Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:15 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 93  Next
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:26 am 
Harry Vallence

showbag wrote:
FarmerBlue wrote:
Why would we be retaining Ed over Setterfield or Dow? Makes no sense to me

To drive Charlie to training.

Yup spot on

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:30 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie signed up and took less dollars on the condition Ed gets another year.
They're very close.

Yes it’s obvious, Charlie would definitely have the persuasive position to demand it.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:01 am 
Geoff Southby

Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if Charlie signed up and took less dollars on the condition Ed gets another year.

I hope not. List spots are too valuable to be used like that.

A fit Ed can play inside, outside, forward or full lockdown. The other blokes can’t.

He doesn’t need to ride Charlie’s coattails.

He turns 33 next month and didn’t play a game this year. He is very fortunate to still be on our list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:07 am 
Stephen Kernahan

aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

The reigning premier is about to list a player who wont be close to their best 22, so they can secure a draft pick. And a number of other clubs were fighting for the opportunity.
If I was last manager and Charlie told me he'd commit long term to the club for reduced money if we gave Ed another year, I'd jump at it every day of the week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:08 am 
Geoff Southby

As I asked in another thread, does anyone know what happened to the last SOS boy?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:13 am 
Geoff Southby

Blue Vain wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

The reigning premier is about to list a player who wont be close to their best 22, so they can secure a draft pick. And a number of other clubs were fighting for the opportunity.
If I was last manager and Charlie told me he'd commit long term to the club for reduced money if we gave Ed another year, I'd jump at it every day of the week.

We’re not in the same position as Geelong. Every spot on our list matters. Ed could stay at the club in another role - eg. playing VFL assistant coach, development coach - if Charlie can’t cope with big brother not being around (which is a bit of a worry in itself, but that’s another story). Ed doesn’t need to occupy a spot on our list. I would have prioritised the retention of Setterfield or bring in a new player via DFA or rookie draft.

This is not a dig at Ed because he’s been a good servant of the club for over a decade.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:25 am 
Harry Vallence

Blue Vain wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

I think your underestimating Bowes. When fit he can really play

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:56 am 
Rod Ashman

Teddy Hopkins wrote:
As I asked in another thread, does anyone know what happened to the last SOS boy?

If I recall it was something to do with bone vibration.....nasty injury.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:01 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Vain wrote:
They're very close.

I think this theory has merit.

Note: Its only a theory before anyone gets too twisted with the thought.
Plus, Ed's contract has not been discussed in the public domain.

I'm sure Ed is the type of character who would rather create his own destiny without the help of his younger brother.
I'm also sure he's the type of player the club, and Luke Power would like around his developing troops in the VFL.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:15 pm 
John Nicholls

bondiblue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
They're very close.

I think this theory has merit.

Note: Its only a theory before anyone gets too twisted with the thought.
Plus, Ed's contract has not been discussed in the public domain.

I'm sure Ed is the type of character who would rather create his own destiny without the help of his younger brother.
I'm also sure he's the type of player the club, and Luke Power would like around his developing troops in the VFL.

I have also considered this and think it is likely.

BUT, I have a belief in our administration today that I have not had in 20 years, so I am comfortable that it is not to the club's detriment now or into the future.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:20 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Even if Ed doesn’t play a senior game this year - it’s a good move as it only settles his brother, he also sets great training standards and will provide good leadership amd mentoring of our VFL side.

:thumbsup:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:59 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

I agree with 'sue on this one. Yes I know it's not exactly the same situation as different types of players but the principle remains the same to me.
We drafted BSOS and then his buddy to keep him happy. We shouldn't be keeping people on lists when there are others more deserving and more important to the side just to appease a player. I would have liked to have think that we've moved on from that and our culture is much better now.
As I said, not the exact same as Charlie is a matchwiner who'll play a big role in our next few premierships. I've gone on record to say how much I love Ed. Been a great leader of the club but his time at AFL level is up. Much better served having him on our VFL list probably as captain and not on the AFL list.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:03 pm 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
Even if Ed doesn’t play a senior game this year - it’s a good move as it only settles his brother, he also sets great training standards and will provide good leadership amd mentoring of our VFL side.

Ed can do those things without taking a spot on our AFL playing list. He strikes me as a good man to keep around the club as a development coach or VFL captain.

A separate question - why does Charlie need his big brother to settle him? Charlie is in his mid-20s and been in the system for seven years. He has signed a long term contract with the club - at some point his brother won’t be there, so what happens then?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:06 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

aboynamedsue wrote:
AGRO wrote:

Ed can do those things without taking a spot on our AFL playing list. He strikes me as a good man to keep around the club as a development coach or VFL captain.

A separate question - why does Charlie need his big brother to settle him? Charlie is in his mid-20s and been in the system for seven years. He has signed a long term contract with the club - at some point his brother won’t be there, so what happens then?

I forgot to add he would be a great “break glass option” in case we lost a Hewitt, Kennedy or Walsh as we did in the last few rounds this year - might have been the difference of .6% which cost us a finals spot.

Couldn’t have done that if he wasn’t on the list.

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:17 pm 
Craig Bradley

aboynamedsue wrote:
Crusader wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:

A fit Ed can play inside, outside, forward or full lockdown. The other blokes can’t.

He doesn’t need to ride Charlie’s coattails.

He turns 33 next month and didn’t play a game this year. He is very fortunate to still be on our list.

If he was just an inside mid, he wouldn’t be.

Setterfield was tried in every available position & was found to be just ok as an inside mid. Fully developed, there are no hidden strings to his bow.

The one advantage he has over Ed is value on the open market. For sale, as is. Pick 40 ONO.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:18 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

AGRO wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
AGRO wrote:

I forgot to add he would be a great “break glass option” in case we lost a Hewitt, Kennedy or Walsh as we did in the last few rounds this year - might have been the difference of .6% which cost us a finals spot.

The "break glass option" makes sense but personally think Setters now that we've decided he isn't a wingman but an inside mid, can be that person (assume we keep him of course).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:42 pm 
Rod Ashman

I'm sure all the necessary discussion on all options was had to ensure the greatest flexibility during the trade and draft was possible. It would not surprise me to learn that Ed himself said he would like another year but would happily retire if that was the clubs preference.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:54 pm 
Geoff Southby

AGRO wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
AGRO wrote:

He’s not much of “break glass option” if he’s already broken. :smile:

He couldn’t get on the park at all this year because of his knee and is having the dreaded old man calf injuries. Turns 33 in a few weeks and, by round 1 2023, won’t have played an AFL game for 18 months.

Anyway, I’ve said my piece. If he goes around again, good luck to him.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:03 pm 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Remember Ed is a super fit super hard working type and also goes hard at it and can tag. Not saying he's a star at 33 and is in our top 22 but as depth I can think of worse esp when your going for gold it's not the worst thing to have experience on the list.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:57 pm 
Geoff Southby

Paddycripps wrote:
Remember Ed is a super fit super hard working type and also goes hard at it and can tag. Not saying he's a star at 33 and is in our top 22 but as depth I can think of worse esp when your going for gold it's not the worst thing to have experience on the list.

This is a classical case as to why we are average
A successful club wouldn’t give him a contract
He is a list clogger
Why not recruit recruit a late bloomer like Atkins
A successful club would delist Setterfield
Narkle showed more than Setterfield but he doesn’t play the way Geelong want him too
No defensive side to his game

Dumb

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1841 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 93  Next