Talking Carlton Index Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington Lochie O'Brien Kerryn Harrington CFC Home CFC Membership CFC Shop CFC Fixture Blueseum
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:13 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:05 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/t ... 1tq7a.html

Quote:
On the eve of his 31st season as an AFL coach, Mick Malthouse has given some ground on the vexing issue that has increasingly proved to be his most famous Achilles heel: football's fifth quarter.

Speaking after a Carlton presentation that preached unity, respect and open communication, Malthouse said he would work to improve his after-match performances for the sake of his football club. His change of heart, he said, did not sit easily with him, but has come as much at the behest of the Blues' new regime as any enduring concerns about his legacy.

"I don't go out of my way not to get it right," Malthouse said, "but I understand it's not always been ideal. I'm not making any promises because I assure you I'm not rehearsed. Maybe some of the other blokes have been trained to handle it better."

A frank presentation on Tuesday, led by Carlton's new chief executive Steven Trigg and president Mark LoGiudice, played down 2015 on-field expectations and heavily hinted at a cultural shift away from the Blues' so-called "quick fix" mentality.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:29 am 
Serge Silvagni

Effes wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/to-avoid-a-blue-mick-malthouse-vows-to-pull-up-his-postmatch-socks-20141125-11tq7a.html

Quote:
On the eve of his 31st season as an AFL coach, Mick Malthouse has given some ground on the vexing issue that has increasingly proved to be his most famous Achilles heel: football's fifth quarter.

Speaking after a Carlton presentation that preached unity, respect and open communication, Malthouse said he would work to improve his after-match performances for the sake of his football club. His change of heart, he said, did not sit easily with him, but has come as much at the behest of the Blues' new regime as any enduring concerns about his legacy.

"I don't go out of my way not to get it right," Malthouse said, "but I understand it's not always been ideal. I'm not making any promises because I assure you I'm not rehearsed. Maybe some of the other blokes have been trained to handle it better."

A frank presentation on Tuesday, led by Carlton's new chief executive Steven Trigg and president Mark LoGiudice, played down 2015 on-field expectations and heavily hinted at a cultural shift away from the Blues' so-called "quick fix" mentality.

personally I would prefer honesty over a polished , deflective post match. I will be disappointed if the trash media force changes. Tail wagging the dog.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:21 am 
Alex Jesaulenko

TOO LITTLE TOO LATE SAKC

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:21 am 
Bruce Doull

Just ban Mark Stevens from the post match pressers. Sorted.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 10:10 am 
Bruce Doull

Effes wrote:
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/to-avoid-a-blue-mick-malthouse-vows-to-pull-up-his-postmatch-socks-20141125-11tq7a.html

Quote:
…A frank presentation on Tuesday, led by Carlton's new chief executive Steven Trigg and president Mark LoGiudice, played down 2015 on-field expectations and heavily hinted at a cultural shift away from the Blues' so-called "quick fix" mentality.

About time. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 11:03 am 
Robert Walls

Just wait

If we are 0 and 4 the media circus will start up again - in full swing.

I guarantee the journo's will already be drafting some witty one liners in preparation

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:47 pm 
Stephen Silvagni

Oh ffs just get Wiley or Macca to do the bloody postmatch presser.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:28 pm 
Stephen Kernahan

Bluey44 wrote:
Just wait

I guarantee the journo's will already be drafting some witty one liners in preparation

What's the problem? If we're 0-4, the coach should be accountable.
As a paying member, I would expect some hard questions asked of the club.
This is a multi million dollar organisation which financially functions off the good grace of the members. No one should be shielded from accountability.
Instead of focussing on being adversarial, the club should view it as an opportunity to explain the clubs direction and selling the positives (young players etc).
The "we're Carlton, @#$%&! the rest philosophy" has contributed to the shit position we find the club in. Thankfully the CEO and chairman seem to be finally dragging us into the 21st century.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:01 am 
Serge Silvagni

Blue Vain wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:
Just wait

This is a multi million dollar organisation which financially functions off the good grace of the members. No one should be shielded from accountability.
Instead of focussing on being adversarial, the club should view it as an opportunity to explain the clubs direction and selling the positives (young players etc).
The "we're Carlton, @#$%&! the rest philosophy" has contributed to the shit position we find the club in. Thankfully the CEO and chairman seem to be finally dragging us into the 21st century.

Agreed. The 5th quarter should be all about communication with the supporters and honesty over " polish and stats" SHOULD be the order of the day. BUT the reality is this , one, all coaches are going to be unwilling to give too much of their strategy away, two, will anybody listen to the truth if its not what they want to hear? Coaches and Politicians are on the same band wagon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:13 am 
Stephen Kernahan

padre wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:
Just wait

Agreed. The 5th quarter should be all about communication with the supporters and honesty over " polish and stats" SHOULD be the order of the day. BUT the reality is this , one, all coaches are going to be unwilling to give too much of their strategy away, two, will anybody listen to the truth if its not what they want to hear? Coaches and Politicians are on the same band wagon

They're just excuses IMO Padre. Do you really believe the other 17 clubs are going to learn anything from what a coach says in his post match presser? They are well and truly versed on how we play the game.
Minor tactics on the day may vary but let's be honest, the opposition would have a grasp on those by 5 minutes into the match.
As for supporters not listening to the truth, are you serious?
So it's the supporters/members fault that Mick doesn't react accordingly in the press conferences because "nobody listens to the truth if it's not what they want to hear". Pretty good there. Blaming the members/supporters for the inadequacy of the coaches!
Sorry to break the generalisation, but it's exactly what I want to hear. It also lets me know whether on not the club actually knows what "the truth" is. Let's be serious. There's been plenty of delusion and poor decision making at our club over the past 20 years. The more transparency the better IMO.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:26 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

padre wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:
Just wait

I actually prefer the video message I get from the coach on a Monday after a game once the dust settles.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:02 am 
Rod McGregor

Disappointing. MM in the post-match is the only bit of aggression we get from the Club.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:54 am 
Mike Fitzpatrick

Blue Vain wrote:
padre wrote:
Blue Vain wrote:
Bluey44 wrote:
Just wait

They're just excuses IMO Padre. Do you really believe the other 17 clubs are going to learn anything from what a coach says in his post match presser? They are well and truly versed on how we play the game.

The only thing we can ummm learn from ummm Alistair Clarkson is that ummmm he ummmm needs to ummmm engage the brain to the ummmm mouth a bit more ummmm in the ummmm press conferences.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:49 am 
Harry Vallence

It is not about telling the truth, it is about not acting like a fwit at a press conference. He has been a bit of an embarrassment to the club in that aspect.