Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Tue Aug 11, 2020 5:31 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:30 pm 
Offline
Bert Deacon
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:04 pm
Posts: 545
hated losing like we did, was very salty after the game


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:04 pm 
Offline
Bob Chitty
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 836
Agreed re Harry. The Waite traits of running under the footy and the pretend efforts for show frustrate.

Feel like the 3 talls works as Martin is playing taller as the medium lead out forward role. He's too good to be doing that role. Prefer Martin goes into the guts full time and you have Kennedy do that role instead, and TDK for Harry or you revert back to 2 talls and rotate Martin and Kennedy's snaps.

I've potted Walsh on here before this season, and another poor one. A lot of selfish attributes coming through. Would like one of the line coaches to sit down with him and instill the idea that just because you can get the ball doesn't mean you should call for it. One thing that he's panicking and rushing his decision making, its another that its largely from touches he's willingly gone and got.

I feel like there's a large element of "if he weren't pick 1, they'd have dropped him".

Marsh probably had the best game of his career up until half time and was a reasonable match up in theory for Plowman. Wasn't close till he rolled his ankle. Agree with Cornes. Limited. Is the team structure that much better for him being there instead of an extra runner?

Murphy poor for reasons already well summarised by Heavs. Two bloody good games before it.

Really liked Philp's game. Might offer more than Fisher in that role. I'd like to see Zac given a run in the role SPS isn't doing at the moment.

The lack of situational awareness from both the umpires and teammates when Cripps was deliberately smashed after every disposal, downfield free kick to no advantage, allowed Saints to get numbers back. Play on at least once. Make them question the tactic and we took the bait every time. No one enforcing either.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:16 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:36 am
Posts: 4456
Rod Spooky Galt wrote:
Agreed re Harry. The Waite traits of running under the footy and the pretend efforts for show frustrate.

Feel like the 3 talls works as Martin is playing taller as the medium lead out forward role. He's too good to be doing that role. Prefer Martin goes into the guts full time and you have Kennedy do that role instead, and TDK for Harry or you revert back to 2 talls and rotate Martin and Kennedy's snaps.

I've potted Walsh on here before this season, and another poor one. A lot of selfish attributes coming through. Would like one of the line coaches to sit down with him and instill the idea that just because you can get the ball doesn't mean you should call for it. One thing that he's panicking and rushing his decision making, its another that its largely from touches he's willingly gone and got.

I feel like there's a large element of "if he weren't pick 1, they'd have dropped him".

Marsh probably had the best game of his career up until half time and was a reasonable match up in theory for Plowman. Wasn't close till he rolled his ankle. Agree with Cornes. Limited. Is the team structure that much better for him being there instead of an extra runner?

Murphy poor for reasons already well summarised by Heavs. Two bloody good games before it.

Really liked Philp's game. Might offer more than Fisher in that role. I'd like to see Zac given a run in the role SPS isn't doing at the moment.

The lack of situational awareness from both the umpires and teammates when Cripps was deliberately smashed after every disposal, downfield free kick to no advantage, allowed Saints to get numbers back. Play on at least once. Make them question the tactic and we took the bait every time. No one enforcing either.




Plowman pick 3 2012 draft
Marsh pick 77 2013 draft
Both at their second clubs
Recruiting is so important


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:21 pm 
Offline
Rod Ashman

Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2007 1:54 pm
Posts: 2232
Are we talking about the same Marsh who had 10 touches and kicked a point?
Hardly a dominant display


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:21 pm 
Offline
Bob Chitty
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 836
Arrived at second club with 3 other players for a late pick vs one of the last players added to an AFL list last year seems a more appropriate comparison.

Unless you're potting GWS recruiting?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:22 pm 
Offline
Bob Chitty
User avatar

Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:31 pm
Posts: 836
doofdoof wrote:
Are we talking about the same Marsh who had 10 touches and kicked a point?
Hardly a dominant display


Rolled his ankle on half time. Did not much after that.

Very good in the first half


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:42 pm 
Offline
Mike Fitzpatrick
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:36 am
Posts: 4456
doofdoof wrote:
Are we talking about the same Marsh who had 10 touches and kicked a point?
Hardly a dominant display

You missed the point


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:12 pm 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 2:15 pm
Posts: 15556
Location: North of the border
Different look at Harry contribution


Harry didn't have the best night but he's so important to our structure. Involved in a few scoring chances:

• Crashes pack, Blues get out & goal
• Smooth gather, set shot
• Draws a free, advantage, goal
• Marks down the line, set shot
• FWD50 pressure
• Spoil leads to goal https://t.co/FexI8dJP4X

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 11:21 pm 
Offline
Wayne Johnston
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:32 am
Posts: 8215
Sydney Blue wrote:
Different look at Harry contribution


Harry didn't have the best night but he's so important to our structure. Involved in a few scoring chances:

• Crashes pack, Blues get out & goal
• Smooth gather, set shot
• Draws a free, advantage, goal
• Marks down the line, set shot
• FWD50 pressure
• Spoil leads to goal https://t.co/FexI8dJP4X

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


Agree SB.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:55 am 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:35 am
Posts: 14338
Sydney Blue wrote:
Different look at Harry contribution


Harry didn't have the best night but he's so important to our structure. Involved in a few scoring chances:

• Crashes pack, Blues get out & goal
• Smooth gather, set shot
• Draws a free, advantage, goal
• Marks down the line, set shot
• FWD50 pressure
• Spoil leads to goal https://t.co/FexI8dJP4X


2 kicks, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 score involvement, 0 goal assists. 1 free against, 1 x 50 metre penalty against in 4 quarters of footy!
More impotent than important.

_________________
Looking forward to seeing our potential realised.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:39 am 
Offline
Trevor Keogh

Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:25 pm
Posts: 719
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Different look at Harry contribution


Harry didn't have the best night but he's so important to our structure. Involved in a few scoring chances:

• Crashes pack, Blues get out & goal
• Smooth gather, set shot
• Draws a free, advantage, goal
• Marks down the line, set shot
• FWD50 pressure
• Spoil leads to goal https://t.co/FexI8dJP4X


2 kicks, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 score involvement, 0 goal assists. 1 free against, 1 x 50 metre penalty against in 4 quarters of footy!
More impotent than important.

If you torture the data long enough it will confess.
SydBlue makes a valid point and one I made two weeks ago: H is contributing in some less obvious ways and is learning the game after a number of interrupted years. I'm not happy with his output but we are a bit quick to pot him. How many quality inside 50s did we have? How often did he compete for the same ball as the other key forwards?
He needs to deliver more but it is Gov who really should be delivering more.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:49 am 
Offline
Stephen Kernahan

Joined: Sat May 14, 2005 2:15 pm
Posts: 15556
Location: North of the border
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Different look at Harry contribution


Harry didn't have the best night but he's so important to our structure. Involved in a few scoring chances:

• Crashes pack, Blues get out & goal
• Smooth gather, set shot
• Draws a free, advantage, goal
• Marks down the line, set shot
• FWD50 pressure
• Spoil leads to goal https://t.co/FexI8dJP4X


2 kicks, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 score involvement, 0 goal assists. 1 free against, 1 x 50 metre penalty against in 4 quarters of footy!
More impotent than important.
I didn't say I agreed with it .
It was just how someone else saw it.
If the best they can find is a 1.49 minutes in a 1hour long game then that basically says the whole story

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:14 am 
Offline
Ken Hunter

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 10:35 am
Posts: 14338
BigGartos wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Different look at Harry contribution


Harry didn't have the best night but he's so important to our structure. Involved in a few scoring chances:

• Crashes pack, Blues get out & goal
• Smooth gather, set shot
• Draws a free, advantage, goal
• Marks down the line, set shot
• FWD50 pressure
• Spoil leads to goal https://t.co/FexI8dJP4X


2 kicks, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 score involvement, 0 goal assists. 1 free against, 1 x 50 metre penalty against in 4 quarters of footy!
More impotent than important.

If you torture the data long enough it will confess.
SydBlue makes a valid point and one I made two weeks ago: H is contributing in some less obvious ways and is learning the game after a number of interrupted years. I'm not happy with his output but we are a bit quick to pot him. How many quality inside 50s did we have? How often did he compete for the same ball as the other key forwards?
He needs to deliver more but it is Gov who really should be delivering more.


McGovern is well below standard but he's still providing double Harrys performance.

_________________
Looking forward to seeing our potential realised.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:10 am 
Offline
Rod Ashman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:17 pm
Posts: 2227
Blue Vain wrote:
BigGartos wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Sydney Blue wrote:
Different look at Harry contribution


Harry didn't have the best night but he's so important to our structure. Involved in a few scoring chances:

• Crashes pack, Blues get out & goal
• Smooth gather, set shot
• Draws a free, advantage, goal
• Marks down the line, set shot
• FWD50 pressure
• Spoil leads to goal https://t.co/FexI8dJP4X


2 kicks, 1 mark, 1 tackle, 1 score involvement, 0 goal assists. 1 free against, 1 x 50 metre penalty against in 4 quarters of footy!
More impotent than important.

If you torture the data long enough it will confess.
SydBlue makes a valid point and one I made two weeks ago: H is contributing in some less obvious ways and is learning the game after a number of interrupted years. I'm not happy with his output but we are a bit quick to pot him. How many quality inside 50s did we have? How often did he compete for the same ball as the other key forwards?
He needs to deliver more but it is Gov who really should be delivering more.


McGovern is well below standard but he's still providing double Harrys performance.



below his own lofty standards


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:13 am 
Offline
Rod Ashman
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:35 pm
Posts: 2330
If nothing else, important that Kennedy gets rewarded - and is seen to be rewarded - for his consistent form in the 2s.
Fair to say he’d offer more than Harry’s output. He has shown he can kick goals and from all reports has improved his speed, so is another midfield rotation option.
Give the bloke a chance.

_________________
I just want my old club back.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:06 am 
Offline
Rod Ashman
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:17 pm
Posts: 2227
kennyhunter wrote:
If nothing else, important that Kennedy gets rewarded - and is seen to be rewarded - for his consistent form in the 2s.
Fair to say he’d offer more than Harry’s output. He has shown he can kick goals and from all reports has improved his speed, so is another midfield rotation option.
Give the bloke a chance.



You're right bring in Kennedy but Harry needs a extended set of games and some coaching, mcgovern on the other hand needs to be shown he is a expensive senior recruit that needs to set the standard.
No more excuses or pampering we are not babies anymore.
If we need to gain some respect we need to drive our players to hate loosing and right now that doesn't seem to be the case unfortunately.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:23 am 
Offline
Horrie Clover

Joined: Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 pm
Posts: 321
Saints were to quick, to clean by hand and foot and to committed . They out pressured and out tackled us . We were chasing backsides all night , especially the first half .


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:39 pm 
Offline
Garry Crane

Joined: Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:51 pm
Posts: 250
i agree with waterman ,how many teams have beaten us because they are to quick /stronger than us ,happening for years .Our recruiters need to find strong quick players no more light weights.Eg how many goals are kicked because our tackles dont stick. For me nothing changed


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:59 pm 
Offline
Robert Walls
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:40 pm
Posts: 3262
A week is a long time in football.............Gibbons,Setterfield and Cunningham couldn't put two games together.Thats it in a nutshell to me.So long as the second tier players can't perform week in week out we are up against it.Not enough consistently contributing.Many hands make light work but i am afraid not enough want to put there hand up.

_________________
All my dangerous friends


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:15 pm 
Offline
Wayne Johnston
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:32 am
Posts: 8215
I've re-watched the game with a calmer. cooler head and here are some thoughts.

We weren't as bad as I thought. :oops: Some players had shockers but mostly I want to apologise to Docherty - not that he would care what I think.:) I was really harsh on him. Was again one of our better players and certainly didn't lower his colors.
Martin is a revelation and will be great to watch over the next 5-10 years. Seriously classy and hopefully he keeps it up.
Setterfield and Williamson are both building. They will have break out games soon. Some posters very, very harsh on Plowman. I think he is great.
Having said that my thoughts haven't changed on McGovern or Ed Curnow. Newnes isn't adding much unfortunately, needs to go.
Casboult and Jones had shockers. Casboult missed goal in the 1st was a killer.
Cripps - just play the ball. Ignore everything going on around you and hopefully the umpires will start to pay those frees for you. Just play the ball - you're that good when you do and can't be stopped!!! Please get your kicking for goal right. Again missed a crucial in the 3rd.
Our midfield rotations where better then I thought. Setterfield, Cuningham and Martin in particular in the center bounces were great to watch.
Our backline with SpS and Simmo was monstered by the Aints players. They have some serious size on them compared to us. This is an issue that needs addressing. I feel if we can get Marchbank up and running that will allow Plowy and Willy to play on the smaller/mid size mids and alleviate the size difference.

If we had kicked that goal late in the 3rd quarter when we had all the play, instead of them getting an easy one against the flow, this game would have ended differently and they will not beat us next time - as long as we come to play. It's obvious during the game we lose concentration and structure and the opposition punish us too easily. Must fix. Also, terrible start in the 4th quarter by us, which was disappointing and the umpiring, especially for some reason when the game was up for grabs late in the 3rd - horrendous against us.

Anyway worth watching the game again with a cooler head. We aren't that far off.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 168 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

All times are UTC + 10 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: CFC8795, Crusader, MPH78 and 20 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group