I wasn't entirely sure it was Russell but I now feel we have no alternative.
We individualised the loads and gave him full control since Voss took over. Can't support him now.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 8:49 pm 
Geoff Southby

this is a bit of a topic close to me. it's hard to stay silent, but...

it's a combination of russell flogging them, a clueless physio dept & the club itself not open to new, progressive ways

i have physio and osteo mates with the lions who saw us back in 2020 in the covid hub, using 20 year old protocols on hammies. and he was shocked. it's 2024 and we're still running with the same people "fixing" the player's body's. our management of soft tissue is right around pub league level.

i struggle to outright just blame russell, bcos i know for a fact he tried to implement a few things when he came on board from hawthorn, and the club basically told him no, not to change that, we've always done it like this and we're not stopping that now.

that arrogance if you will, combined with our physio department's complete incompetence and lack of knowledge is conspiring to kill our season dead.

it's pretty hectic.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:07 pm 
Rod Ashman

Braithy wrote:

it's a combination of russell flogging them, a clueless physio dept & the club itself not open to new, progressive ways

i have physio and osteo mates with the lions who saw us back in 2020 in the covid hub, using 20 year old protocols on hammies. and he was shocked. it's 2024 and we're still running with the same people "fixing" the player's body's. our management of soft tissue is right around pub league level.

i struggle to outright just blame russell, bcos i know for a fact he tried to implement a few things when he came on board from hawthorn, and the club basically told him no, not to change that, we've always done it like this and we're not stopping that now.

that arrogance if you will, combined with our physio department's complete incompetence and lack of knowledge is conspiring to kill our season dead.

it's pretty hectic.

i'm on no way disputing what you are saying, but surely the review would have picked this up and rectified it, one would hope? i would have thought the old arrogance would have been washed away by now

i do recall reading that when russell came over he tried to implement things and was over ruled, but that was a few years now, and we do actually seem to be getting worse with our injuries, not better - case in point, motlop. hurts his toe, then does a hammy at training

regardless of who is to blame, we as supporters want someone to blame, and russell is the most obvious target

so i'm blaming him

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:16 pm 
Bob Chitty

bender wrote:
Braithy wrote:

it's pretty hectic.

i'm on no way disputing what you are saying, but surely the review would have picked this up and rectified it, one would hope? i would have thought the old arrogance would have been washed away by now

i do recall reading that when russell came over he tried to implement things and was over ruled, but that was a few years now, and we do actually seem to be getting worse with our injuries, not better - case in point, motlop. hurts his toe, then does a hammy at training

regardless of who is to blame, we as supporters want someone to blame, and russell is the most obvious target

so i'm blaming him

My understanding is the 2021 review found that Russell was being overruled (largely by Teague and the coaches who were desperate). Since the end of 2021, Russell has had his way and the fitness program has been run by him, uninterrupted. 2022 was bad for injuries. 2023 ditto, until late in the season. 2024 has been bad again. Time to move on. Try someone new in this role. Take out a few of the usual injury prone types too who are wasting cap space and a list spot.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:24 pm 
Geoff Southby

david31 wrote:
bender wrote:
Braithy wrote:

it's pretty hectic.

so i'm blaming him

My understanding is the 2021 review found that Russell was being overruled (largely by Teague and the coaches who were desperate). Since the end of 2021, Russell has had his way and the fitness program has been run by him, uninterrupted. 2022 was bad for injuries. 2023 ditto, until late in the season. 2024 has been bad again. Time to move on. Try someone new in this role. Take out a few of the usual injury prone types too who are wasting cap space and a list spot.

yeah, maybe russell has total autonomy now? i don't know.

i know the physio's failure here is absolute and profound. and imo is more of a liability than russell at this point.

all the reinjuires are bcos of the rehab dept ... they're not fixing the players and they're sending them back into contact, too soon.

it's a tricky and shit situation.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:25 pm 
Craig Bradley

Martin plays one game in 9 months and he injuries himself again
Hamstring Calves
The guy simply doesn’t have the body to
Play AFL
Ditto Cuningham
Yes we need to look at our fitness coach
But also to not throw the kitchen sink at injured prone players

I never forget reading an article about Craig Bradley having hamstring issues in his latter years
He actually changed his seat settings in his car to possibly alleviate future hamstring issues
In short he was the ultimate professional
He left no stone unturned to be the best
Martin is the opposite
His body shape hasn’t changed since he was taken at number one as an 18 year old
Surely the durability of a player is partly the responsibility of that player
You can’t blame Russell for everything
Ditto McGovern

Last edited by keogh on Wed May 15, 2024 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 9:27 pm 
Geoff Southby

keogh wrote:
Hamstring Calves
Play AFL
Ditto Cuningham

marchbank too.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:07 pm 
Robert Walls

The sad facts

Martin played 48 from a possible 101 games (incl 3 finals)
Williams 23 from 78
Marchbank 53 from 163
Cunningham 56 from 178
McGovern 61 from 122
Note: doesn’t accomodate games they may have been fit and not selected (perhaps cunners and Marchy)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:14 pm 
Bruce Doull

Startling ^^^…!

kindest regards tommi

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:22 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

kennyhunter wrote:
Get yourselves over to BF and be educated - our old mate Jimmae is rabbiting on about biomechanics (and the rest) … some things don’t change, like our injury list.
If it's all the same to you...

Think I'll give it a swerve!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:38 pm 
Robert Walls

bender wrote:
Braithy wrote:

it's pretty hectic.

so i'm blaming him

Go ahead and blame him
While you do it, give him credit for keeping a good chunk of the list up and about most weeks carrying the load for a handful of guys perennially injured.
And while you do it give him some credit for getting Charlie and Sam on the park when many said they struggle to play to their potential

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:45 pm 
Bruce Doull

london blue wrote:
The sad facts

Williams 23 from 78
Marchbank 53 from 163
Cunningham 56 from 178
McGovern 61 from 122
Note: doesn’t accomodate games they may have been fit and not selected (perhaps cunners and Marchy)

I feel sorry for these guys.

They are in a professional environment, I am sure they would rather not be injured.

We should be providing professional programs, rehab, recovery etc etc to ensure they can perform at the highest level possible.

Very easy to target them and say their bodies aren't up to it etc etc but why?

Especially with repeat injuries, WHY !?!?

If we are doing the same thing over and over again with the same players for the same injuries and getting the same results then we are bloody stupid and we have actually failed these guys.

We surely have to be looking at all aspects of our fitness, injury management, performance program etc-

There clearly is gaps and failings in whatever it is we are doing.

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:49 pm 
Harry Vallence

london blue wrote:
The sad facts

Williams 23 from 78
Marchbank 53 from 163
Cunningham 56 from 178
McGovern 61 from 122

Pretty horrifying figures, even allowing for Williams missing a season with a knee injury. At least Cunningham came to the club as a young recruit, unlike all the others. Hard to make a case for keeping any of them other than McGovern, who at least has been fairly durable in recent times.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 10:51 pm 
Craig Bradley

Braithy wrote:
keogh wrote:
Hamstring Calves
Play AFL
Ditto Cuningham

marchbank too.

Martin, Marchbank, Cuningham… they’re obviously ‘character’ guys. They’ve all been given contract extensions despite their injury history. I don’t think you can hang them on AR.

Ditto for the ACLs that we have. Josh Gibcus is the opposite - that one is 100% on player & conditioning staff.

Pittonet & Fogarty have broken bones. Can’t do much about that.

Sam Durdin has a variety of ailments. Suspension & KO would almost fill his bingo card. Again, it’s a big ask to make strawberry jam out of dog shit.

Saad has hardly missed a game since he got here.

Cerra was a late withdrawal prior to the Crows game, missed three weeks, played a full game against the Filth, then re-injured before 3/4 time against Dees… if there is a bellwether, he’s it.

Motlop is a new one. Ripping a hammy while in a conditioning block is… not good. Perhaps Martin makes strike two for the conditioning block.

Williams… what to make of this bloke?… arrived fat in 2021, turned it around BIG TIME in 2022, got a terrible injury 8 weeks into that season, but made it back before year’s end. Pre-season ACL for 2023. Back for 2024 & looks committed to the role, but maybe playing a touch within himself?… as if we’d know… I want to give AR a pass here. Williams has spent a lot of time off his legs.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2024 11:09 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Williams’ cousin is going out with one of my stepdaughters. He’s an absolutely beautiful young guy but life is throwing shit at him at the moment. And from what I can tell the shit appears to be completely unjustified. But he’s a totally stand up guy and we’re trying to help him through it.

Sometimes things are unfair.

And that’s no doubt true for a number of our perennially injured.

I don’t know how you rationalise these things but I have faith in the current structure of the club to sort it out.

I think if Cook or Voss had a really deep seated concern around injury management I find it hard to believe there wouldn’t be any action taken.

Mort Sahl

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 8:47 am 
Craig Bradley

Don't the AFL want to reduce the size of list's ?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:12 am 
Robert Walls

GWS wrote:
I think if Cook or Voss had a really deep seated concern around injury management I find it hard to believe there wouldn’t be any action taken.

I think this often but geez it's hard not to question what's going on over and over again. In Voss and Cook we trust!

Also all the best to your stepdaughter's partner

Post subject: Injury thread 2024
PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2024 10:19 am 
Rod Ashman

GWS wrote:
Williams’ cousin is going out with one of my stepdaughters. He’s an absolutely beautiful young guy but life is throwing shit at him at the moment. And from what I can tell the shit appears to be completely unjustified. But he’s a totally stand up guy and we’re trying to help him through it.

Sometimes things are unfair.

And that’s no doubt true for a number of our perennially injured.

I don’t know how you rationalise these things but I have faith in the current structure of the club to sort it out.

Agree that Cook and Voss would be getting to the bottom of it.
Voss appears more relentless than ever in his pursuit to win us a flag.
Clearly there is a problem - too many soft tissue injuries and recurrences to be dumb luck. But there are many layers to work through to get to the bottom of the problem.
AR must be responsible for the overall program. But I imagine specific Physios will be managing injury recover and preparation for return. And then there are the players themselves - some have injury prone body parts, some don’t work hard enough, some push themselves too hard. Not to mention the coaches and their influence.
I have to believe that the club leaders will be getting to the bottom of it.

Hopefully, we can get through this period with a few more important wins and put ourselves in a good position come finals with a fully fit contingent of players when it counts the most!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 672 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 34  Next