Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:09 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 82  Next
PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:17 pm 
Harry Vallence

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Jez1966 wrote:
Mosquito Fleet wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
ryan2000 wrote:
With the talk from Trigg on radio the other day that we will be looking to add one, maybe two marque players to our list and the end of next season, surely that means we are finally rid of the Dale Thomas contract???

Surely............ Please?????

Your wish will be granted. How else are we going to fit 2 Marqee players on our list in less than 12 months time.

by not doing the proper 4 years of pure drafting with an extensive development program that is needed.

it appears the club has now decided 2 years of ND is enough then we go bang with 2 quick fix marquees

one question- what is better - 4 number 1 draft picks or 2 marquee players?

i know what my answer is...

We already have 4 number 1 picked players :wink:

A marquee Free Agent does not cost you a draft pick, so why can't you have both

costs salary cap

After another 7 to 8 player clean out and possibly 1 or 2 trades next year , we'll have huge flexibility considering Gibbs , Thomas , Jones , Krooz a FA may all be gone .
We'll attract a few no doubt and I think will have to , with so many skilled youngsters needing quality mentoring and other teams improving and evolving their list so quickly we really have no choice.
Go Blues very exciting times ahead, 1 more good draft/ trade year and a few Marquee FA for a few years after that and will start to move upwards quickly.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:40 pm 
Rod Ashman

The big fish like Fyfe may not come free. I think Teddy pointed this out a while ago, that like Dangerfield, if Freo threaten to match the bid (which they would if they were only going to get a mid-first round pick for him, we'd have to do a trade. And I don't think we should be giving up next year's first round draft pick for another saviour.

Bring back the laurel wreath logo!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:56 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Siegfried wrote:
The big fish like Fyfe may not come free. I think Teddy pointed this out a while ago, that like Dangerfield, if Freo threaten to match the bid (which they would if they were only going to get a mid-first round pick for him, we'd have to do a trade. And I don't think we should be giving up next year's first round draft pick for another saviour.

But we will. MF said so.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:25 pm 
Rod Ashman

We need the following A or B graders

4 mids (2 are Gibbs Murphy replacements)
2 Kpfs (1 a grader and 1 back up)
2 rucks ( 1 a grader and 1 back up)

Even if we get 2 free agents, we need to hit 6 picks out of 8.
That says 2 years of drafting

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:18 am 
John Nicholls

Siegfried wrote:

Agree, but in this case I wouldn't think he'd be viewed as a "saviour", rather an important piece in a puzzle we're further along completing than we've been in 15 years.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:56 pm 
Garry Crane

Siegfried wrote:

Or if we come last we can walk Fyfe to the pre season draft even if freo match!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:13 pm 
Rod Ashman

verbs wrote:
Siegfried wrote:

But we will. MF said so.

No i did not say that

If i change my mind you will be the first to know

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:15 pm 
Rod Ashman

Michael Jezz wrote:

We need 2 more years of pure drafting

That is at least 8 quality picks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:30 pm 
Geoff Southby

Mosquito Fleet wrote:
Michael Jezz wrote:

We need 2 more years of pure drafting

That is at least 8 quality picks

4 x mids yes

2 x KPF no. We have McKay, Kerr, SOJ is supposedly now 193cm, and brother Ben comes next year. Maybe another 1. And Curnow C don't forget.

2 rucks no. Philips played well in his first year. Agree another 1.

So that makes 5 or 6. If they can really nail the draft it can be done in a year.

Who are GWS unloading in 12 months :smile:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:10 am 
Stephen Kernahan

Cazzesman wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-03/total-list-breakdown-all-the-key-stats

For the stats lovers.

where's Jimmea when you need him? :lol:

Regards Cazzesman

The 'players to debut' list is a bit scary with Adelaide, Geelong and Sydney all at the head of the list.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:12 am 
Stephen Kernahan

bondiblue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Obviously time will tell about how these guys develop, but for the first time in God knows how long the list is starting to look balanced, with genuine options for nearly every position on the park both from young talented players to old hands with the experience.

KPD: Silvagni, Rowe, Weitering, Marchbank, JGM, Macreadie
HBF/BP: Simmo, Docherty, Plowman, Byrne, Sheehan, Buckley, Williamson, White, Boekhorst
MID: Murph, Gibbs, Cripps, Kerridge, Cuningham, Curnow, SPS, Fisher, Pickett, Palmer, Graham
HFF/FP: Wright, SOSOS, Sumner, Thomas (final season), Polson, Lebois, Lamb, Smedts, Gallucci, Armfield
KPF: Casboult (last chance), Jones (last season), McKay, Kerr, Jaksch (last chance), C Curnow
Ruck (needs work still): Kreuz, Philips, Gorringe, Korchek

As well as our spine (which just needs another Cripps type and KPF).

Marchbank / JGM
Weitering / Macreadie
Cripps / 2017?
Curnow / B Silvagni (?)
McKay / Kerr

Gone are the days when we'd have too many of one type of player, and diddly squat in others. Whether this team develops to make us a power again remains to be seen, but I think we're now seeing the benefits of a dedicated list manager who knows what he's doing. Hopefully now the head recruiter duties can officially be handed over too.

I think the 2017 offseason will be another exciting one, with the last remnants of the Malthouse regime (Thomas, Jones) gone, leaving Bolton with 'his' team, and also giving us the ability to spend some cash on a free agent.

I think one way or another, we're in for a hell of a ride :thumbsup:

I've added a few you forgot about :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I still think that midfield group is still seriously lacking in the short term. Cripps & Murphy are elite; Gibbs is very good; E Curnow is a solid citizen; Graham, Palmer & Kerridge are depth types and the rest are kids. We won't have enough midfield options in 2017, and we will be uncompetitive if anything happens to Cripps, Murphy & Gibbs.

I think it would have improved the balance slightly if we'd selected a mature age midfielder in the rookie draft instead of Gallucci.

What could seriously change the dynamic in a positive way is if C Curnow develops into a genuine midfielder. I see him more as a forward who can occasional push into the midfield at this stage, but I wonder if the club intends to play him as a midfielder sooner and more often than we expect?

Here we go Rexy. The 2017 List Management thread!! Very exciting.

Glad you added those players abns. Palmer Smedts Curnow and Boekhurst should be great players for us in 2017 IMO.

All posts above make good sense, but lets remember that this young list is undeveloped but there is plenty of the class as you would expect with so many first round picks.
This group needs time together to build game sense, understand each others strengths and weaknesses and to build strength and stamina.

True what abns says about injury as that is critical to all teams but if our core midfield group of 5 starters stays fit, Murphy Cripps Gibbs Curnow and Cuningham we will be highly competitive and motivated for success.

I rate Gibbs higher than abns and Cuningham proved in last year's preseason and towards the end of the season he belongs and has the class and speed to match opposition mids too. If they can stay fit, they will be supported by Palmer Pickett SPS and Fisher, and Smedts and add Simpson to that group because I think he'll be the defensive wingman or extra run and link from the backline with Docherty, imo we have a pretty good midfield group, and I haven't included the like of Kerridge, Boekhurst or Charlie Curnow to that list or Byrne breaking the lines with Simmo and the Doc.

IMO the list is amazing in many ways: class, good spread of types, balanced and the fact it has been virtually put together in only 2 SOS trade/draft periods with another to come in 12 months to complete his plan for sustaines success.

AS soon as we replace Thomas Jones and Jaksch with a FA and a high end trade for 1-2 A grade midfielders it is only the ruck division that will need an overhaul to have a bonafide top 4 list, and then we add Ben Silvagni on board post 2018.

My big question marks is whether the likes of Casboult Kreuzer and Philips can improve, and McKay being ready to step up as an 18yo, which I doubt in 2017, therefore where the big man goals are going to come from in 2017.

I rate Gibbs higher than ABNS as well. ABNS is yet to pull on the jumper!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:13 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

Blue Sombrero wrote:
bondiblue wrote:
aboynamedsue wrote:
Donstuie wrote:
Obviously time will tell about how these guys develop, but for the first time in God knows how long the list is starting to look balanced, with genuine options for nearly every position on the park both from young talented players to old hands with the experience.

KPD: Silvagni, Rowe, Weitering, Marchbank, JGM, Macreadie
HBF/BP: Simmo, Docherty, Plowman, Byrne, Sheehan, Buckley, Williamson, White, Boekhorst
MID: Murph, Gibbs, Cripps, Kerridge, Cuningham, Curnow, SPS, Fisher, Pickett, Palmer, Graham
HFF/FP: Wright, SOSOS, Sumner, Thomas (final season), Polson, Lebois, Lamb, Smedts, Gallucci, Armfield
KPF: Casboult (last chance), Jones (last season), McKay, Kerr, Jaksch (last chance), C Curnow
Ruck (needs work still): Kreuz, Philips, Gorringe, Korchek

As well as our spine (which just needs another Cripps type and KPF).

Marchbank / JGM
Weitering / Macreadie
Cripps / 2017?
Curnow / B Silvagni (?)
McKay / Kerr

Gone are the days when we'd have too many of one type of player, and diddly squat in others. Whether this team develops to make us a power again remains to be seen, but I think we're now seeing the benefits of a dedicated list manager who knows what he's doing. Hopefully now the head recruiter duties can officially be handed over too.

I think the 2017 offseason will be another exciting one, with the last remnants of the Malthouse regime (Thomas, Jones) gone, leaving Bolton with 'his' team, and also giving us the ability to spend some cash on a free agent.

I think one way or another, we're in for a hell of a ride :thumbsup:

I've added a few you forgot about :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, I still think that midfield group is still seriously lacking in the short term. Cripps & Murphy are elite; Gibbs is very good; E Curnow is a solid citizen; Graham, Palmer & Kerridge are depth types and the rest are kids. We won't have enough midfield options in 2017, and we will be uncompetitive if anything happens to Cripps, Murphy & Gibbs.

I think it would have improved the balance slightly if we'd selected a mature age midfielder in the rookie draft instead of Gallucci.

What could seriously change the dynamic in a positive way is if C Curnow develops into a genuine midfielder. I see him more as a forward who can occasional push into the midfield at this stage, but I wonder if the club intends to play him as a midfielder sooner and more often than we expect?

Here we go Rexy. The 2017 List Management thread!! Very exciting.

Glad you added those players abns. Palmer Smedts Curnow and Boekhurst should be great players for us in 2017 IMO.

All posts above make good sense, but lets remember that this young list is undeveloped but there is plenty of the class as you would expect with so many first round picks.
This group needs time together to build game sense, understand each others strengths and weaknesses and to build strength and stamina.

True what abns says about injury as that is critical to all teams but if our core midfield group of 5 starters stays fit, Murphy Cripps Gibbs Curnow and Cuningham we will be highly competitive and motivated for success.

I rate Gibbs higher than abns and Cuningham proved in last year's preseason and towards the end of the season he belongs and has the class and speed to match opposition mids too. If they can stay fit, they will be supported by Palmer Pickett SPS and Fisher, and Smedts and add Simpson to that group because I think he'll be the defensive wingman or extra run and link from the backline with Docherty, imo we have a pretty good midfield group, and I haven't included the like of Kerridge, Boekhurst or Charlie Curnow to that list or Byrne breaking the lines with Simmo and the Doc.

IMO the list is amazing in many ways: class, good spread of types, balanced and the fact it has been virtually put together in only 2 SOS trade/draft periods with another to come in 12 months to complete his plan for sustaines success.

AS soon as we replace Thomas Jones and Jaksch with a FA and a high end trade for 1-2 A grade midfielders it is only the ruck division that will need an overhaul to have a bonafide top 4 list, and then we add Ben Silvagni on board post 2018.

My big question marks is whether the likes of Casboult Kreuzer and Philips can improve, and McKay being ready to step up as an 18yo, which I doubt in 2017, therefore where the big man goals are going to come from in 2017.

I rate Gibbs higher than ABNS as well. ABNS is yet to pull on the jumper!

Precisely :grin:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:22 am 
Craig Bradley

Outs: Walker, DVR, Tutt, Whiley, Smith, Foster, Gowers, Dick, Everitt, Wood, Jamo and Tuohy.

Ins: SPS, Smedts, Marchbank, Palmer, Fisher, MacReadie, Polson, Williamson, Pickett, Kerr, LeBois and A. Silvagni.

I'm reserving judgement on most of our draft picks until I see them at AFL level. But given Walker and Jamo were on their last legs. We've really only lost Tuohy from our best team. And pretty sure Marchbank, Palmer, Pickett and SPS will go straight into our best team, fitness permitting. That immediately looks like an improvement to our list. And with plenty of genuinely exciting young talent (especially from last year's intake), it's an exciting time to be a supporter. And if we can get another 3-4 long-term players out of our latest batch of draftees, we're well and truly on our way.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:13 pm 
Harry Vallence

Stefchook, very well said mate... great summary.

Will these players be in trouble at years end??
This only a question..

Sumner, Lamb, Graham, White, Gorringe, Jaksch, Jones, Armfield
Gallucci, Buckley, Sheehan, Rowe and Thomas???

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 4:03 pm 
formerly BlueRob

blueboy23 wrote:

This only a question..

Get rid of Thomas and offer a big contract to Betts ... one he should have got in the first place if it wasn't for the Madhouse. :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:32 pm 
Harry Vallence

Thomas will be gone but Martin or Fyfe are the ones we'll be chasing could be very interesting times this trade period.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:38 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

BigBlueWave wrote:
blueboy23 wrote:

This only a question..

Get rid of Thomas and offer a big contract to Betts ... one he should have got in the first place if it wasn't for the Madhouse. :grin:

Missed it by that much.

:wink:

Winston Churchill

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:21 am 
John Nicholls

bmaurizio wrote:
Thomas will be gone but Martin or Fyfe are the ones we'll be chasing could be very interesting times this trade period.

We won't be going for Martin, doesn't fit the culture. Fyfe though... :beer:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 pm 
formerly BlueRob

AGRO wrote:
BigBlueWave wrote:
blueboy23 wrote:

This only a question..

Missed it by that much.

:wink:

GRRR :mad: Still angry at the Madhouse appointment ... some things never fade.

When the Tigers sack Hardwick ... I hope they appoint the Madhouse! :grin:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:42 pm 
Harry Vallence

IMO,
Gone at years end,
Jones, Gallucci, Graham, Lamb, Gorringe, Korcheck, White, A.Silvangi and Sheehan.
Armfield to retire to coach.
Jaksch and Boekhorst will need to show something or both will be gone also.
Thomas could also go if he breaks down or struggles..
Casboult may walk as a FA..
Rough prediction will be 10 to 12 will go.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1632 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 82  Next