Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:29 pm 
Geoff Southby

Unlike some TCers I renew every year for the Hopkins family. Megabucks for a mediocre season year after year. This year I got a call AFTER RENEWAL and was advised that for every member that I signed or could be identified as being coerced into signing by me I would get 10% off next year's membership. Translates into big bikkies so they are trying.

But I told him I wouldn't even bother even though I know stacks of CFC supporters. Most former members who will not join for all the reasons mentioned on this thread. Asked him to tell the powers that be. He said it would be passed on as it wasn't the first or the tenth time he had heard the same thing.

By the way have met Mark LG. Seems to have his head screwed the right way. Whether that translates to the CFC turning the corner have no idea but at least there is hope unlike the last prez.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:33 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Yeah, what happened to that pack of privileged cauliflower?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:48 pm 
Ken Hunter

Apart from the thrill of making a donation to the club, what do interstate members really get out of membership?

Would love to know what Judd is getting paid this year; I reckon his staying on had something to do with keeping the membership ship from sinking completely. Still, it obviously has sprung a serious leak.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:49 pm 
Bruce Doull

sweet @#$%&! all bluedog

we get sweet @#$%&! all

Yeah but whatabout your whataboutism.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:51 pm 
Ken Hunter

That's more than I thought we got.

Until each team plays each other the same number of times, the AFL, as a fair dinkum competition, cannot be taken seriously.

He (Mr Swann) said the honour and pride associated with the club's traditional navy blue jumper was priceless.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:53 pm 
Rod Ashman

Supporting a football club is often something that passes down the family, generation to generation. I don't know the ages of people that frequently post on here, but there are many that seem to be relinquishing their memberships. If the club is losing members in, say the 40-60 age group they run the risk of losing the generation or second generation coming below that too.
I believe the club is trying to improve fan engagement and, as many people have mentioned, winning games of football will help significantly, but the club needs to rectify the issues that are leading to so many long term die-hard fans becoming disenfranchised.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:53 pm 
Ken Hands

[quote="Punter22"]Clubs with high membership numbers do a great job of making members feel the club is truly theirs and they are intrinsically part of it. Carlton has done a great job of making supporters feel like it is owned by a couple rich families and potential members are a necessary, unavoidable annoyance who should be grateful for the privilege.

Couldn't have said it better myself. That's the major reason I don't buy a membership. They don't give a shit about their supporters. New CEO & President but it's the same club.

Hitting the media hard in the off season will backfire big time.

What disappoints me most is the it doesn't have to be this way. We have so many latent fans which simply don't by memberships because the expectation hasn't been there. Once you lose the aura it's very hard to regain it. Not impossible but I can't see this leadership team achieving the desired turnaround.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:58 pm 
Ken Hunter

If Boekhorst doesn't perform early on, membership drive will suffer another blow.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:28 pm 
Alex Jesaulenko

Well you either need one of 2 things to attract members.
One is win
The other is entertaining d1ckheads
We don't win and we got rid of all the entertainers Fev Betts Waite Garlett Robbo .
All players who can put on a show when they wanted to.
Who is there now
They are all cleanskins that dont know how to win

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:26 am 
Trevor Keogh

grrofunger wrote:
sweet @#$%&! all bluedog

we get sweet @#$%&! all

At least its sweet grro!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:17 am 
Harry Vallence

Membership pack dispatch notice was on 30th January, stated it would come in 10-14 working days.
Still hasn't arrived.

Being an AFL member, one of them either the club or the AFL manage to @#$%&! it up every year.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 5:05 am 
Craig Bradley

Cretylus wrote:
....I thought that the Young Carlton professionals were on the job with its hand picked age limited membership and secret handshakes???

What's going on?

Maybe we need some grass roots members to run for the board....or do they need to be filtered by the Presidential nomination committee??

I remember driving up to Princes park recently, hoping I may get a glimpse of the boys training...no chance, closed session.

Ah the good old days when training was open and those long talk fests with the USC, often attracting players, coaches and staff for a chat...

I remember Hamil coming down one day, during a slump in form. we originally thought he was going to blast us for bagging him during training, Instead he asked one of the elders what he was doing wrong....

I remember Lance coming down to the gaming room and being asked to leave because he was under 18. (again)

I remember Sticks with his track suit seeking us out in 1994 after the first final loss to the cats. remember that final? the cats had 5 or 6 players out and we got hammered. sticks pleading for us to go easy during training that week because the young players can hear our rants echoing throughout Princes park. "we will be a different side this week" or words to that effect was Sticks's assurance. Of course the remaining of the week was civil and much quieter. Still got done by the demons the following week.

I remember one of the board members coming out of a meeting with Collo and the gang and saying we should as a club hand in the keys to the AFL. The true extent of our Elliott left debt isn't really known by the Carlton membership. Hovering around 23 million in about 2002, it is now around 5 million almost 13 years later.

We couldn't believe the sight of two ex Carlton premiership players hugging and kissing (on the lips ladies and gentlemen) late one night in the car park after a club function (bit too much to drink...that's how it was rationalised anyway)

never forget Big Jack with a glass of whisky in one hand late one night "dont worry boys, we have a big fish snared for next season" (referring to Pagan, although the rumour was we were chasing Matthews...and this was when Brittain still thought he had a job)

I remember Ronny Delulio and Jamie Dunlop about to ring one of our necks....it just got too much for them playing in the reserves whilst the seniors where losing as well....

Never forget Barrassi turning up one night for a club function and sharing his wisdom.. I have never seen so many questions fired at someone at the same time....It was like a door stop interview of the PM in Canberra...

cant do that anymore....

corporate game now ladies and gentlemen...sterile, arrogant and predictable.....even Big Fev was ejected...no room for genuine characters anymore.....cant say boo....wear your suit, do your team role, shut the @#$%&! up, tape Alavi and lose the tape, @#$%&! off Betts, the young carlton professionals will save us,,,,they will know what to do,,,,

Yep, those were the days of 20k membership. We need to go back there!!!!

Very simplistic view...

We are Carlton, @#$%&! the rest !!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:54 am 
Harry Vallence

The club is in trouble. Most of us know that.

Not winning is hurting. The drafting of poor players has meant we have been forced to look for quick fixes to try and build a competitive team around Gibbs and Murphy. Simply we have lost a generation of supporters.

The people at the top think they are doing great and if it wasn't for them we would be in a worse situation. Could be true.

I will consider signing up my 4 and 6 year old on the cheapest membership. The 6 year old questions why I follow the blues (they never win) and my 4 year old follows the bombers and recently is showing more interest in the Swans.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:04 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Can someone explain to me why I received a 2015 membership card in the mail when I haven't renewed yet?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:55 am 
Bruce Doull

This club doesn't understand its fan base...
It thinks it's fan base must donate. It's running as a charity..
Ridiculous...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:29 am 
Stephen Kernahan

On the SEN twitter feed, KB is haveing a field day

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:34 am 
Bruce Doull

Well I have been saying this club has no clue.
They think if they win they will turn it all around.
But they can't win because they're are hopeless off the park to be good on it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:35 am 
Bruce Doull

I'm a broken record on this, but to me it seems to be quite simple. All the club has to do is pretend for a second that we don't have 16 premierships, some of the greatest names in the game or 150 years of history, and give a compelling answer to this question...

"Why should I support the Carlton Football Club in 2015 and beyond?"

If they can't answer this fundamental question, this club is [REDACTED].

#GUILTY

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:42 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

While the Club deserves a whack...

Isn't the article about issues with the membership system i.e. website/staff?

Not sure why they needed to add in the cold shoulder part as membership is still on track to be a record.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:47 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

billc3 wrote:
It's all about TRIBE ( engagement ).
Often go and buy gear from the Carlton shop ( birthdays, Christmas etc), is there a member's discount....no...but I can get a members discount at Sportmart....???
But I do get a "Custom AFL" voucher with the members pack...which has nothing to do with Carlton?

One example ...and there are lots of areas where you just don't feel like you belong

Almost every trip to Melbourne we visit the Carlton shop and hope we catch the boys training. I have 2 young Carlton fanatics who barrack for Carlton no matter what. What if I give up going to training coz its a waste of time? What if I stop subscribng to Foxtel? What if the people in the Carlton shop continue to look unhappy, dreary and unconnected to the fan base?

I have never seen anyone working in that shop smile. That's the face of Carlton. Put people who are passionate about Carlton be the interface for the club.

Does the club send out Birthday cards anymore?

Is the club still stuffing members around with their seating? ie taking them away then promising better only to split families up?
Its been said over and over and over....cant see the club changing...I've heard the Management state that there will be improvement every year over the last decade.

I dont think it has much to do with the 2 families and their support of the club but moreso the types of people the club employs off field and recruits on field.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 386 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20  Next